It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:00 am

Free Newsletter

School Tuckshop Food

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is the new system good enough in cutting out junk food?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes : 12

School Tuckshop Food

Postby Roar2Life » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:57 am

Let's have a debate. (a nice one...be nice people)

So the QLD government says they are bringing in the traffic light system for school tuckshops for those of you who are unaware it works like this:
Green listed food: allowed everyday
Orange listed food: allowed 1-2 week
Red listed food: allowed 1 day a term

So i'm going yay. We're going to have REAL food for once. Go back to school a couple of weeks ago and check out the tuckshop. Guess what is still there: pies, sausage rolls, pizza, chicken chippies, donuts, burgers, icecream. And these foods are there most days. Eg. if pies are missing one day donuts, sausage rolls, etc will still be ther.

So one day I feel like an icecream, go up to the counter, here's the convo:
"Can I please get a rainbow Paddlepop?"
"No. They're not allowed under the new system. How about a chocolate one instead?"

I am not joking guys. We're allowed chocolate icecream but not raibow swirl.

TBH i'm quite annoyed at this new system because it is still allowing bad food to be brought. Oh, and they got rid of all softdrink including 1.25L cokes but now sell 1L juice boxes. Sugar guys it makes you fat to.

Sorry for the major rant but it has really irritated me. :twisted:

I have friends whose parents have the stance junk food should still be allowed because if they take away the junk food they are taking away the children's right to choose.

So. My question is...should these foods be allowed (aka. i'm a mean b****) or shouldn't these foods be allowed (aka. i'm right!)
In a world full of people only some want to fly...
Roar2Life

Postby Justjudy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:12 pm

I can't agree more with your opinion roar. I have spent the last 11 years with children in the Qld school system, and this is the only year that I have not been involved. I was so horrified at the "choices" that were available to kids I virtually boycotted the tuckshop system and my kids only had tuckshop on "special" days ie:fundraisers etc. If all parents did this maybe they would realise that the "choices" offered are not good enough and do something about it. The biggest problem is that there are enough parents out there that don't give a hoot for them to make a profit (that's what they are there for) so they will not do anything about the menu.

Sorry to ramble on but this is something that really gets my goat :evil:

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:03 pm

LOL i almost fell off my chair laughing when i read that you could buy a chocolate paddle pop but not a rainbow one.

i remember the last year at my high school they brought in a mars vending machine and coke machine. basically the kids will go elsewhere to buy foods they dont sell in the canteen. we would wag and walk to the servo or go to maccas at lunch. i think there is only so much canteens in schools can do. i love all the healthy foods they have to offer at some school canteens these days. yummo! but im just saying that if they (the kids) want a certain food they will find a way to get it.
kate_turner2000

Postby Lolly » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:41 pm

The amount of junk food served in school canteens these days is ridiculous to say the least.

At my youngest sons school I have done canteen for yonks until a couple of years ago when I started back at fulltime work - the choices there are disgusting.

Sure, they have sandwiches on the menu, there is fruit available etc BUT do you honestly think that a kid when offered say a mini pizza or a salad sanga is gonna go with the latter?

We have had an ongoing battle between the parents over lollies in the canteen - they are still there BUT the kids can buy a limited amount - WTF, if they are having lollies every day it is no good for them.

The highschool canteen is soooo much better - lots of healthy choices, hardly any bad foods AND the paid canteen ladies make real food to sell such as spag bol (small servings), vege soup etc for the kids - this stuff sells out quicker than anything else.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Dee » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:41 pm

I work in the school tuck shop in Victoria - I know that each state has different guidelines - but we are actually allowed to sell things like small packets of chips and advertise them as a healthy food choice, because they are only small.
Of course, there are no guideline saying how many packets each child can buy, and kids can believe they are making healthy choices by only eating foods with a smiley face (this is the ymbol we use to show healthy choices) and build bad lifelong habits.

The other thing worth mentioning is that a tuck shop which is only opened one day per week can sell pretty much whatever they want because they are only an occassional canteen. I find it SOOOO frustrating.

In my opinion there should be VERY clear guidleines that all canteens must follow whether they are opened one day or five. Foods should be judged on a number of factors - not just fat content per serve, but nutritional value as a whole. Pies, chips and lollies should simply not be part of the menu. After all, if kids must eat these foods every day they can still have them at home - they're only at school between 9 and 3.30!

ooops, I think I'm about to be sent back to the cranky corner! :?

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Justjudy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:54 pm

Dee, if you need to go to the cranky corner, I think I should come with you :lol:

This is a subject that is so close to home for many of us. Our children deserve better than what tuckshops provide, and you are right, if kids want junk why can't they eat it at home?

Our kids are at school to learn, and if they are having poor nutrition, how do we expect them to concentrate or actually have anything go in their heads at all?

I think that there should be national guidelines when it comes to food in schools. I have been in two states, and both seem to have different rules. Though I have to admit I have been less than impressed with either. The government spends money on advertising that kids need to exercise etc without thinking clearly about the big picture. The saddest thing is, that these kids that are using the tuckshops (thinking that they are making good choices) are being set up for a life of physical struggle and emotional pain. :evil:

Judy :evil:

[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:56 pm

LOL@ DEE

im actually looking forward to seeing allys view on this. she has a couple of kiddies at home.

by the way i am the only person who has voted on the poll as 'yes' and i just thought id say the reason i voted yes is because there is only so much a canteen can do- if kids want junk food they will get it via other means if the canteen arent supplying the yummies that the kids want. although i dont necessarily agree with some practices in school tuckshops/canteens i do believe that there is only so much that can be done
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:32 pm

i agree with that in high schools kate, by that age they are old enough to make good decisions but im primary schools they dont understand good versus bad food so i think its important to learn. it would be great if the school used the canteen food together with classroom lessons teaching them about healthy choices, so that once they hit high school they can do the right thing
Jisgone

Postby originalmel » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:52 pm

Kate, although freedom of choice is good, kids need to be guided to making good decisions. So freedom of choice should be, which salad do I want on my sandwhich, or do I like wholemeal or multigrain bread. Not, shall I get a pie or a sausage roll.

Also isn't saying kids will go elsewhere for the food anyway a bit of a cop out? To me that's like saying we should just sell pot at school cause the kids that want it will smoke it anyway.

Love a good debate though, and respect everyones points of view!!
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:21 am

really i think there is too much of an emphasis on schools- what about the parents? shouldnt the be limiting the amount of money the kids are taking to school? shouldnt they write out the lunch order for the kids? i have seen plenty of primary school kids bom barding the local servo on the way to school and on the way home each day buying slurpees and lollies etc etc. wonder if these kids end up eating their dinner? also the kids that do take their lunches there can be far worse things put in their lunch box for lunches and the parents are putting them there. sure school canteens are doing some great things and i know where i live they are actually reported to the media i.e. newspapers etc for the great work that they do (the ones which have followed the healthy food 'protocol'.) i also like that some canteens are doing breakfast options too. i was never a kid that would breakfast in high school - i didnt have time in the morning so grabbing something at school was a great option for me. my point is that canteens shouldnt be held responsible for what children are eating. its good and all to sit and say that children need to be advise of healthy choices- great! put a big smiley on the good foods but in saying that for a childs emotional and cognitive development they need to be able to make their own decisions in life regarding some things.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:52 am

I think I am going to end up in the cranky corner after this!! move over Dee and Judy and please make sure there is a strong coffee waiting for me!

Righto....to put it bluntly I think the new Traffic light system is a complete farse, not to mention a waste of money!! I spent 6 months working on tuckshop menus/policies/guidelines with our tuckshop workers.....all to no avail....I don't see the point in being able to still offer censored food on certain days of the week (cause lets not forget the "amber" category that can be served 1/2 a week!! Our tuckshop menu at the moment offer salad plates, salad sandwiches, wraps etc, but still has all the above mentioned food in roars post available.....each time the tuckshop is open!! They are selling small packets of chips and miniz ice creams.....but not restricting the portions.....My kids have tuckshop every so often and I write their order out and they know that they have to have either a salad plate/sandwich/wrap. I think again it comes down to the parents, don't order the food if you don't want your kids to have it, don't give them extra money to buy the food from the tuckshop....mine are allowed to have one junk item from the tuckshop....either tiny teddies, miniz ice cream, 1 party pie, 1 small packet of chips...please note I said EITHER not ONE OF EACH!!! In all honesty this was just a way of the government trying to make them look good by "doing" something. If they were fair dinkum they would not allow this food to be sold at all. They would be selling healthy alternatives, not just dictating what days they are to be sold....There are ways around it and the school tuckshop have found them all!! I shake my head and at both parents that allow their kids to eat censored food and a government which "stamping out obesity" but in fact is doing nothing!

*knock knock* can I come in please Dee and Judy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Justjudy » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:23 pm

Come in and stew. I will put the coffee pot on.

Judy :D

[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Ally » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:18 pm

Thanks mate, I'll be right there!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:53 pm

Umm.... I think I drank all the coffee. :oops: After all, I've been here for about a week now!

Look, Kate, I do agree with you that parents need to take responsability for their kids, but part of that should be getting together with the school to put together a tuckshop list which works.

There is no real reason for crap to be served in schools. I get giving your kids the occassional Maccas, I get that kids can feel deprived if they don't get their occassional dose of completely wasted calories, but I think that by serving these foods in schools you are teaching that they are foods that should make up a part of your daily food intake, which is rubbish!

Oh and healthy food options do not have to be salad which some kids find repulsive - creative tuckshops could easily serve vegies with rice, spag bol occassionally and other healthy options without salad being the only choice for those wanting to be health conscious.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Return to Weight loss Talk