It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:26 am

Free Newsletter

Full Moon vs eating/weight issues

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Full Moon vs eating/weight issues

Postby ZelmaWA » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:39 pm

I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I couldn't work out where else it would fit in.

I have been reading about a number of people who have been having 'symptoms' of TOM (Time of The Month) lately, but not necessarily expecting TOM. Now, I KNOW that I am not due for TOM because he only just 'left the building' on Tuesday (after a LONG and very aggravating visit), but I have had all of the symptoms over the last few days. I've had the cravings, been REALLY tired, moody and I've gained weight that is now coming off, just as it would when a period started.

Well... getting to my point... I have a funny feeling (and I warn you that you may laugh about this) that these 'symptoms' are due to the full moon.

Many years ago I asked a doctor about my mood swings and I mentioned that I felt as though they were affected by the full moon. Well, she asked me "Where do you think the term 'lunatic' comes from?" So, it is a FACT that the full moon affects people's emotions, but now I'm wondering if it actually affects the HORMONES, which then affect the emotions. I truly feel as though I have been building up for TOM this week, and since that can't be true, then there has to be another reason for it. Now I have been told that I am perimenopausal, so my hormones are a little messed up anyway, but the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that I am onto something here.

For AGES I have thought, approximately once a month (so full moon would make sense) I was due for TOM to visit. Well, after the cravings, exhaustion, weight gain and mood swings, nothing would happen. Things would just return to normal and I would go along on my merry way until this all happened about 3 or 4 weeks later. (I actually only get TOM visiting every few months, and for a while there I didn't get a period for YEARS.) I never even related the two until this week, and that was only because I KNEW it couldn't be TOM coming as it has only just finished.

Well... if you have all stopped laughing at the 'crazy lady' now, I was wondering whether anyone else has noticed something weird like this. I mainly thought about it because it seems as though MANY of us feel the same way about the same time each month, but we talk about TOM visiting at different times, so I figured that I may not be the only one who could be howling at the moon this evening.

One reason I mentioned this is because I find it hard enough to keep off the weight that I have lost, and I don't need things like this to happen and make life even MORE difficult, with extra cravings and weight gain.

Just giving you all something to ponder. Well, maybe two things... ONE - Could Zelma be making some sense here? and TWO - Could Zelma just be going crazy?

Take care,

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby Lolly » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:48 pm

Zelma this came up on another forum I am a member of

Have a read of this

http://www.mirandagray.co.uk/redmoon/red-moon.html
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby ZelmaWA » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:14 pm

I can see how she is relating the menstrual cycle with the lunar cycle, but it appears that she is only using that to show the four parts of the cycle. I'm not sure she is saying that the moon actually affects us in other ways as well, which could be similar to our menstrual cycle. I may not be reading it correctly though. It is Friday and I have just finished my first week back at work after 7 weeks of holidays. My mind is a little 'fuzzy' at the moment.

Thanks for the link.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

ZelmaWA

Postby Lolly » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:18 pm

My mind was very fuzzy when I read it too Zelma - but it was because I read it after taking 2 nurofen plus tablets to try and stop the period pain I was having :oops:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Ally » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:44 pm

To be honest I have not noticed this but will keep a keen eye out for it!!

However, your doctor was correct!! I used to work in an Aged Care Facility before I was married as an AIN....I loved the work, but hated the time of the full moon as the dementia patients were really hard to control. I did not believe this until I witnessed it myself as I wondered why the RN's would say they were in for trouble tonight etc. A couple of the ladies I worked also used to work in the mental health wing at the local hospital here and they said they hated the full moon occurances!!!

Not quite the same thing, but just to let people out there know that it does happen!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:51 pm

I think the moon cycles do have an effect on us but have not personally charted it. I am interested in the moon phases anyway but will start relating it back to myself physically to see if there is anything that pops out.

I find since I had a large cyst removed (along with my left ovary and fallopian tube) in late 2005 approx 2 weeks after TOM (lol I like that) leaves I get all the symptoms again including sometimes light spotting. Spoke to the gyno about it and asked if it could be when I am ovulating and she thought most likely. So now it's like having TOM over twice per month although the mid visit is a short one...just as well!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby originalmel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:21 pm

I used to work at a nightclub and the full moon always used to bring out all the nutcases. There were more fights, more drunks, and more overdoses everytime the moon was full. I used to start work before dark and never paid much attention to the moon, but then you'd get a crazy night and viola! The moon was full...

My Mum works at a hospital and says the same thing about the mental patients too.

I've never noticed it with my periods though, but I'm not a big sufferer of PMS or anything so I guess i wouldn't.

Out of interest, are you a Cancerian?
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby ZelmaWA » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:15 pm

Nope - Aries.

Actually, it's quite funny really, because I used to always notice that the kids at school would be particularly 'wild' on some days and by the time I had come home to 'recover' I would work out that it was a full moon. We often joke about the kids being worse around the full moon, and now it seems as though their teacher isn't any better. I don't envy visitors to our classroom at 'that' time of the month.

Oh... and I forgot to mention that my poor husband REALLY suffers if TOM visits at the same time as a full moon - Double Whammy!

Zelma

ZelmaWA

Return to Weight loss Talk