It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:29 am

Free Newsletter

knees... :(

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

knees... :(

Postby garn » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:11 am

Hi, Has anyone got any remedies or hints on knee health. Had a injury to my left one a couple of weeks ago, rested and didnt go to the gym....went last night and was running freely but when i went to do a front kick felt like the whole kneecap moved. Iced it and elevated it but still sore this morning...dont want to stop going to gym but dont want to be hobbling around like an idiot either.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mini Goal 100

Postby yummymummy » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:35 am

well I think just some rest and ice is the best you can do for it, maybe concentrate on upper body for a little while or if your gym has a pool do some laps for a while
anti inflammitorys( sorry my spelling is terrible) are great (like brufen)but if there is some dort of injury there rest may be the best thing
I hope you get better soon

Postby Ally » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:41 am

Hi Anita, before you take any over the counter medicines you should really go to your GP and get it checked out. Yes brufen and all that is great, but you need to know that you are taking the right thing for the problem. I had a knee injury a few years back and my GP prescribed the right medication for me and advised me on how to look after it from that point is well worth the money for peace of mind to know that you are doing taking the right thing.

Postby tess » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:22 pm

It is difficult to exercise with a gummy knee.
I dislocated my knee 16 years ago - it hasn't been the same since.
Try a knee guard, they are uncomfortable but it keeps everything where it's supposed to be & gives you the confidence to keep exercising.
Hope it feels better soon

Postby bluebox451 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:24 pm

You probably shouldn't be running with an injured knee. How about cycling on a stationery bike? I wouldnt do anything though unless its pain free and the doc says its OK.
Liz :)

Postby Lexi_Louise » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Hi Anita,

I had a fairly major knee injury bout 10 years ago (tore my anterior cruciate ligament) playing squash and its never really been stable since.

The good news is that I am still a gym junkie but I stay away from any activities that carry a risk of any sideways movement eg step classes or other free moving aerobics.

I LOVE the RPM (or spin) and pump is fine too (i take it very easy with lunges). So biking is great if you have a knee injury like this.

Guess it depends what your exercise passions are.....and you will get to know what is most kindest on your knees!

I want to get out into the world.......NOW!

Return to Weight loss Talk