It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Free Newsletter

Weigh In's at school

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby yummymummy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:40 pm

There are some really uneducated parents out there who basically dont have a clue what to feed their kids or live with such poor financial organisation that they dont see that investing say $50 bucks on a grocery shop will get then 3-4 meals in comparrison to spending $10 at maccas for 1 meal, its increadibly sad to think of the long term damage they are inflicting on their kids health.
My children have learnt to eat whatever is given to them without fuss (OK maybe my 3 1/2 yr old is not quite there yet but he is pretty good and will give most things ago) and on friday nights its junk night, my daughter will make her delish homemade icecream or cake or they can pick a treat from the shops(PODS are popular at the mo)if they go to a party they have whatever but they understant the importance of a balanced diet not from a weight point of veiw but for their general health and energy.
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:21 am

i agree jody about some parents being uneducated but i also think a lot of the parents are lazy! :?
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:32 am

I agree Kate! the amount of parents who just "couldn't be bothered" amazes me!!! What annoys me is the breakfast clubs at school!! I think it is about time these irresponsible parents get their centrelink pay docked.....see them do something about it then!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby sanjo47 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:17 pm

I agree with what everybody else has said on this subject. As a slight deviation from this is that I amazed at the number of children who don't drink water. When I was a child (yes quite a number of years ago now!!), that is all we had to drink. We only had soft drinks on our birthdays. As a consequence, I did the same with my two children & to this day (a 29 year old daughter & 26 year old), they both prefer to drink water!! What are other peoples thoughts on this matter?

There's a brand new me on the way!
sanjo47

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:29 pm

hi jane i have to be honest with you that as a kid i rarely drank water which is probably why i never drank it until i started my weightloss journey! we either had poppas, juice, milk etc sometimes soft drink- not often though.

my daughter refuses cows milk and wont drink juice (which is a good thing!) and all she drinks is water, i am continiously filling her sippy cup up with water- its wonderful!
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi Jane, I was bought up the same way! My kids don't get much but water to drink. I bought cordial and it sat in the cupboard for months, because nobody thought about it - they were just used to turning on the tap. :lol:

They do drink milk, it has started to build up my skinny minny, but it is limited to 1 glass for breakfast and 1 for afternoon tea if they want it (sometimes they have it in a milkshake).

Water all the way - its cheap too!

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby garn » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:34 pm

An easy way to get kids interested in sport is Little Athletics...we signed the girls up for this season and they love it. They have a booklet that you record all the times/distances so they can follow their progress and it not only gives them a chance to see how they improve it also teaches the most valuable lesson of all (which seems to be lacking) how to lose but still be proud of your acheivement. Its a great environment for the kids and i recommend it for any parent looking for a start into physical activities for children.

Mini Goal 100
garn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:51 pm

yeah its good to teach kids that winning isnt everything and to be a good sportsman (sportsperson to be politcally correct!)

when heidi is at school then she can choose what outside of school activity she would like to do. but im only going to let her do one at a time. my sister had my niece in 3 different types of dancing and soccor all at once- firstly we cant afford that! and secondly we dont have the time! but for the time being she doesnt swimming lessons once a week in the mums and bubs classes :)
kate_turner2000

Postby sharmie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:51 pm

Jane wrote: As a slight deviation from this is that I amazed at the number of children who don't drink water.

Along the same lines as this, the most disturbing thing I think i have ever seen as far as what kids are drinking goes, is i was waiting to catch the train to uni one day and i was sitting at the train station, not too far along the platform there was a mother with a littlie in a pram, the llittlie couldn't have been even two years old, and she was giving him COKE in his bottle!!! :shock: No wonder there is such a problem with the state of kids teeth these days.

I hope that when i finally have kids that i can bee as good with tesching them healthy eating habits as all of you guys, especially you Ally, your kids are so lucky to be getting homemeade musli bars in their lunch box instead of stor bought ones, I am sure there are plenty of kids at school who are jealous! I know that i would be!

Sharmie :wink:

sharmie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:53 pm

my sister used to put coke in my nephews bottle- his teeth are now all rotted until his adult teeth come through :(
kate_turner2000

Postby sharmie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:18 pm

Its so depressing when you here about things like that. Coke is so chock full of sugar it is not funny, and not to mention the caffine it contains. I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that kids under the age of 10 shouldn't be having caffine let alone kids under the age of five, or even 2!

I was totally addicted to coke untill a a month or so ago. at that point i was drinking 3 LARGE cokes a day at work, one when i started, one on my break and one when i finished, then i would go home and drink some more. I was no doubt consuming in excess of 2 or 3 litres of coke a day. One day my mum just said "Sharman you need to stop drinking coke". So i did. It was bit hard to start off with, i got some headaches and that withdrawing from the caffine but i got through it, i know have sprite instead of coke and i only have one a day instead of three. I got coke by sccident yesterday,and i figuered well i paid for it i better drink it, and i didn't like the taste, no risk of me reverting. I hate the stuff now! Not to mention the fact that the middle fell out of one of my wisdom teeth and one of the others has a huge cavity. Steer clear of coke, its evil :twisted: .

sharmie

Postby yummymummy » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:42 pm

[quote="sharmie"]Its so depressing when you here about things like that. Coke is so chock full of sugar it is not funny, and not to mention the caffine it contains. I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that kids under the age of 10 shouldn't be having caffine let alone kids under the age of five, or even 2!

No kids can not metabolise caffine so it can damage their livers if they have too much of it when they are young
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:08 am

Yes Sharmie it is terrible that mums are allowing their children (12 months is the youngest I have seen!!) to have coke in their bottles!! to hear that Jody about it damaging childrens livers what hope have these poor little tykes got???
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:44 pm

I know I'm no wonder-mum and that I more often than not get things wrong where my kids are concerned, but I am determined to teach them better food habits than I was taught. And it seems to be working okay. Today we were looking after a friend of my sons and popped in to my mother in laws. As we were leaving Dane's friend pipes up with:
"Oh, my Nanna is really nice - she give me lollies all the time." suggesting that Dane's Nanna isn't as nice, because she doesn't. Dane returns almost instantly with "You should tell your Nanna not to give you too much lollies or you'll get a sick tummy!"
I LOVE MY SON!!!!

Dane is proud of making 'healthy food choices' and there are so many healthy options out there that even though he doesn't like letttuce or celery, he can still find plenty of options without resorting to junk. Usually, anyway!

I can only pray that this is something he'll take with him into adulthood.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:05 am

HI dee
as parents sometimes it is hard to know whether we are doing things right or not, but when you hear your kids coming out with comments like that- that is what makes you proud and know you are heading in the right direction :) good on ya mum!
kate_turner2000

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk