It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Free Newsletter

Weightloss and infertility treatments.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weightloss and infertility treatments.

Postby Draco » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:34 pm

I was just wondering if anybody in here has been trying to lose weight while doing an IVF cycle?

I've done several donor IVF cycles before but I've never paid any attention to what it does to my weight, coz frankly, I used to avoid looking at the scales or thinking about my weight gain in any way.

I'm coming up on doing another cycle in the next month or two, I just don't know how it will effect me.
I know that there's going to be fluid and swelling and bloating.. I just don't know what that means for my weightloss..
I think maybe that once I start the drugs I will just not weigh myself at all so I don't get discouraged by any incidental gains, but keep going with my exercise and food regimen and maybe have a nice surprise at the end of it?

I'm just hoping that it doesn't discourage me from continuing.. I've never been this motivated before, nor this determined.

The good news is though, the doc says that just my 10kg loss already increases our chances of success exponentially :)
~die of nothing but a rage to live~

Draco

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:00 pm

hi yolanda
maybe just ask your dr about it? i have pcos and was told i wouldnt be able to have kids without fertility treatment- being overweight didnt help either :?
sorry i cant help much! lol but im sure the professionals would know :) best wishes for it though would be interested in hearing how it all goes if you want to share with us :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:14 pm

Hay congratulations of the 10 kilos weight loss - they can only be a help for your IVF success.

Both my girls are IVF babies (actually ICSI) but when I went through it I was on the other side (being 52kilos - very underweight for my age!).

I cannot answer your question about the weight gain - but I do wish you every success .... even though it is a difficult process to go through - I would do it over again if needed.

Best wishes Draco.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Draco » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:39 pm

Kate: I'm sorry to hear about that :(
I'm pretty sure that that's what has made my recipient infertile too. From everything that the docs have told me though, being a healthy weight increases your chances of treatment working lots. :)
If you like, I'll start a thread in the off-topic forum so that you can follow along with the cycle..

Sassygirl: Wow! Two ICSI babies is an incredible achievement. I bet you're pleased as punch :) Did it take you many cycles?

Draco

Postby Sassygirl » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:51 pm

Well here is my story .....

I was very lucky in that I fell the first cycle - but unfortunately lost my baby at around 12 - 13 weeks. My doctor then told me to skip a couple of months and try again - but I was so determined to have a child that I fought against them and went straight back into the injections, nasal sprays and really bad moods (my hubbie would say "nothing unusal about that!!"). They got my eggs so nice and plump and harvested (sounds horrid hay!?!?!) about 18 of them.

The first two embryos embed themselves pretty well and I again suffered a miscarrige of one of the embryos - the remaining embryo turns 11 in May.

We waited Sarah was 7months old and decided it was time to go again. By that time I had 6 frozen embryos ready to go. The hospital took out two, defrosted, placed them in me --- didn't take. The next two -- exactly the same. I only had 2 left and the hospital rang me and said that only one survived the thawing out process - and that one turns 10 in September.

I am one of the lucky ones and I count my blessings every day when I see my beautiful girls and how georgous they have become.

SO all in all - I did two cycles - and I know I am lucky. when I was going through it I met a lady who was on her last (6th) cycle that Medicare would help pay for. I later heard that she was unsucessful again.

IF you want to talk - feel free to email me Draco.

Best of luck
Michelle

Sassygirl

Postby Draco » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Wow.. that is incredibly lucky indeed.

I've done cycles for women that have tried upwards of 16+ times and not succeeded.
To have two ICSI babies from the one harvest is quite incredible. Well done :)
I love hearing stories of IVF success.

Draco

Postby Sassygirl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:01 am

Thank you - as I said before - I am extremely blessed :lol:

Sassygirl

Return to Weight loss Talk