It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:21 am

Free Newsletter

Scale problem????

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Scale problem????

Postby Chelle » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:33 am

Hi guys I just bought one of them new LCD digital scales that tell you weight body, fat & water percentage scales about a month ago when I weight my self last week at home the scales told me 80Kg but when i went to the doctors to see if I needed any needles for when I go O.S the doctors weigh me & told me 77Kg the same day do I go with my new scales that I have at home or do I take 3Kg off my weight like at the doctors :?:

I weight myself every monday, when I did my weigh in this week I have lost 2.5 Kg so am I now 78.5KG or am I 76KG :?

I don't know I think when I go to my mums on the weekend when I go to sydney I might weight myself there to see what her scales say but her's are digital too...
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:37 am

hi chelle its best to stick with one set of scales. the ones at the dr's are probably most accurate however you arent at the dr's every week weighing in. use the ones you have at home because theyre the ones you use all the time.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:01 am

I agree, you have to stick to the one set of scales... they're all different :roll:
SarahC

Postby Jisgone » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:48 am

the scales are the same with me, gym ones are different to home onws! i wish ide gone with gym ones, im in double digits on them :P
Jisgone

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:13 am

Stick with the one set of scales!! It is easy to get caught up with numbers (check out my personal progress over the next couple of days to see why)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:56 am

it depends what you want to get out of weighing yourself.

Do you have a mobid desire to know EXACTLY what you weigh (i.e your body mass under influence of gravitation on Earth)? In that case, go find a highly calibrated set of scales, most likely found in a physics laboratory.

If you want to know how much weight you have LOST and track your progress with a relatively accurate measurement of actual weight (give or take a few Kg) stick with one set of scales. The reason for this is that EVERY measuring instrument has some degree of error. This means that no two scales will read the same, BUT each set should have a similar degree of error each time you use them so they will give you an accurate reading of CHANGE. (unless they really are buggered and you step on then off then on again only to find you have increased/decreased huge amounts for no apparent reason)

Does that make sense??? :?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:01 am

makes sense to me- now im hoping that speed camera i went past the other day had a certain degree of error! :oops:
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:29 pm

Hey Tegan....mine registered a 20kg loss in a week even with a new battery....does that count as marginal error??? LOL :P

Oh no Kate hopefully the camera was on a lunch break!!! LOL :lol:
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:36 pm

better have been on a lunch break! im censored scared!
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:41 pm

Ok I have explained all my dramas here :arrow: http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2112
[/url]
Ally

Postby sanjo47 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:09 am

Hi all - these are my personal thoughts on this topic so please don't be offended with what I have to say. I feel that there is too much emphasis placed on what the figures say or what we would like them to say!! Don't get me wrong, I naturally like to see a loss like everyone else on this forum. Now I tend to go on how my clothes are fitting & I actually take my measurements every 10 weeks.
Just yesterday at my slimming group, one of our new members (who has been coming for about 5 weeks) said to me that she could notice that I had lost weight. Talk about doing wonders for one's self confidence. :D :D
Anyway good luck with your weight loss everyone.

There's a brand new me on the way!
sanjo47

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:26 am

hi jane thats wonderful that you received that compliment- it certainly helps with your motivation :) now that i have reached 70kg (which by the way still makes me overweight according to the bmi) i have put my scales away and im going by how my clothes fit. all my clothes are still pretty loose so i know that even if i have put on weight since i reached my goal weight i still feel great in myself.

but just want to add that i think scales and measuring tapes are really handy too!!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:35 am

I agree that too much emphasis on 'weight' is not so good, but for me I need the guidance as I have trouble seeing myself as I really am (i.e. although I KNOW I have lost a heap of weight, to me I look the same nakie). However I only use them as a guide, not a be all and end all - a reality check so to speak.

I only weigh in once per week - any more is pointless. Most scales are not accurate enough to measure changes over days due to all the variable factors (eg bowel weight, measurement error etc). Technically taking an average of daily measurements over a week would be the most accurate, but 1) who can be bothered 2) I think it encourages too much daily worry and obsession and 3) I don't think that much accuracy is required anyway.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Weight loss Talk