It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:17 am

Free Newsletter

Duromine question time...

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Duromine question time...

Postby Kindred-Katt » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:26 pm

G'day, I'm new to these parts. I have posted a hello over in introductions.

Anyway, I just want to get some info, if anyone knows, about Duromine.
I know the positives and the negatives. I have read everything I can get my mouse on, but I still have a couple of questions.
The main one being, does duromine leach vitamins and/or minerals from your system? if so, what?

I currently take a women's multivitamin and extra iron and know that I do not get anywhere near enough calcium, protien and fiber in my diet.
I read the it is best to avoid dairy, fats and wheat while using duromine too.

I am well enough educated on how much you should eat of what for a healthy diet, (I just haven't been bothered lately because I had given up on losing weight because NOTHING has worked so far,) and I am taking steps to correct my poor diet. It doesn't help either that I'm a vegie hater. I can't stand most vegetables.

I know with TF it is a good idea to take the Chromium suppliment (as it apparently helps build muscle, or keep muscle, or something alone those lines).

I am actually thinking (that while I am on the duromine) of drinking a glass of V8 vegie juice each day and also getting some protein type shake stuff.
Since it reduces your appetite, (which I have little of anyway) I want to make sure that I get all the vitamins and minerals I need.
I will be asking my pharmisist a load of questions when I go in to fill my 'script but I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about it.

I have read the other Duromine thread that indi started in October last year too. :)

So, anyone happen to know an anwser to my questions?

~Katt
When I am thin, fat will be in!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBsOI5W/]
[/url]
Kindred-Katt

Re: Duromine question time...

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 am

Kindred-Katt wrote:
I know with TF it is a good idea to take the Chromium suppliment (as it apparently helps build muscle, or keep muscle, or something alone those lines).

~Katt

hey katt

the reason they take chromium (well its recommended you dont HAVE to on tf) is because it helps with the sugar cravings thats why its recommended.

i dont know a lot about duromine but perhaps some other members can help you with your questions. when in doubt ask your doctor :)
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:44 pm

I've heard a LOT of bad things about Duromine... it can really screw you up and some of the side effects aren't seen for years...
As for whether it leaches vitamins/minerals from your body, I'm not sure on that one.. If it did, I think that's one of the 'better' side effects it has.

I'd steer clear if I were you!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Kindred-Katt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks Kate and Zeedeveelgirl.

About six months ago I looked into TF but found that it is waaaay to expensive for what I can afford.
The Duro is going to cost me $85 (my doc is starting me on the 15 mg) for the month which I can sort of afford.

I know about all the side effect zeedeveelgirl. I have been reading eveyrthing possible. Really when it comes to Duro, I have found two schppls of thought. Those who think it's ok to take and thse who think no one should take it.
Some years ago I aquired a large amount of dexampthetamine (a medication used to treat ADD) and was taking for the wakey wakey side of things. As a result I did lose some weight (as it also suppressed me appetite) but I gained it back once I stopped using them.
I have heard horror stories, fairy tales stories, and everything in between about Duromine.

Don't worry, I definately know what I am in for AND my doctor will be watching my closely.
For the first month while on the Duromine, he wants me to come in and see him every week. Just to see how I'm progressing and to discuss any side effects I might be having.

Cheers
~Katt
[/url]
Kindred-Katt

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:32 pm

hey katt it sounds like u are taking it with close medical supervision so thats a good thing. let us know how it goes
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 pm

As you have probably figured Katt it is a bit of a touchey subject!! LOL. :lol: I have my own thoughts on it, but I think if you have looked into it and you feel that it is a road you are willing to walk down, then it is up to you....it is great that you are going to be closely supervised by your GP...keep us updated mate on how you go and how your weight loss is going!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:29 pm

Good luck with it then!! At least you're going to be keeping a close eye on it and if you notice anything weird going on you can stop taking it! Let us know how it goes!
And ouch - $85 a month!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:24 pm

Good luck with the Duromine. I could never take it because I have a dicky heart! Let us know how you go with it!
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby Kindred-Katt » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:09 am

Thanks for everyone's concern and the like.
If my doctor wasn't going to keep tabs on me I don't think I would be taking it.
I can't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but it took my doctor (at the time I started the Effexor) a while to actually convince me to go on the medication I am on now for depression.
I was a bit of a wreck at the time but I have always refused to take anything until I have done my homework first.

I have also noticed, yeah, it is a bit of a touchy subject. I actually have a friend who sees what I call a doctor dodge and gets duromine 'scripts all the time, even though she doesn't need it. She also drinks alcohol while taking them too. Needless to say, it rubs my fur the wrong way.

$85 a month is a little pricey, but it is cheaper than when I tried Xenical some time back, and is also cheaper than a lot of other alternatives too. Still, I'm willing to wear it and the side effects just to make some progress. Even if my doc won't give them to me after x length of time, so long as it has helped on the path to a healthy weight I will be happy. :D
[/url]
Kindred-Katt

Postby Ally » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:36 am

Well said Kat! after reading what you have to say, I know that with the amount of research that you have done on it, you would not keep taking them if you noticed any side effects.....you have not gone in to this blindfolded and you know the pros and cons......it is not our place to judge you on your decision, but we are here to support you and be an encouragement in your weight loss journey! I wish you all the best and if you could keep us updated on your progress it would be great!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Kindred-Katt » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:17 am

Tonight was soooo hard!
I play darts Thursday nights btw.

There wasn't the problem of food, that I can control to a certain extent. The problem was that every Thursday night while playing darts I have a couple of drinks. :?
I'm not allowed to drink at the moment, well I could, but I don't want to risk a heart attack!
Duromine and alcohol don't mix!
I wanted to have a drink so bad, and to top it off, DH and I won the raffle... A bottle of spirits! ARGH! :(
Much to his protests I will be hiding it and saving it for a special occasion. Quite possibly for when I hit my goal weight, with any luck. :)
[/url]
Kindred-Katt

Postby Pepper » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:50 am

Kindred-Katt wrote: but I gained it back once I stopped using them.
And there in lies the key!!!

Hi Katt,

(Welcome aboard) sorry, I haven't been on that much over the past few days and I have only read a couple of your posts but was particularly interested in the Duromine thread. I tend to be interested in any "Quick Fix" schemes such as drug induced weight loss programs, cosmetic surgeries or the like, have undergone various forms of both (at one time or another myself) with both "fairy" and "horror" stories to tell. :oops:

Regardless of what drug you take, or the side effects you experience.....THE WEIGHT WILL RETURN and (read very slowly.....) WITH INTEREST!!!!

The body is programmed to protect itself from starvation, and rapid weight loss (albeit desirable) is both unrealistic, (often unachievable unless induced by drugs or surgery, or both) and more hazardous to your health than jumping in front of a speeding train.

Having said that, I'm not here to judge you Katt, I'm sure your doctor will watch over you with an eagle eye, but I just wonder how he will react when you finally wean yourself off the drug and your body goes into withdrawal mode, and worse, you regain the weight ten-fold? Start again perhaps? Expensive exercise don't you think?

No no, I'm not in the "DON'T DO IT" camp, I don't care one way or another. I work for some of the countries leading obesity research scientists (ironic huh?) :oops: and if I wanted to scare or put you off taking the drug, believe me I could give you info that you would never read in any book or be told by any doctor!!! These guys know their stuff!! And boy, do they keep telling me about it (a hint perhaps?) :roll:

Duromine will do what you want it too, that's about all I am wiling to say about it. It is not the solution, and this you will find out only after many $85 per month handouts over the counter, and stacked on kilos AFTER the fact.

Good luck and remember to be kind to your heart, don't touch the alcohol if you want to survive this radical drug.

God Bless
xx

By the way, I too have about 70kg to lose so I know (and feel) your pain. :oops:
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby Fairie » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:18 am

Please be carefull Katt I know how hard it is and how we get so desperate we will do anything to loose weight.

Good advice Pepper, that's why I won't take these "quick fixes" and I also have about 70kg to loose.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Jisgone » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:02 am

I have to say i agree, u cant be on a drug for the rest of your life and u CAN lose weight by changing your lifestyle, its a simple equation u need to use more energy than u consume, so eat less and move more and youll lose weight! a quick fix always seems fantastic, but u could lose 70 kgs and without learning all the good weightloss habits u wont be able to sustain it without the drugs and it would be tragic to lose 70 kilos and regain it again
Jisgone

Postby Kindred-Katt » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:23 pm

Read and understoond Pepper.

I've said it before and I know I will say it many times again too, but I know it's not a magic bullet.
I know that I will probably gain the weight back, BUT, while on it, I will be reforming my diet and exercise habits, (I've started walking again despite the high level of pain).

Jewels, you said "its a simple equation u need to use more energy than u consume, so eat less and move more and youll lose weight!"
Yes, I agree. But with everything on the planet, there are exceptions to every rule.
I can eat a properly balanced diet and exercise properly so my kJ intake is less that my kJ output, and yeah, I do start losing weight, but after losing about 5 kilos and maintaining the equation needed to lose weight I start gaining back that which I lost plus some.

Yes, I also know that muscle weighs more than fat, but while doing what one assumes it the right thing to lose weight, again, my measurements would go down a little then they would go back up again.

Healthy diet and exercise works for most but it seems that it does not work for me. Go figure. I wish it did, then I could save that $85 odd dollars!
[/url]
Kindred-Katt

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk