It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Diabetes

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Diabetes

Postby killerbabe » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:46 pm

Well, it has finally happened, after years of abusing and punishing my body with fat and crap, I am a diabetic.

It was confirmed on Saturday and now I am just waiting for final results as to medication/diet etc, this should be wednesday.

it has rocked my world. in the back of my head i have known this for a while, just because of the way my body has been reacting to certain foods etc, but i thought it would be a "never happen to me" situation.

Bugger.

It is really bizarre to FINALLY have an illness that requires me to work hard on myself, it is almost like I was waiting for it.

Is this weird?

Does anybody else have diabetes and if so how are you managing this with diet. Do you follow low GI?

P.S. One saving grace is that my cholesteral levels and all those nasties that people talk about are SUPER GOOD. Yipppeeeeeeee
killerbabe

Postby Serena » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:31 pm

Sorry to hear about the diabetes diagnosis. At least it's something that is manageable. My mum is diabetic and she ignored all of the doctor's advice for years and they just kept increasing her medication all the time and now she has so many health problems, but if she had just taken the advice she was given early on she might have saved herself so much pain. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you - now you will have to learn to take care of yourself properly and treat your body with the respect it deserves.
Serena

Postby Fairie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:57 pm

Sorry to hear that Killerbabe but like Serena said it is manageable.

I was last tested for Diabetes about 3 years ago and everything was fine then.

Take care of yourself and keep us informed. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:24 pm

Hi Leah, yes the low GI diet is the one that's best for you.

My daughter is an insulin dependant diabetic (type 1) she was so skinny through year 7 and year 8 we had her tested and the bad news came through on her 13th birthday that she has to inject insulin 4 times per day because her pancreas was no longer functioning.
The good news about type 2 diabetes is that some people who religiously control their sugar and carb levels and cut out the crap drinking and eating can actually reverse it.
Johnno a friend of ours is no longer diabetic type 2 but he worked hard at being good.
hugs
Dolly

Postby emma21 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:00 am

Hi Killerbabe :)

I had Gestational Diabetes when I was pregnant with my daughter just over 2 years ago. It was managed purely by diet (GI Diet), and luckily it 'vanished' after I had bubba. I recently started with a new doctor who I had to give my medical history to and when the topic of my gestational diabetes came up, he bluntly said "You will have Diabetes later in life" (or words to that effect). I am hoping that by losing weight and getting into shape, I will avoid Diabetes later in life. :idea:

My Dad was diagnosed with Diabetes about a year ago (Type 2). He manages it through diet and pills. The pills upset his stomach a fair bit (I think its the same with all pills for Diabetes). He has a good hold on it now and he knows what he can and cannot eat and what effect different foods have on his blood sugar levels.

Diabetes isnt a death sentence by any means, just take all the advice you are offered and you should be able to manage it quite easily.

Have a good day

Emma :D
emma21

Return to Weight loss Talk