It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:30 am

Free Newsletter

Asking your doctor for help . . .

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Asking your doctor for help . . .

Postby sharmie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:53 am

I have to go to the doctor sometime in the near future to get a new script, so i was thinking about asking her about helping me out with my weightloss as well, not like with medication nessiccarily but like maybe an eating plan or something like that. What sort of questions should i ask? And has anyone else gotten help like this off their GP? I would really appreciate any advice.
Sharmie :wink:

sharmie

Postby grugwashere » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 am

i asked my GP and pretty much he said eat breaky like weetbix
cut down on bad foods.... and do 30 mins of wakling a day
in a week and a hafl i lost four kilos because i wanted to impress him (not in a romantic way lol) which worked wonders for me...
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 am

hi sharmie i know our local gp has a dietician there once a week so he usually just makes an appointment for you with the dietician and she helps u out. perhaps just ask ur gp for a little guidance? this is where mandie might be able to help too! she might know what gp's usually do when faced with questions about weightloss.

best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:53 am

What about getting your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, thing like that tested now so that you can get them done again in a few months and see how your diet and exercise program is changing you on the inside?

I don't know that a GP isn't going to tell you more than what you already know in regards to a healthy eating plan. I think Kate's got the right idea, see if they have a dietician or can refer you to one.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:41 am

yeah the dietician that goes to the dr's surgery every week for the day she does all the weighing and organises blood tests and does the glucose tests and blood pressue etc.
kate_turner2000

Postby sharmie » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:19 pm

Thanks guys, I've got my appointment made for next friday (would have been sooner but its the only day i don't have work or uni between now and then) I might ask about a dietician refferal. getting my choesterol and that checked would probably be a good idea too. i might just do that.

Just out of curiosity how much does a dieticians appointment normally cost? are they expensive?

thanks again
Sharmie :wink:

sharmie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:11 pm

i think the one at the gp office in our area is free. it might be subsidised by medicare? i know that the nurse at the gp is subsidised. and she does my scripts for me as well as blood tests and pap smears etc. just ask ur dr when u go.
kate_turner2000

Postby Simmy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:30 pm

Hi Sharmie, I went to a dietician last yr. For memory the first appointment was $75 then $52 from then on. Most health funds will give you a rebate. With MBF I think I ended up being about $25 out of pocket for the initial consult. It's definately worth it, they go over your diet, and give you food portion recomendations. I had high blood pressure so she also desined a diet low in salt for me. Let us know how it goes!
Simmy

Postby Mandie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:20 pm

Yep, everyone has given some good advice there. A good GP should check your height and weight and record your BMI, and then also do some baseline blood tests including cholesterol and sugars, as people have already said. Some GPs are comfortable discussing healthy eating plans and exercise with you at length, and are happy for you to come back every week or fortnight to check your progress. Some prefer to send you to a dietician, which may cost a bit of money. See how you go. If you don't want to pay extra for a dietician, maybe ask your GP if he knows any other GPs with a special interest in weight loss? There's a few out there, and they can be pretty helpful. Good luck!
Mandie

Return to Weight loss Talk