It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:45 am

Free Newsletter

Not consuming enough calories/kilojoules

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Not consuming enough calories/kilojoules

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:24 pm

So I was reading another weight loss forum tonight and came across a thread with a girl's food diary in it, and about how she's upped her kilojoules a bit... This is a reply to her thread:

"Just wanted to say that I'm glad you've decided to up your calories a bit....you won't see the benefits now but believe me it will pay off for you when you hit your goal weight and begin to maintain it...over a long period a really high calorie deficit plays havoc on your metabolism...I've been down the too low cal road twice and each time regained the weight (plus some) fairly quickly once I returned to "normal" eating. This time I purposely kept the calories to the highest amount that would still allow a weight loss......the payoff is that I can now maintain my weight while happily chowing down on 1900-2100 cals a day."

Now, I have my kilojoule count for the day (around 6300kJ), but I usually have about 2000kJ left over that I don't eat... I know you're supposed to eat all your kilojoules and I never got to the minimum 1200kJ but I was still losing weight so I thought it was a good thing!

But reading this has kind of scared me... I know your body is supposed to go into "starvation mode" if you don't consume enough kilojoules, but I always thought that this would happen like that week or not long after you didn't eat all your kilojoules.

So is it a delayed effect?! Do you reckon if I keep on having my 2000kJ left over that my body will one day soon go "umm nope, you haven't been eating enough, have some of that fat back that you lost!" ????

I was looking over my food diaries and have actually noticed that a few weeks ago, I consumed more kilojoules (I was eating more at night) and I did less exercise but I lost a LOT more than I usually do (I lost 1.2kg that week, and the next week I only lost .4kg when I had eaten less and exercised more). So as of tomorrow I am going to try and eat more kilojoules.
How weird does that sound?! I'm not going to eat the whole extra 2000kJ tomorrow, because I think that would make my body wonder what the hell was going on, so I'm just going to increase it over a few days til I only have a small deficit going.

What are peoples thoughts? Do you think it will work!? I'm scared to death it'll make me put on weight!!! I guess I can always reduce my intake back down if I don't lose any weight.

I'm actually quite obsessive about having my 2000ishkJ extra deficit, in that I would try and find the most kilojoule 'efficient' meals so that I could keep that deficit. Crazy, huh!!! I know I'm definitely going to need to eat more soon because I'm starting TAFE and going to be working more and I'll just need more fuel to keep me going.

Anyway, enough of my novel. I don't even know if this made any sense but I'd love people's opinions on this.

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Jisgone » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:47 pm

ive had some concerns about this too, to maintain my weight i need to eat 2520, calorie king recomends i eat 1750 and i try and reach around 1300 but im wondering if that isnt enough. i never feel really hungry or like im missing out on anything but i might ask my doc next time i visit just to make sure
Jisgone

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:52 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one with concerns, Jewles!!! Back when I got back on the wagon in October I was consuming a lot more kJ, I'd only have an extra deficit of a few hundred kJ, if that.. and I was still losing a decent amount of weight. So I think that if I gradually increase my kJ back up to what it should be, I'll be alright!!!

How confusing does it want to be though, grrr!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Jisgone » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:55 pm

my deficit is just over 5000kjs, thats from calories i need to maintain compared to what i consume but with excercise it makes the deficit upto 6700kjs a day i think im eating like a skinny person when im not one yet!
Jisgone

Postby Fluffy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi there,

It is happening to me at the moment...not eating enough and exercising "too much". Your body does go into starvation mode and it doesn't know what to do so it hangs onto your fat stores. I had my trainer look over my food diary which I religious kept for 7 days and he said I could be eating a whole lot more - up around the 1800-2000 calorie mark but I am only doing about 1600. I have said on the forum before that some times it is hard to actually eat more food but your body does become "conditioned" to not having much food and that's when you weight loss slows down. There have definitely been times when I have eaten more, kept my exercise up and still lost weight.
Fluffy

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:07 pm

I know exactly what you mean, eating like a skinny person when we're not there yet!!! I guess I'd do anything to speed the process along but it actually hasn't at all, some weeks where I had the highest extra deficit, I lost bugger all!!
My weekly extra deficit from my 6300kj per day is around the 14000 mark.
Now THAT'S bad!

At least I get to eat more, WOOHOO :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Fluffy » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 pm

I was thinking great more food but had a gentle reminder it needs to be "right foods"- boring!
Fluffy

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:11 pm

Ooh thanks heaps for that Fluffy!! It's good to hear someone whose gone through it's point of view!

Haha that's right - it has to be the 'right' foods.
But that's no problem :D Plenty of yummy, healthy foods out there!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Jisgone » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:14 pm

the past two weeks ive had big deficits and big losses, but it might take a while for my body to decide im starving :( once i get into double digits ill up my calories a bit might, i start uni soon so i will need more energy to concentrate
Jisgone

Postby evilwomaniamshe » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:50 pm

Hey Em,
I wouldn't obsess or worry over this too much. It looks to me as if you are doing it right, just look how far you have come in achieving your goal weight. In my opinion, MAINTAINING the weight once you lost it, that definitenly is the hardest part. However, just remember moderation is key, as is exercise once you get there. So if you continue on eating healthy and exercising & yet allowing yourself some treats along the way, you will hold your own. Remember it takes 3,500 extra calories to gain a pound. (not sure how many kilo's that is for you), so just remember DO NOT GO over that limit too many days in a row or yes, some poundage will creep back on. You are strong willed and Darn Dedicated Em, and I know you will SUCCEED, your an inspiration to me!
evilwomaniamshe
evilwomaniamshe

Postby Lolly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:48 am

I worry about this too

At WW they used to say " you have to eat to lose weight successfully" I think this is what they meant.

Now Calorie King tells me I can eat 14oo calories a day - I have been sticking to 1200 quite successfully and losing weight slowly, is this enough?
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Lolly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:50 am

I just checked it then for what I should eat when I am at goal weight - it says 1293 calories so I think I might be fine - adding in an extra 93 calories should be easish for me to do when I am there.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby laura » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:48 am

From ancient times our body learned that there are times when is plenty of food (ussually summer) and there are times when food is difficult to find (winter). So, we adapted to this, when there is not enough food the body tents to hold on to it's reserves (fat) and when a time comes when it's plenty of food our body does it's best to 'save it' .

That's why it's so important to eat at least 1200 calories/day and to produce the deficit from exercising not straving.

Now it's time to confess :oops: that I too am guilty for eating less than 1200 cal/day sometimes.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVPFGZa/]
[/url]
laura

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:22 am

Thanks guys for your thoughts on this!!!

I know I'm doing fine NOW, but what that lady on the forum is saying that it's a delayed effect and once I get into maintenance and start eating a lot more food, my body will be like WOOHOO, FOOOOD! KILOJOULES! And make me put on weight!!
So am definitely going to try harder to eat more.

1200cal is the minimum to eat, so you should be fine Lolly :) :)

And Jewles, if you start uni you'll definitely need more food!! When I was studying, I ate a bit more because I'd get hungry for morning and afternoon tea from thinking so hard!!

Thanks again everyone, it's been a huge help!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:33 am

I totally agree with what that woman was saying I mean you can't deprive your body of calories to lose weight then suddenly expect your body to cope with extra calories. That is why the heavier you are the more your body needs to lose weight, then as you start losing you decrease them to your bodies needs otherwise where do you go if you start off so low?? She makes perfect sense and thanks Em for posting it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk