It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Free Newsletter

All you can eat buffet dinner - Help!!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

All you can eat buffet dinner - Help!!

Postby originalmel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:58 pm

So I just started losing weight this week, and in another week, I have to go out for dinner to a buffet. It's seafood, but they have a chocolate fountain of all things. AND it's $65/person which makes it hard not to eat much!!!

I'm already pissed off that we have to go, because it's my Brother in Law's B'Day, and while he is cool, I just can't justify dragging my 2 kids out (one is a 10 week old), and paying $200+ (all up) for a dinner I wont even be able to eat and I don't really like! My Mother in Law arranged it knowing we are cash strapped, and even though we have paid for her for my husbabnds last 2 birthday dinners, as well as ourselves obviously, we are all paying for ourselves for this one!!

In fact, the more I write about it, the madder i get!! I think I will just stay home with the kids and hubby can go!

But just in case, any tips for the buffet?
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby Jisgone » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:29 pm

last time i got invited to a buffet i stayed at home, but it depends how good u are at controlling yourself! i would eat everything in sight especially if i paid $65 :oops: maybe make a plan of what your allowed to eat so u know before u even get there what your going to have
Jisgone

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:26 pm

Honestly I don't think I'd tempt myself this early in the weight loss process if it were me.

Surely your family would understand that you're just not able to spare that kind of cash right now.

If you do end up going I'd suggest
    Don't go hungry (have some fruit, yoghurt etc a little while before you go)
    Drink lots of water while you're there...if you keep a glass of water in your hand as much as possible you'll eat less
    Don't fill your plate...go to the buffet and take only a couple of items back to your seat...if you have to get up and go to the buffet more often you'll eat less
    make at least a mental list of what you will and won't choose...even better get some pictures in your head of things you WILL choose such as cooked prawns (at least you'll feel like you're getting your money's worth if you eat those), steamed items like dim sims rather than fried, tomato based soups & pasta sauces etc...have a real clear picture of what you're going to eat and you're less likely to eat the other stuff
    allow that you're going to try the chocolate fountain...but in moderation...use fruit pieces for dipping and don't have a bucket's worth...but don't imagine you'll deny yourself entirely as then you'll only feel frustrated and be more likely to blow it
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby SarahC » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:05 am

I agree, definitely have something small to eat before you go... you do not want to arrive there ravenous! Have it in your mind what you are going to eat before you go, and make sure you stick to just one serving of each course, ie - one entree, one main and one dessert, no seconds! Also, use the smaller plates, don't pick up one of those giant dinner plates, that should make sure your portion sizes are smaller.

They're the main things I can think of. Other points - maybe sit with your back to the food, so you are looking out the window... less looking at food means less thinking about food, which means less eating! Try not to drink too much alcohol as this makes it very hard to control what you are eating. And... go for the expensive stuff!!! Don't waste your calories and money on the cheap bread rolls :D
SarahC

Postby Ally » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:48 am

:shock: $65 a head even for kids???? that is crazy!!!! That is about the equivalent of a weekly shop for a family of 6 for us ($200 I mean not $65!!) I know this sounds censored, but I wouldn't go purely on the principal of it!! What a lot of money wasted on a one night event!! As you say Mel you are a bit cash-strapped at the moment (I think most of us can sympathise there mate) so to go and spend money you dont really have shouldn't be expected of you (particularly when the monster in law knows you guys are!) I would make an excuse not to go and stay with your kids!

However in the unfortunate event of "this is going to tear the family apart if you don't go" situation I think the girls had some great advice for your "night" out
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Lolly » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:29 am

Personally I have vowed to avoid all you can eat places for the next six months so if I was forced to go, I would have to co-ordinate a set of handcuffs with my outfit :lol:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Sassygirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:08 pm

My family is off to Sizzlers tonight and I have just said to them that I will not go - they are all aware that I am on a weight loss journey and respect me for that - otherwise I cannot help myself when it comes to a buffet - to me it means that I HAVE to EAT everything in site!!!!!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby bluebox451 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:35 pm

I definately wont be any help on this subject as I am completely hopeless when it comes to buffets :oops: :oops:
Sarah's got some good tips there, allow yourself a small serve of whatever you like and dont go overboard on anything. (Easy for me to say) I could completely skip the food part and just sit in front of the dessert section all night :P :P
See, I told you I wouldnt be any help :?
Liz
bluebox451

Postby ZelmaWA » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:43 pm

I went to a buffet for lunch the other day, and had a lovely meal. Mind you, it is probably a little easier for me, because I have been on this new lifestyle journey for over 3 years now, so it was MUCH easier for me to avoid the foods that I KNEW my system simply wouldn't react well too. It has been so long since I have had greasy, creamy, fried etc... foods that I know that I would have an upset stomach for ages if I even considered eating it. It may be worth you perhaps getting into that same mind-frame. Just tell yourself during the night that you are 'allergic' to most of the foods there. Basically, that is what I tell myself now. My body is kind of allergic to the foods because I certainly don't get a good reaction when I eat them.

So, I ended up having two full plates of food for the main part of the meal. That may sound like a lot to most people, but I made sure that most of my plate was covered with fresh salad (first plate) and steamed vegetables (second plate) before I added some steamed fish or chicken, and a little plain roast beef (no gravy). I decided on the beef because I don't eat red meat much at all, simply because I prefer chicken and fish, and I felt that my body could do with a little extra iron at the time. I looked for salad and vegetables with little or no dressing, which reduces the calories SO much. The good thing about having mostly salad and veggies is that you can still take a long time to eat - like the other people - but you are consuming FAR fewer calories than they are. People often look at the amount I eat and comment that it is a lot, but then I remind them that my enormous salad is still a LOT healthier and has far fewer calories than their meat pie/pizza/creamy pasta... etc... They kind of shut up after that.

To finish the meal I had a small bowl of dessert. I had mostly fresh fruit, with a couple of little 'extras' to satisfy my sweet tooth. I had a small piece of strawberry flan and a very small portion of strawberry mousse.

The entire meal was simply delicious and I didn't feel as though I missed out on anything at all. There was lots of seafood there, but I don't eat most seafood, so I didn't bother with that, although that is definitely a good choice if it isn't smothered in sauces.

I was probably a little overly full afterward the meal, but that feeling didn't last long and I was just comfortably full for the rest of the afternoon. I honestly felt as though I got my money's worth, although it was less than $30 for each of us, which is a MUCH better deal than it sounds as though you are getting. We went to Burswood censored for this meal too, so it wasn't just some cheap restaurant. I would certainly want something extremely special for $65 a head!

To be honest, I think it is rude of anyone to expect people to pay that much for their birthday dinner. If you want to go out with your own partner and pay that much, fine, but don't expect other people to be willing to do the same. Would it be possible to discuss alternatives with the brother-in-law?

Anyway... I just wanted to let you know how I survived the buffet. It IS possible to still eat quite a lot, and to not just pick at a small amount of food, but you have to be willing to eat your veggies before you get your 'treats'.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby originalmel » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:13 pm

Well none of them know I am serious about losing weight yet, so I guess I can't expect anything there. However, my hubby is very overweight, as is my mother in law, and my sister in law has bulimia, so I really can't see how it's going to be good for anyone...

It's not my brother in law who's organised it, it's my mother in law. She can't think about anything else but food ever!!

Anyway, I've pretty much decided I'm not going, unless my hubby really wants me too (he is away till Monday). You know what else shits me? There are 10-15 people going @ $65/head. So that's like $650-$925 just for food!! I would rather we all gave him the money than waste it on one meal!

Anyway, thanks for all your help! I will be fine. It's just hard not to want to get 'your moneys worth' for that price!
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[/url]
originalmel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 pm

just ring your brother in law and explain that you cant afford it. we organised a tenpin bowling day followed by lunch for my fiances birthday last year and we invited his sister and her family and she just rang nicely and said we would like to drop around that weekend some time to bring a gift over but unfortunately we cant afford a day out this time around. and we totally understood. it was still nice to see her when she brought her partner and kids over for a visit and my fiance didnt feel ignored. we cant afford to pay for everyone to go to a do like that. and when we were invited to lone star for her birthday i flat out told my mother in law we cant afford it. and they told us they were shouting everyone and thats the only reason we went along.

you shouldnt feel obliged to go- and if they cant understand then thats their problem. its a lot of money i agree and ive seen the way food is prepared in buffet places and im telling you now- you DONT want to eat there! haha

best wishes with whatever you choose to do :)
kate_turner2000

Postby originalmel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:33 pm

Yeah Kate, thanks for that.

That's the other thing too. I'm trying to conceive so don't want to get food poisoning!
Mel

[/url]
originalmel

Postby tree » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:02 am

Buffets are hard work if you are trying to watch your food intake.
The girls have all given you some pretty good advice.

I was thinking of something I read a while ago - it might be Dr Phil it said that you should always imagine your plate in quarters 1 quarter should be protien 1 qtr should be carb and the rest veg/salad. Maybe that approach will help you at the buffet table. If you have loads of veg/salad everytime you go up you wont really end up eating to much bad stuff.

And i definately agree stay away from the alchohol. You pay for it twice - it weakens your resolve so you eat junk at the time and the next day with a hangover all you want to eat is the nice greasy salty chips and burger type food.
T.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg
tree

Return to Weight loss Talk