It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:15 am

Free Newsletter

Goal Weights

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Goal Weights

Postby Lolly » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:14 am

Okay people I was chatting with this durning TBL last night with my hubby.

According to my BMI, I should be under 50kg - preferably around the 45kg mark. Personally, I think this is impossible. The lowest I have been since having my first child was 57kg. I did look and feel good at this weight.

I am short, have an average sort of frame and under the flab am muscly (I reckon if I worked out too much I could look like Arnie :oops: ).

Hubby said to me, when you were 60 kgs I loooooooooved your body - a little under that would be perfect. Mind you, I am not losing the weight for him - this is MY body and MY journey.

Is it setting my sights too low to set my goal weight for that magical 57kg or should I push on to the 50kg?

When I first fell pregnant with Bec, I weighed 45kg, the doctor told me I was underweight and should go home and eat something (didn't tell me when to stop though :evil: ).

I forgot to add, my daughter is 48kg - she has the same body type as me but is slightly taller and 20 years younger......

So much conflicting info out there, I just don't know what to set as a realistic goal weight.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Draco » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:27 am

Set your goal weight as the weight that makes you happy with your body.
None of the other things matter a jot.

:)
~die of nothing but a rage to live~

Draco

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:33 am

hubby should love your body no matter matter shape you are- its still you. my fiance met me when i was big and he has never known me to be this size. you are right, you are doing it for yourself and not for him.

i think once you are closer to your goal you will get to a stage where you want to stop and you will appreciate what you are then not what you desire to be now.

as gross as it sounds your body wont look the same as it did in your teens. you will have excess skin and im sure your body has changed in diffferent ways. your metabolism would have changed as well.

as i said wait til you get close to your goal- take it day by day and see how you go.
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:37 am

For my height my BMI says my goal weight (70kg) is right on the border of healthy/overweight. Which I think is crapola. My sis - who has one of those bodies you would gladly kill someone for - is a tad taller than me (approx 2 cm) and is 65kg and I don't know that you would want to be any lighter.

I personally think the BMI is by no means an accurate science - a weightlifter or bodybuilder, boxer, footballer etc would mostly come in at WAYYYYY over obese (due to muscle mass), but I challenge you to tell them that and actually mean it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:55 am

Lolly I understand where you are coming from, but the best thing you can do is put BMI's and goal weights out of your mind!! Now just let me explain before everyone screams at me and says you have to have a goal!! Yes goals are great and they give you something to aim for, however when you have a lot of weight to lose it is better to aim for smaller goals so that you dont' give up!! Have your "ultimate" goal written down somewhere, but also work on things like....I am going to get to 80kg.....I am going to get to 70kg....etc and then when you hit say 65kg....assess it from there...ask yourself if you feel comfortable at that weight?? Do I want to lose 2-5kg more?? Just see how YOU feel. The worst thing (from personal experience!) that you can do is start worrying about your goal weight when you are only a short way into your weight loss journey. Sit back and enjoy the things you are learning along the way and worry about the finish line when it is within your reach!! :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby originalmel » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:59 am

yeah, the BMI is starting to fall out of favour as an accurate health measurement. The new favourite is going to be waist measuement.
it's a much more accurate health predictor. Personally I have listed my goal as 65kg, but will be happy with 70kg. That puts me right in the middle of healthy BMI. But my hubby who is also overweight is supposed to be around 90kg according to BMI. Last time he weighed 90kg, he was about 15. Even when he was running and playing sport everyday at the age of 18, and was super fit, he weighed about 100kg. He's pretty muscular under the flab, so it's not a good indicator for him.

I think you should go for a weight that will make you feel good, and is healthy for your size. BMI isn't the be all and end all it's been made out to be. I will be going for what suits me.
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:25 am

I agree with what Ally is saying! There is too much emphasis put on BMI, and I think that setting mini-goals on the way to a big goal and re-assessing them when you get to the mini-goals is the way to go! I always said that once I get to 64kg (my Weight Watchers goal weight from when I was doing that) I'd reassess the situation. Now that I'm almost there I know I want to lose a bit more so I've dropped my goal to 60kg. Mum thinks I'd be good at around 58kg but I've just said "I'll reassess the situation again when I get to 60kg". If I'm happy at 60, I'll stay there. If not, I'll keep going :)

45kg DOES sound very low, so just see how you go and take it one step at a time :)
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Vegetable » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 am

I am 6ft tall. When I was doing WW, the leader set my goal weight at 69 kgs. I THINK SHE WAS INSANE! :P lol It was laughable it was so ridiculous. I was 62 kgs in grade 5! Their is absolutely no way I could ever be that size. Me pre pregnancy weight was 80kgs, and for my height, this was great. I felt good, wasnt too skinny, or overweight, just a comfortable size 14. I have put my goal weight at 78kgs (what my dr recommended, and far more possible) I dont care what anyone says, I know where I feel good and where I feel healthy. Do what you think. That goal weight does seem very small, so I think the girls are right in saying you should assess it when you get there :) xxx
Vegetable

Postby Lolly » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:41 pm

Thanks for all the insights there girls.

When I was at Judys today, we had a discussion about this - and looked at it realistically. I am resetting my goal weight to 60kg as I feel 50kg is just too low for me. When I get there, I am going to go to the docs and ask him what he thinks is best.

Afterall, I have 8kg of boobs at the moment - they drop to around 6kg when I am at 60kg AND I am by no means petite in my frame - never have been and never will be.

I have a pic of me at 50kg when I was 18 - just finished my hsc - I acutally look sick in it.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Aquagirl » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:29 pm

I have heard that BMI's are becoming a very outdated form of weight management. Personally I think they are. I think its a good idea to reset your goal weight, that way you can wait until you get there and then decide if you need to go any further.
Aquagirl

Postby Justjudy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:29 pm

I totally agree with Lolly. BMI is certainly outdated, and if anything just wrong. Many people struggle to maintain a ridiculous weight because it is "what the BMI says I should be. I have a bigger frame than Lolly, and am a little bit taller, according to the charts I should weigh a maximum of 58 kg. I managed to reach that at the age of 18, and looked like something that had been in a concentration camp. I look great at around about 65, and considering that I am now 42 I need some padding to fill out all the wrinkles anyways. :lol:
Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

setting goals

Postby Monica » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:03 am

Just adding to what Ally said about breaking down your goals, I always aim to lose weight in 6kg lots. This is because difference between the average dress sizes is 6kg.
Monica

Postby Ally » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:55 am

That is a good idea Monica!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

:)

Postby Monica » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:06 am

Glad to help Ally
Monica

Postby originalmel » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:43 pm

Is it really Monica?

Mind if i borrow that?
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk