It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Free Newsletter

Not consuming enough calories/kilojoules

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:54 am

i wonder how many i should eat then, calorie king says 1750 but it seems too much for me maybe ill try for 1500 and see how that goes
Jisgone

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:56 am

YOu can only give it a try Jewels.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:23 am

That's it Jewles, we'll both give it a go and increase our calories and see how we go!!! :):)

PS Gorgeous sunflower, Ally :D
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Groovychic » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:03 am

Em, I've been thinking about the larger than normal loss you had in the week where you ate more food but didn't exercise very much and the following week you did more exercise but ate less. I think that you may have lost a small amount of muscle that week, hence the larger loss, and then gained it back the following week, the smaller loss. Thats my thoughts on it anyway. They say the more muscle your body has the more amount of calories it requires to live. Everyone needs to find that perfect balance between muscle, exercise and how much you eat, to maintain their weight. It will be a lot of trial an error. To me if you are losing weight with exercising for 30 - 40 mins a day and eating say 1300 - 1400 cals, when it comes to maintanence then maybe increasing the food to 1600 or so cals and dropping the exercise by 10 mins a day should be able to maintain. That would be my theory on it. When I lost 10 kgs some years back I stopped exercising, ate a small amount more, but basically did minimal exercise. I still kept losing for about a month. I remember quite clearly a work mate saying are you still trying to lose weight and I answered no but it's still coming off and I'm hardly exercising. Mind you I was in my late 20's then and it is much easier to lose weight the younger you are, apparently!!! But I realise now I was losing my muscle mass and turning back into fat, which of course is much lighter than muscle. So if I don't exercise for a week I tend to lose a bit of weight, but the following week if I go back into the exercise I put it back on because of the change of fat to muscle or vice versa! Now that is just my theory with it and don't know how true it is!!! :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:13 am

Daily Caloric Intake

This calculation estimates your daily caloric intake. These figures are not set in stone and your daily caloric intake should be slightly adjusted based on your individual needs. You must experiment with the above caloric intake number and either add or remove about 500 calories. Of course those desiring weight loss need to remove 500 calories per day from diet and through exercise. Conversely, if you're after muscle gain you should add 500 calories to the above figure. This calorie modification, either plus or minus, depending on your goals, should be experimented for a 1 - 2 week period. Bodyweight must be recorded prior to diet changes and after 1-2 weeks.
Losing weight or more correctly losing bodyfat.

If your health fitness goal is to lose weight you must experiment with your daily calorie intake. A diet is nothing more than a reduction in calories. Often switching to lower fat content foods will bring about this reduction in calories since fat holds more than twice the calories per gram than carbohydrate or protein(1). It is proven that those that losing more that 0.5 - 1.0 per week are severely burning muscle and dramatically decreasing metabolism. This must, and if you stick to the above, can be avoided.

Perhaps more importantly a bodyfat test needs to be performed so that you are sure what exactly it is that you lost - either muscle or fat. This test usually done by skinfold measurements will determine your subcutaneous (under skin) fat stores. You should only be after loses in skinfold measurements, or bodyfat losses, and less worried about weight loss measured by standard bathroom scales. If you're losing bodyfat, even if your weight has not changed much, you're doing great and please be patient.

(For convenient bodyfat testing we recommend the Tanita Bodyfat Scales from our health fitness store .)

Since muscle is metabolically active and thus constantly burns calories you should strive never to lose muscle mass. Lose muscle and you decrease the intensity of your body's furnace meaning you're actually slowing down metabolism. This now leaves you prone to gaining that weight again much more quickly. This dieting phenomenon is termed yo-yo dieting and is the reason why rapid weight loss is detrimental to your ability to lose weight and more importantly keep it off. Not to mention your health, energy and vitality.

Experiment with decreasing your daily calorie intake by about 500 calories per day. As mentioned earlier, this should correspond to about 0.5 - 1.0 kg weight loss a week, never more. One kilogram of fat has 7000 calories so the 500 calorie deficit recommendation should see you lose about 0.5 kilograms per week.

If the target is not met after the trial 1-2 week period, you can further reduce your daily calorie intake by another 500 calories. Again experiment with this for a few weeks. You should never reduce you daily calorie intake by more than 1000 calories without medical or dietitian supervision. This means that women should aim for at least a 1,200 -1,500 calorie diet. Men being more muscular need a minimum of about 1,500-2,000 calories per day in caloric intake.

I found this at http://healthfitness.com.au/calculators ... intake.htm

hope it helps!
Jisgone

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:18 am

according to this.........

http://www.weightloss.com.au/weight-los ... ulator.htm

i need 2494 calories a day to maintain my weight, so im going to aim to have atleast 1500 a day, ill keep going with the 1300 a day until my next weigh in then ill up the calories and see if it makes a difference :)
Jisgone

Postby Groovychic » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:24 am

Let us know how you go Jewles.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:37 am

Thanks for the thoughts, Rochelle! I'm not sure that I would have lost muscle in that week where I had the big loss and then gained it back the week after with my small loss.. I had a couple of big weights sessions in there so I was definitely maintaining if not gaining muscle. What I meant by "Did less exercise" is burnt less exercise kJ... I still did 6x a week, but for some reason I burnt a lot less... (according to my HR monitor anyway!) But thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to keep hunting for info :D

Cheers for that article, Jewles! It was really interesting!! I think we definitely have to play around with our calorie intakes to get it right.. Ah well, I'll keep playing and see what happens ay!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby originalmel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:43 pm

oh you've got me worried now! I'm gonna go check out what I should be having and see how bad i am...
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:20 pm

Sorry Mel, didn't mean to make you worry!!!! :oops: :oops: I'm just a stress-head and I think about things waaaaaaay too much :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby originalmel » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:27 pm

Apparently to maintain my weight i would need 2360calories/day.

So how much should I aim for then???
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:56 pm

ide aim for about 1700 a day, depending on how much excercise u do
Jisgone

Postby Jisgone » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:32 pm

i went to the docs today to get some pain killers after my op and asked her about this, she said if your active eating 1400 calories a day is fine, if your inactive u can have as little as 1200. so my new daily aim in to eat 1400 calories :)
Jisgone

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Awesome, thanks for reporting back about that Jewles! It's good to get a professional's opinion :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby bluebox451 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:42 pm

I sometimes think that it takes the body a while to register that there is a surplus (or deficit) of calories. If I'm really good a few days in a row then I usually dont see results for about 3 or 4 days after that. Same as when I have overdosed on calories, I dont see the weight gain until a few days afterwards. But this doesnt include when I overeat carbs coz then I bloat and have immediate weight gain. I just think you need to slowly increase and see what happens.
My brother in law lost weight really quickly by following a very low cal diet. He has managed to maintain it for about a year but he survives on barely nothing. He doesnt have an ounce of muscle on him either. If he ever starts eating a higher calorie diet he would put on weight so fast he wouldnt know what hit him. If he listened to me, which he doesnt, I would tell him in order to retrain your body you need to slowly increase your cals and do weight training & HIIT in order to raise your metabolism.
I could go on forever but I have already bored most of you so I will stop here. Hope it helped a bit.
Liz :)
bluebox451

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk