It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Overweight Teen and Need Your Help

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Overweight Teen and Need Your Help

Postby edge84 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:51 am

Hello everyone,

I have a problem right now, I'm 18, currently 5'10" and weigh 250 lbs.

I need help. My goal is to get to my ideal weight which if I was told correctly was 160-180 lbs (so my goal is to lose 80 pounds. Can anyone recommend any kind of exercises I could do?

I personally think that the best thing to do would be to simply run a lot (I'm not sure how much, it's the reason I'm asking people here) and to eat healthier. My house is full of a lot of healthy & unhealthy stuff (mostly due to my brothers).

What could I eat as alternatives? My parents are all for buying me things for a healthier alternative but I'm not sure what. And like I asked before, how much should I run and how often? I essentially wanted to know what I should expect since I'm really inactive...for now...

Any ideas? I appreciate it
edge84

Postby Lolly » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:26 am

Hey Edge welcome to the forum.

It may sound as if you have a long way to go BUT if you look at it as mini goals to reach your main goal it will make it easier.

As for the running, don't start out at a run, 30 mins of brisk walking a day is all you need AND it is less stress on your body that has been innactive for so long.

For the food I use http://www.calorieking.com.au and count my calories every day - you will soon learn what is a good choice and what is a bad choice by seeing what the calorific value is of foods BUT, if in doubt, think fresh - if it hasn't been processed to get how it lands on your plate, it is reasonably good for you.

Oh, and one final piece of advice before Kate tells you........... WATER, WATER, WATER :D

Good luck with it all and don't forget to pop in here for inspiration from time to time - it keeps you going.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby KimE » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:25 pm

Hi Edge welcome aboard.

If you are inactive now you need to build yourself up slowly. Start out walking even if it is only 10 mins a day, then increase to 2 lots of 10 mins per day. Then see if you can do the whole 20 mins and build from there. This may take some time so be patient. You can then start to increase your speed, for example, you walk around the block and it takes 30 mins, the next week walk around the block and do it in less time, that sort of thing. Once you are really comfortable with this and doing it regularly you can start adding in jogging, maybe jog for 5 mins walk for 10 and repeat. Slowly make the jogging longer and the walking less. Remember to warm up and stretch properly at the beginning and cool down and stretch at the end. Once your fitness has increased you can then decide how long you want to run. Getting into a walking/running club may also help if you have one near you or walking /running with friends.

As for food, plenty of veges, legumes, beans. Change rice to brown rice, pasta to wholemeal, bread to grains and wholemeal types. Use low fat dairy and have a couple of pieces of fruit a day. Try to cut down on high fatty foods but remember your body does need some fats try to get this from nuts, seeds, fish as these are better fats for your body. Water drink plenty of this. 2 litres as mentioned by Lolly is about 68 ounces, I am thinking you are from US as you mentioned your weight in lbs not kgs so thought I would give you the ounces conversion.

Anyway that's just a quickie run down and hopefully you can get something out of it.

All the best and let us know how you go.

:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:31 pm

hi edge welcome to the group- theres some great tips there already but all i want to say is join in when and where you feel comfortable and best wishes :)
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Hey edge, I agree with what Lolly has to say - don't start out running, start out with brisk walking and build up to running- otherwise you're likely to get injured which will set you back further. And drink lots of water!

The big key for exercise motivation for me is finding something that I enjoy doing - for me, it's taekwondo and kickboxing and any other martial arts training I can throw myself into. I really love it, can see progress, always have something new to learn and it's a great way to meet great people.

So find a training partner or join a walking or running group or any kind of sports group you're interested in.

Wishing you all the best on your weightloss journey.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:58 am

Hi Edge!!!
For me I use calorie controll diet I use the Allan Borushek's pocket Calorie & fat counter diet book you can buy it from the chemist it's handy because I can take it with me everywhere in my bag it's the same site that lolly has said to go on but it's in a book...
If you want to to do a calorie controll diet I did the math's for you try & stay under 2000cal a day if you stick under this with exercise everyday you should see the results that you are looking for.
With exercise take it easy for the first week or two with only walking about 30 - 45 mins a day or your body will go into shock after your body is use to the pressure of exercise then incorporate running. but start small & build your exercise routine, make sure you incoraporate rest days, if you don't have time to exercise break it up & do 1/2 an hour in the morning & 1/2 an hour in the afternoon try also some weight no more that 3 times a week to tone the body as well.. Good luck & remember you have a lot of support from the people throught this site that will help you reach your goal weight & drink pleanty of water
Chelle

Postby edge84 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:47 am

Thank you all for your help, it truly means a lot to me. I know whenever I need motivation I can count on you guys

And milkyway, coincidentally I've been very interested in learning martial arts recently, but didn't know if I had time for it AND exercise (I have University + part time job). I guess I could do them both, it'll be good for me.

Thank you all again!
edge84

Postby Ally » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:12 am

Hi Edge and firstly welcome to the forum.....I agree with Kim that you need to start off slowly and gradually get faster...jogging straight off can cause serious injury!!

Kim has given you some great advice of food swaps as well!! I wish you all the best and remember that we are here for you if you need any help!!

Look forward to seeing your progress!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby milkyway » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:52 pm

edge84 wrote:And milkyway, coincidentally I've been very interested in learning martial arts recently, but didn't know if I had time for it AND exercise (I have University + part time job). I guess I could do them both, it'll be good for me.

Hey edge - glad to hear of your enthusiasm for my passion :D

I say give it a go - you'll probably start at a twice weekly committment of 45mins to one hour. Combined with walking and maybe some weights, I think you'll have yourself a great little exercise package.

It can be fantastic exercise and an awesome workout (sometimes I'm dripping in sweat) and other times it's more technically focused (getting your stances and arm movements perfected).

I love that it improves every aspect of fitness - strength, flexibility, power, coordination, cardio and best of all, you get to learn how to defend yourself and others should you ever need it. I also love that there's always something new to learn and that my body can actually do some amazing things!

Most universities have a martial arts club - Taekwondo, Karate, Hapkido or Aikido etc. so that could be a good way to combine your study and training.

It's a matter of finding a group/club to train with where you feel comfortable. Most placed (well, the good ones at least) will let you try out a lesson or two for free if you're interested. If you don't feel comfortable there, find another place. Once you start looking for a martial arts training gym, you'll find they're everywhere, almost every street corner

There are people at my club of all sizes and all ages and from all walks of life and best of all, they're really friendly and welcoming. I've just started doing TKD after a significant period of absence and it feels great to be back. I just know it's going to help my weightloss journey!

All the best :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

re:

Postby Shaunna » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:48 pm

Hey edge im only new to the forum as well but welcome anyway:) I'm 19 later this year so it's always good to meet someone younger as well:)

For me I have joined a local gym Curves that is for women only with the specific goal of loosing weight. It's just a circuit that goes for 40 mins and really helps! Or if you aren't wanting to go to a gym I find walking my dog or pilates (ive got it on dvd though) can also help
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/weYetEN/]
[/url]
Shaunna

Return to Weight loss Talk