It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:19 am

Free Newsletter

The daily battle

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The daily battle

Postby milkyway » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:25 pm

Here's my rant for the day.

Years ago (about 10 or more) I quit smoking for the first time and it was a daily battle not to smoke. I wanted a cigarette ALL the time and I finally caved about 4 or 5 months later and started smoking again - just socially when I went out and had a drink. It was such a relief to finally end that daily battle.

Several years later, I started smoking full-time again and continued for almost a year until I quit again (five years, one month and 7 days ago... but who's counting! ;) ).

This time, quitting was super easy. I got through my first social adventure without smoking during my first week of quitting and from then, I knew I could do it. It was as though I was REALLY ready to quit - mind and body. In the past 5 years I have only had about 3 cigarette cravings, which passed quite quickly.

That was not my rant... we're getting to that ... bear with me :)

In the month of Feb, I quit drinking alcohol. I drank waaay too much over christmas and right through Jan - it was almost a daily thing. I just stopped drinking about 4 weeks ago and it was easy. I went from craving that daily glass of wine (or 5), to nothing. At first I said I would just take it easy for the month of Feb but I think I will continue.

Now for the rant...

Why is that chocolate is sooo damn hard to give up?
:evil: :evil: :evil: and other delicious sugary treats :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I feel like I'm facing that same Daily Battle again, but this time, it's to not eat sweet treats. I hate it - it's like it's constantly there... this overwhelming desire to eat something sweet.

Any advice for getting through the sugar cravings??? I wish it was as easy to give as smoking was :cry:
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:43 am

Congrats for giving up smoking I still get craving for a ciggy after 5 years I don't think that it will ever go away.
chocolate is like a addiction drug you can probly subsitute like one of the people on this forum with a jarrah 99% chocolate drink but for me it dosen't satisfy me I know that there are stop sugar craving patches or tablets that you can get from the health food store but I have never tried them. Mabe allow yourself a little taste of chocolate when you have a craving & dont eat the whole lot. Sometimes when I'm in one of those moods when I go to the shops I write out a shopping list & tell myself I only go up the shopping ailes that are on this list I will bypass the chocolate or lollies as I have a big sweet tooth & not buy any because it will only be a let down after I eat it . I ask my self is it worth if to sacrifice my goal for a little bit of delight that taste so nice.. I do that when I'm strict about my eating habbits. So be brave I think every one on this forum deals with the same situation so goodluck with the cravings
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:25 am

oh milkyway i remember there was a time where i had to have sweet things at my disposal. i was be a wreck if i knew trhere was no icecream lollies or chocolates or coke in the house for me to indulge in throughout the day. even if i had eaten everything by 6pm id ring mick and ask him to stop on the way home to get something and id say 'make sure u get urself something too' like i was telling myself that if he has one then i wont feel so bad about it because im not eating it on my own. i guess there just comes a time with my light bulb moment :idea: :idea: :idea: where i had to seriously not have anything. it was hard the first few weeks walking into the corner shop to buy milk or whatever and walk straight past the coke fridge, ice cream freezer and all the chocolates and lollies lined up on the counter. i had to keep telling myself 'i dont need that' repeatedly during those encounters. the way i look at it is you cant starve whilst losing weight. there are so many other yummy things to have whilst losing weight. i know its been mentioned before but the jarrah hot chocolattes really help me. although i only have one about 3 times a week as im not a hot drink person- never liked tea or coffee or anything like that. i also found that the Extra drops really helps. theyre these sweet little lollies with no cals. my mind thought i was having a lolly if i sucked on one of those. also another thing that helped was exercising. it kept me busy so i didnt think about food and after a workout id feel so great about myself that i didnt want to ruin anything by eating something like chocolate. you can get through it milkyway you just need to find something to help you like i found the above things helped me. chocolate is always going to be there so when u reach and stage where u are happy with where u are or you can control yourself you can have a bit one day.
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:00 am

I hear you on the smoking front Milkyway. I gave up 18 years ago and still got cravings on and off over the years, then I took it up again when my husband left (after a night on the champers), I have stopped again now, but every now and again (more frequently now) I get the craving - I am not giving in though.

Sugar is a little harder because you have to eat (you don't have to smoke) to live. I go for a long walk, buy 1 freddo frog, eat it very slowly and then walk home - that does the trick for me. You not only get a little of what you crave, but some exercise to counteract it. :lol:

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Congratulations on quitting smoking, that's great news.

Going cold turkey and forbidding yourself from eating chocolate and lollies while you lose weight won't work; you'll just end up binging. Don't deny yourself the occasional treat. If you allow yourself to indulge just a tiny little bit, you will find the cravings will subside.

For instance allow yourself to have a tiny piece of 70% dark chocolate. Be aware of it: let it melt in your mouth, absorbing the flavour, the texture, the taste. Don't chew it, letting it melt in your mouth will take longer and you will find that you won't need more than one piece.

If you don't like dark chocolate, you can always get a fun size milky way or mars bar put it in the freezer and wait till its frozen and then eat it. It will take you ages to eat and again satisfy your cravings.

Allow yourself to have a treat, it will guarantee that you will follow through with your promise and remember it's not a diet it's a lifestyle change and you have to live with this for the rest of your life. You won't be going back to your old eating habits after you lost all the weight so allowing a treat every now and then is good. We are all human and tempted by yummy treats. Just remember everything in moderation.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby zoeh » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:47 pm

I hear you, i gained 10 kgs when i quit smoking and started binging

I eat chocolate every day, but I leave enough calories left to do so I just cannot give it up, I've tried and I end up binging more!

At the moment I am having a caramello koala every day its small and i let it melt in my mouth mmmmmmmmmm
zoeh

Postby Justjudy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Yummmmm! Caramello Koalas :) Keep up the good work Zoeh :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby milkyway » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I think I will just have to go cold turkey for at least two weeks and then slowly reintroduce a little bit of chocolate into my life - I might try dark chocolate, or I love the sound of frozen milkyway, or a peppermint Freddo :D

Yummm
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Livy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:41 pm

Let's face it. One mars bar, or one turkish delight isn't going to make you fat. I see plenty of thin people eat chocolate.
The problem is TOO MUCH chocolate.
Allow yourself one chocolate bar a week, 1 bar. I mars, 1 snickers, 1 bar. Now if you want to keep in in the fridge and just have a bite now and then... great. If you want to eat it all at once, that's fine too. But that's IT!

I am lucky I live a long way from town, so I just buy the one and that's it for me, I am not going to drive all that way for 1 chocolate.

After alot of trepidation, I have also switched to artificial sweetner in my coffee and on my cereal.
I was eating ALOT of sugar, and know how fattening it is. So, I cut it out altogether. It has really helped me.
But, I still have my one chocolate a week.
Funnily enough, some of the biggest, and best weightloss successes I have ever read usually say they have one treat a week, whether it be chocolate or something else.
Go figure.

By the way, I gave up smoking a pack a day (50) 3 years ago when I was 3 months pregnant with my second child.
God, it feels so good not to be completely controlled by something! Doesn't it? I haven't had a craving in years.
Liv :D
Livy

Return to Weight loss Talk