It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:17 pm

Free Newsletter

Weigh In's at school

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weigh In's at school

Postby sharmie » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:23 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not but here goes anyway.

What do you all think of all this talk about kids weighing in at school?

I know that when I was in grade 6 we had an assignment on the solar system and had to step on the scale for the assignment so we could figure out what we would weigh in the different gravities on all the different planets. I weighed in at 65kgs and I was so embarrassed by it that i lied when people asked me.

I mean if it was in private with the school nurse and noone else but the parents got access to the information it might be alright but kids are so compettitive and that that i'm sur that as soon as they had weighed in they would all be out in the playground asking each other what they got, and then theyd be teasing each other about who ever was heavier and that.

Sorry about the long post, just thought i'd try to see what everyone thinks about it.

Sharmie :wink:
Sharmie :wink:

sharmie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:29 am

As part of phys ed in high school we had to record our weight and height on a chart on the wall in the gym. I refused to do so because I didn't think that was information anyone else had a reason to know.

If they are dong that kind of thing as a health measure etc, then in private with a nurse or something is most appropriate I think.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Lolly » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:40 am

No way would I let my kids - none of them are overweight BUT I would not want to subject them to that sort of peer pressure. Going to school is stressful enough for kids these days but to add to it would be stupid.

My 15yr old son is 57kg and 5ft 7in - his BMI said he was underweight - we were just playing on the calorie king website the other night - he was stunned and immediately asked how he could put on weight. I had to sit him down and explain that he is still growing and considered a child so those things don't count at all - now if that can happen so easily in the home, imagine what would happen in the school yard.

Anorexia is rife in the teenage years - one of Goofs friends older brothers has been suffering with it - there is also the issue of teenagers and depression to think about as well. So, why add fuel to the fire?
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:09 am

Sounds like a silly idea to me. Kids weights should be treated as confidential health information and there should be no risk of it spreading around the classroom/playground :?
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 am

i remember the same thing at high school tegan- weighing in for p.e theory lessons and doing sit and reach tests and blood pressure tests and so on. i would nearly be in tears- not just for me but for many of the girls in the class who were also chubby like me. i dont think its a nessesity- now that ive left school those lessons had nothing to do with the career path i chose.

if they do bring it in it should be in with the school nurse like they do with dental checks in primary schools and it shouldnt be compulsary it should be permitted by the parents or guardians and it should remain confidential. too much emphasis these days is on children being fat or obese. maybe its time to educate parents better. its not good for childs social, cognitive and emtional development to be told theyre obese or fat. i was asked the other day if have given heidi lollies yet. what the!? she is 13 months old and some people are giving their children lollies at this age? i let her have a sweet biscuit once in a blue moon- like a arrowroot or scoth finger bikkie and thats it. anyway thats my two cents
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:04 am

I don't agree with it as like the replies I think it is a personal thing. If the weight and measurements were being taken in private to benefit the child's health, then that is different, but to openly humiliate these kids is wrong.

When I was in grade 6 the government of the day (Qld) bought out this fitness test thing that everyone had to do and we had to weigh in front of the whole class....it was very embarassing and then to have the teacher say...."My god you are heavier than I thought" really hurt....he then thought it would be good to get the 2 fattest kids in the class (me and another girl) to race against each other in the 100 meters as we wouldn't be able to keep up with the "normal" kids. I have never forgotten it and I am sure the other girl hasn't either.

You may not agree, but parents are ultimately at fault for their kids weight. Any kids will eat crap food all day long if you LET them. It is up to us to not provide those foods for our children, no matter how much they crack up. A friend of mine says it is easier to pack junk so she knows they will eat it!!! I say crap to that as if a child is hungry they will eat what is provided. My kids love junk, but they have it as a once in a while treat not part of their everyday diet. Sometimes they will revolt and come home with their sandwich, but they have eaten their muesli bar. So I take the muesli bar (my homemade ones) out of their lunch box for a couple of days and boy they sure eat that healthy sandwich!!! Parents need to take a good look at what they are doing to their childrens health and wake up and do something about it.....

I have carried the shame of being fat with me all my life and I was determined that my kids were not going to grow up the same.....they are allowed to have some things (such as a small packet 25g chips and sometimes they may have a bought muesli bar) but it is not that often and they prefer it in their lunchbox and at home! They get out and play sport or run around the yard...they are healthy and active......

Sorry for the rant, but schools have a lot to answer for, but parents need to step up to the mark!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby yummymummy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:23 am

I understand that childhood obesity is a problem that needs to be addressed but making kids weigh in is not a solution it wont achieve anything positive at all that I can see.
Education of parents on healthy eating; subsidised fruit and veges( my f & v bill is so expensive these days) may help parents make healthy choices on behalf of their kids
As Ally & otheres outlined there have been some crappy things happen to kids who have weight probs none of which had any positive influence on them at all
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby bluebox451 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:02 am

I completely agree with you Ally, parents definately are responsible for what their kids eat. ANd that's a great tip on the lunch box thing, when my daughter starts school next year, I'll definately be doing the same. I also remember being weighed in in front of the whole class with everyone's weight being recorded on the blackboard for evryone to see, oh the shame! :oops: :oops: I'll never forget it, I was probably about 10 kilos heavier than the other kids. And back then, there weren't as many overweight kids in school so I really stood out.
Liz :cry:
bluebox451

Postby ZelmaWA » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:31 pm

As a teacher, I really haven't been able to work out the reasoning for this yet. I have heard that it is so we can let parents know that their children have a weight problem. Well, I would imagine that most parents know if their children have weight problems and those who don't 'know' are often in denial, so telling them isn't really going to help.

I'm not sure I'm even keen on having the children weigh in front of the school nurse, because (as someone mentioned) it would still become playground chat and the heavier kids would just be embarrassed about either telling people their weight, or refusing to tell them.

I would figure that someone who has NEVER had a weight problem thought up this idea, because those of us who have ever had a weight problem know that NO amount of humiliation is going to make us want to lose weight. It has to be something that you do for yourself. Encouragement to eat well and exercise can come from school, but there is only so much we can do. I think that this whole concept is something that would be better focused upon in a doctor's office. Perhaps children should be required to have checkups every couple of years or so and then EVERYTHING can be checked out, not just their weight. I definitely don't believe that weight is the be-all and end-all of being 'healthy'. I start every school year with a group of young children who are barely able to run one lap of the school oval, and very few of them have weight problems. They are simply not fit in the least. So, does that make them healthy? I don't believe so. I believe that there are many people in this world who are in the 'healthy' weight range who are not necessarily fit or healthy.

Oh dear... I think I have ranted a little there, but this issue is just one more that is very close to my heart, as a teacher and as a person who has struggled with their weight for a VERY long time.

Good discussion.

Zelma[/u]
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby Lolly » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:41 pm

Zelma you hit the nail on the head there about the fitness.

At my sons school they do "health shuffles" for PE all the time, this is so much fun for the kids and gets them into good habits regarding their fitness.

I noticed last year that my youngest son was spending more and more time in front of the computer and the TV so I decided to do something about me and set him an example. Also, Santa helped by bringing him a bike for Xmas.

He now walks the 8 blocks to school each day, goes swimming with me whenever I go and rides his bike - he is a much fitter child and his concentration and sleeping patterns have improved.

My oldest son is always on the go (as most teenage boys are) - he skates and rides bikes and is always walking somewhere - I think he is probably the fittest person in our house lol

:oops: another scroller lol
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:12 pm

I totally agree with you Ally! If the weighins have a purpose and they are done in private, they are a great idea!
And it IS the parent's fault if the child is lazy/overweight!! There should be allocated "TV/Computer Time" each day and time when the kid has to do something physical. Teaching good habits is the only way we're not going to end up ahead of America in the obesity stakes!

A very good topic indeed!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Ally » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:50 am

Apparently we are the 3rd or 4th fattest country in the world....is that true??? (wouldn't surprise me!)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:53 am

Yeah that sounds about right :) Sad, isn't it!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:48 pm

i heard it was the 2nd most obese country behind the u.s but dont quote me on that!
kate_turner2000

Postby originalmel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:16 pm

I though the same as Kate.

Also I think we have, or are about to, overtake the US for ratio of obese kids
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk