It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Those scales won't budge - or if they do it's up not down!

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Those scales won't budge - or if they do it's up not down!

Postby Lexi_Louise » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:42 pm

I'm cross! :evil:

I'm with a weight loss centre and have a weekly half hour visit with my personal 'coach'. Up until the last few weeks my brain has not been too keen on losing weight and so therefore I've been on a weight plateau for about the previous 6 months. Fine. I accept that.

Then about a month ago (inspired by this forum actually) I realised that the choice is with me - i have to eat much less in order to actually lose some weight. Fine. Well i embarked on my food diary and kept a close eye on eating within the guidelines. I lost 400g the first week.

The subsequent week I stayed exactly the same weight. After looking over my food diary my coach said i had eaten too many salty foods and that was why there was no loss. Fine. I cut down on the salty food. :roll:

The next week I gained 1 kg. My coach said I had been eating too much fruit. :roll:

Well I feel like giving up! :evil: :evil: :evil:

The 6 months prior to this i exercised lots (the same as now).....and ate too much...... (but no binges).........and maintained my initial loss of 5 kg for 6 months.

So then I start to take it all seriously and I'm STILL not losing weight.........!!!!! Well I'm CROSS! What's going on????

I guess i feel like I'm being told 'too much salt' 'too much sugar' and I feel like i will never start to lose weight again!

I mean I know the theory - that I must still be eating more than my body is expending in energy.........but i'm very discouraged and don't feel like i can do it! How much more do I have to restrict my eating.....??? Life's not worth that!

Help.......I don't know what to think!

:(
I want to get out into the world.......NOW!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wi1Qi0O/]
Lexi_Louise

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:53 pm

hey lexi im frustrated for you mate! lets start for the beginning. how about u post a food diary for us and we can all offer suggestions as to where u would make small changes to benefit ur weightloss. sometimes its not clear to us when we are in situations like that but its quite simple to other people. gotta start somewhere so let us help you !!! good on u for ur enthusiasm too, u can get past this, dont let it stand in ur way!
kate_turner2000

Postby Lexi_Louise » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Thank you Kate. I will try and do that at the end of this week.....it just helps being able to let it all out!

Lexi_Louise

Postby 13words » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:15 pm

Sometimes it takes something radically different to what your body is used to. For example, vary your exercise plan for a few days and do somethng you haven't done in a long time, like a few 10 minute intervals of skipping, or a walk uphill. Or you could either change your eating habits for a few days to kick start your metabolism. For example you could have your main meal for lunch, and then your lunch for your dinner, as it makes a change for the body, and as it's not used to it it will kick start your metabolism. Spicy foods also make your metabolism burn 25% more calories for 20 hours after you eat them. This is what I did when I hit my plateau. I was stuck on 105 kgs for about a month until I combined a change in exercise with a change in eating for one week, and then my weight started dropping again. You need to challenge yourself!! It just takes some time and you'll be fine! Are you taking any multivitamin supplements?
SW: 126.4
CW: 103s
1st GW: 99.9
13words

Postby Ally » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:56 pm

I agree it would certainly be frustrating mate, but the alternative is to give up and possibly gain weight! I agree with Kate that maybe post your food diary here and take on board some suggestions....I can totally understand you are at breaking point, but don't give in! We will help you if we can mate.... :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Keep at it, even if you aren't losing weight at the moment you are increasing the health of your body. Like the others said, try posting your food diary; if you post it each day then you'll be able to get immediate input, rather than having to wait until you see your coach?

Good luck, all good things come to those who wait.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Lexi_Louise » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 pm

Thanks everyone....mixing it up sounds like it may be worth a try thanks 13words............i will keep on........of course!

Lexi_Louise

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:29 pm

Have you also taken measurements? You could be building muscle so that could explain why the numbers aren't going down.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Puffer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:25 pm

Lexi I understand your frustration - I am going through the same thing!

13words I will try your suggestion but I need some creative suggestions for how to change my eating habits to kickstart my weight loss again but still eat healthy.

A typical day for me is:

Weet bix and all bran for brekki + soy milk + sugar

Lunch is a sandwich of some description, toasted ham cheese and tomato, or peanut butter on multigrain or if I buy something chicken, avocado, sundried tomato type foccacia thing

Dinner is usually meat with fresh steamed veggies or with pasta, or rice

and there is some chocolate thrown in most days :roll:

I cant eat my main meal at lunch because lunch is either at uni or work.

A typical workout is the cardio machines at the gym. I might try going to classes instead but it is hard with the timetabling and you have to be a lot more motivated to go to a class knowing your stuck there for an hour :wink:
Puffer

Postby Livy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:52 pm

I could have written this post myself! It has taken me 8 days to lose 2kgs, and the scales go up and down every single day. I had someone recently tell me, that if I wanted to weigh in every day, that I had to except rises and falls which are completely normal for the human body.
I am trying to avoid processed food. I eat no bread AT ALL, not even wholegrain, but then again, I am not a massive bread eater at the best of times. I do eat chocolate once a week, but no more than that.
I have often cried about the very thing you are going through. Like, how is it, that when I eat what I want (including hot chips on town day, cake and bikkies) I happily maintain my weight at 84kgs. I mean, I dont' lose any, dont' gain any. I realize that the food I serve is good. I dont' have lots of crap in my house, I eat mainly good food, but I really overeat most nights, having seconds of the meal I have cooked, or having huge portions. Now, even when I excercise like a trojan (weights and cardio), cut my calories in half, take my protein powder, and drink my water, it still takes 8 days to lose 2 freakin kilos. It's enough to drive you balmy! I also think often, that my body just LOVES being 84 kilos!!
I think what I have realized is this. I only ever stick to anything for a short time. The key I think is CONSISTENCY and PERSISTANCE. Don't give up. That's the bottom line. JUST DON'T GIVE UP!
Look at the biggest loser, some of them are working out 4 hours a day and still only losing a couple of kgs a week!
Be patient. It will happen.
Also, it can take your body sometime to kick into 'fatburn' mode. I think it tries to really hold onto those fat stores, and you have to convince the bugger to let them go! :)
Hang in there buddy, you'll get there.
Livy

Return to Weight loss Talk