It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Free Newsletter

Weigh In's at school

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dee » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:49 am

I just came across this thread - so late as it may be I'm adding my two (or two hundred) cents in here. This is an issue I am really passionate about, so if youre not interested in Dee on her soapbox, just stop readin here! :lol:

Humiliation is NEVER the way to make teens lose weight in a sensible and measured way. Yes we have a problem with childhood obesity, but really, what about the root cause of that problem. Not only do we have the incredible lack of excersize issue that exists in society today, but we also have an ENORMOUS problem with teen depression and eating disorders. How is announcing to the entire class that you are the fattest kid in class possibly going to help with ANY of these three issues.

Any school weigh ins should be done seperately to the rest of the class and in consultation with the parents - if at all. Greater education is the key, not more humiliation. As parents we have the right to insist onn decent treatment for our kids; not more pressure!

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Shelli » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi, I'd like to add something here too! Not so much about the weigh-ins (although I do agree on what you have all said about the subject.) Why give kids MORE weight issues!! :roll:

My son is now 8 and weighs about 35kg. That may sound like a lot but he is REALLY tall, with long legs to fill and has a great HEALTHY appetite.

My rant is more about what so many mums DO feed their kids! I think I have been more insistent on him having a healthy diet and NEVER allowing him to be overweight because of what I went through myself. I've been a classic YO YO dieter and have learnt a lot of what does and does not work over the years to LOSE weight, but it's also taught me how to give a child a healthy diet.

My son LOVES broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, peas, pumpkin... actually almost every veggie he has ever tried besides brussell sprouts, and fruit is a 3 a day thing!

Also he loves salad! And and all salad. I find it easy to feed him as mostly he will eat whatever I eat, I just give him extra! He has fruit for dessert (if anything), but he was never bought up with dessert, so has never really missed it. Sure, I still occasionally will get him a bought supermarket pizza or nuggets, or let him have a hotdog and big M for his lunch order.

Anyway, it amazed me when I was talking to one of his friends mothers (4 kids) when she was telling me her kids just REFUSE to eat anything but chicken nuggets and mashed potato or chips!!! What kind of diet is that? I took both to Maccas a few weeks back when the new pasta (healthier) kids meal came out. My boy wanted the pasta, this other kid... nuggets!

Even at my son's last (home) birthday party, I bought more nuggets than anything, and they were gone first, along with the chips. My boy was still sitting there eating a healthy quiche when the others had all scoffed down the nuggets, chips and frankfurts! LOL!

And not to mention... the stuff you see in some shopping trolleys!

AND... when my son was a baby, I would NOT let him have chips or lollies or anything bad. I would take him to visit the family and they would be offering him chips and ice-cream and all sorts of sugary stuff!!! They rolled their eyes at me when I insisted he could not have them.

So, my point is, I think that people that have struggled with their own weight are more determined to make sure their kids grow up being fit, healthy and happy. A treat every now and then is great... but they are more conscience of the sugar and fat content in things. People that haven't had the need to learn this for themselves should make the effort to learn this for the health of their kids!

WOW! Sorry. End of essay now. :oops:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/ww4C8GD/]
[/url]
Shelli

Postby Shelli » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:44 pm

Oh, and before somebody yells at me for what I just wrote:

I wasn't putting anybody's size into a category there.

Of course there are larger mums that will still let their kids eat whatever they want, and there are thinner mums that do take the time to feed their kids healthy food.

It's all up to the individual.
[/url]
Shelli

Postby Ally » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:50 am

I totally agree Shelli......we can blame the government, macca's, kfc etc for our kids weight gain, but we are their parents and it is up to us to say no to them.

I am a classroom helper in my son's class at school and my mind just boggles at the state of some of the kids "lunches". They have a healthy snack in the classroom at 10am and I have to tell you, some of the food that is in those lunchboxes is atrocious!! chips, roll-ups, cheese dip and bikkies (the processed crap) and things I can't even identify!! there is not a sandwich, wrap, fruit....anything in sight it is terrible and these kids have got to survive on this ALL day!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:06 am

In the age of "Healthy Schools" this should just not be happening. When are parents going to realise that they are ultimately responsible for what goes into their kids mouths? I have a friend who recently said to me "my son will just NOT eat fruit or vegetables, there's really nothing I can do."
Some advice on that subject- Children will not starve in the presence of healthy food. If all you offer is good food, eventually they'll eat it! You may have some tantrums for a few days - but they'll get through it. I had to take my sister's son for a week and he wouldn't eat anything but crap, so he spent half a day sulking and refusing to eat - until he got hungry. Then he sat down with my kids and scoffed half a plate of carrot sticks, watermelon and cheese. (amazing huh?)
Now he asks his mother for fruit all the time and puts carrots into their trolley at the supermarket. (I love that her 3 year old is teaching her good habits!)

But I'm beginning to sound self righteous and I must admit that my kids get Maccas once a fortnight or so and they do get a packet of chips for afternoon tea, but it is in moderation - so I don't feel too bad... Time will tell I suppose.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:46 am

just wanted to add about how some mums say their kids refuse healthy options. i went to high school with a girl who wouldnt eat any vegies. she was a great friend of mine and was quite big. i was in shock!

and in response to what shelli wrote about giving her babies lollys and so on. someone asked me the other day if heidi (my 14 month old) eats lollies. :shock: i cook her vegies and meat and she eats them. i mash them up and still feed her myself so i know she is getting the nutrients, and then i let her feed herself as well after i have fed her. she occasionally has a sweet biscuit like an arrowroot but thats it.

kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 am

I have to agree that parents are responsible for their childrens eating habits. This is something that I am passionate about, much to my 9 year olds disgust.

I make sure that my children are involved with meal planning. They have one night a week that they have something not so good (usually ends up being pies - Matts favourite) but the rest of the week we plan out together. He and I also have an afternoon called "treat day" (this only happens if he behaves for the whole week). This is time to ourselves, and part of that is afternoon tea out. He has surprised me at times with his choices, and I find that he is leaning toward healthier food rather than donuts, chips etc.

He is a fussy eater, but I have never given in, and put what is on the menu in front of him. If he won't eat it there is nothing else. I spoke to the doctor about it because I was worried that he may end up ill as a result (he is a skinny minny) but he told me that they won't starve themselves and to stick to my guns.

I am lucky in that my children all eat fruit till it comes out their ears, so if they have a day where the veges are light on at least I know that they are getting the vitamins they need from the fruit.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:13 am

hi judy it was the same with that show last year i think it was called honey were killing the kids or something like that. and if the kids didnt eat what was put in front of them they got nothing else. growing up we werent allowed to leave the table until we had made a conscientious effort to eat what was on our plates.

heidi doesnt like sultanas and often has a nibble then throws them off her high chair onto the floor but i still give them to her when she has a sandwich or when she has fruit etc - if i continue to offer them to her she might start eating them!
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:28 am

It is lovely to see that there are so many sensible mums out there.

Stick to your guns Kate :!: Heidi will thank you for it when she gets older.(probably much older :lol: ) Kids are a lot like a lump of clay - what we do with that clay is up to us. We can only hope that we are all heading in the right direction.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Shelli » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:10 pm

It's great to see that so many of you feel the same way! :D

In response to Ally's post (I think), I cannot believe mum's cannot at LEAST give their kids a sandwich in their lunchbox!

My boy LOVES peanut butter, so he quite often gets, but other times (which he loves just as much) he gets chicken and lettuce, or Ham and pickles. (We have a separate lunchbox with a freezable side panel which keeps his sandwich fresh and cold if there is meat in it.) Of course he always has wholemeal bread, and has never once complained about it.

And fruit! It's so easy! Why buy Roll-Ups when you can put in an apple or banana, or bag some grapes or even a box of Sultanas?
Carrot sticks are even a favourite here!

I suppose some people are 'thinking' they are making healthy lunch box choices when lots of pre-packaged things say '99% fat free' OR ''with the goodness of milk", or made from REAL fruit. What they don't mention is the added sugar. People really just need to take the time to read the labels if they are concerned at all.

And Kate... well done! I think the kids that get the healthier starts in life are the ones that do love their veggies! Much easier for you in the long run too. :D
[/url]
Shelli

Postby Ally » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:17 pm

Yeah I was a bit gobsmacked at the kids lunches to say the least!! My kids get a wrap or sandwich or a salad tub with pasta added for carbs as part of their staple lunch each school day. They get a homemade muesli bar (weight watchers) recipe a piece of fruit, some fruity bites (cereal) if I have it and a juice they also get water crackers and cheese (real cheese, not processed garbage) and they love the carrot and celery sticks too!!! On the odd occasion they get tuckshop it has to be a healthy option as well.....once in a blue moon they are allowed to have a 25g pkt chips OR an ice cream!!!!
[/url]
Ally

Postby Jisgone » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:00 pm

speaking of this subject, about 5 minutes ago i was talking to a girl i sortve know on msn, she has an 11 month old son and said to me 'i have to go make ryan nanchos now' she makes them out of corn chips tomato sauce and kraft singles so they dont contain ANYTHING nutritious, hes a really chubby baby too. i think its horrible, shes a very big girl herself and isnt doing him any favours at all!
Jisgone

Postby Shelli » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:13 pm

Ally wrote:....once in a blue moon they are allowed to have a 25g pkt chips OR an ice cream!!!!

LOL! Everybody needs a treat once in a while! The difference is, they will consider it a treat, not an every day thing, which is really great!

Do you mean real cheese, as opposed to cheese spread? My son has never been much of a cheese fan (not like his mum! :oops:) but occasionally he will go through a faze and enjoy the Kraft cheese sticks, or grab a slice from the fridge. I try to leave all the REAL real cheeses in the Supermarket. They wouldn't last long in this house! :roll:

Ally wrote:... 'i have to go make ryan nanchos now' she makes them out of corn chips tomato sauce and kraft singles

Oh, that is so sad! Only 11 months?? What hope does the poor kid have? :cry: :roll:
[/url]
Shelli

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:02 pm

LOL thats incredible... :shock:
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:12 pm

Nope actually that was Jewels who wrote that about her friend's son, not me Shelli!!! LOL *shudder* at an 11 month old baby being fed that sort of crap!!!

hhehee No I meant the cheese slices that come in a plastic wrap!! I call it plastic cheese...sorry no offense to those who eat them!!!
[/url]
Ally

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk