It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:17 am

Free Newsletter

When does it start coming off?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:23 pm

Actually it's a myth that full cream milk is high in fat - it's only about 3.8% - which for most products is advertised as 96% fat free! Obviously the lower fat milks are going to speed up your weight loss - particularly if you drink a lot of milk, but if you hate them , you wont stick at it.

I also water down my dh's milk if I have no lo fat left - after all I'm pretty sure that the generic lite milk is just watered down full cream anyway. :)

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby KimE » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:04 pm

I have skinny milk and find the other stuff too rich now.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Pepper » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Sorry but it's not rocket science here......

Your biggest problem aside from the full cream milk is the ICE CREAM which (if you refuse to drink the dirty dish water type...skim milk) then I'm guessing you probably aren't having light or reduced ice-cream either!!! Three or four tablespoons??? :shock: Are you serious??? :roll: Forget the fat, the sugar content alone would blow any loss out the window before you even digest it (days later)!!! :oops:
[center]Image[/center]
Your diary intake is way way WAYYYYYYYYY too high, for the amount of exercise your body is doing (which is admirable) but not enough to burn pure FAT as that found in milk, ice-cream and any other diary product.

And please, don't even get me started on the SPAGHETTI which if the normal white (not wholemeal) type will also weigh you down in the evening.

Don't get me wrong I'm not anti-spag, or anit-diary at all; I love them both. But if you're going to have either of these luxuries (and yes they are luxuries) because the body doesn't NEED full cream milk or ice-cream or white pasta; then turn the notch up on the movin' n' shakin' girlfriend.

I think your best bet would be to invite these friends over on a weekly basis rather than a nightly one if you want to make a dent in your weight loss efforts!!!
[center]ImageImage[/center]
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 pm

i dont think dairy and pasta should be considered 'luxuries' in the scheme of things. they just need be eaten in moderation if not eating the low fat/ wholemeal varieties. she has already admitted she has a 'thang' for ice cream, and she is going to do something about it to see the weight come off more quickly than it is.
kate_turner2000

Postby aramat1980 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:59 pm

um, pasta, spaghetti i would only have once a week and as i said earlier, the ice cream is my farce and i'm doing something about it.
aramat1980

Postby milkyway » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Justjudy wrote:Tamara are you weighing everything? sometimes that makes a difference. I know that when I started I wasn't weighing my food, and my portion sizes were enough to sometimes stop or slow right down my weightloss. When I started with calorie king I started weighing all my food, and was surprised how much extra I was eating without realising.

Judy :D

This is the same for me, even though I've just started.

I've always been pretty active and doing frequent, intentional exercise and wondered why my weight hardly budged. From weekly personal training, gym, running, boxing and kickboxing. Last year I trained for 5 months to do the 100km Oxfam Trailwalker and lost only 2kg, despite walking and hiking up to 60km per week!

I thought I was eating well and my portion sizes were average, but in hindsight, I was eating waaay too much. Since I've started weighing food (not everything, I'm not being overly religious about it) and using Calorie King, I've started to realise just how big that 'average' portion of rice or pasta actually is, how much fat I'm taking in, how many carbs and how little protein... a recipe for weightgain or at the very least, weight stability.

For the past 2.5 weeks, I've been monitoring what I eat, have cut out all intentional sugar (ie chocolate and other sweetie treats -- really hard for the first few days but now I'm fine) and I've lost almost 2.5kg! That's just from eating 'real' sized portions (and continuing with my exercise plan) and avoiding sugary foods. I'm not hungry at all either.

So consider what Judy says as I believe there is wisdom in dem words -- they worked for me, hopefully they will work for you, too.

PS Thanks Judy!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Jisgone » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:23 am

hey i just noticed u said u dont reach the suggested ammount of calories for the day, if your not feeding your body enough u will store the fat sometimes to lose more u need to eat more
Jisgone

Postby Pepper » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:19 am

kate_turner2000 wrote: she has already admitted she has a 'thang' for ice cream, and she is going to do something about it to see the weight come off more quickly than it is.
I understand she has a "thang" for ice-cream (so do I) but you have to decide which "thang" is more important to you, weight loss or indulgence. And I'm not advocating "thou shalt not...." here, I'm just saying, if you're going to continue to indulge your "thang" without trying a few alternatives (ie. low fat/reduced) substitutes, then at least cut down the amount ie. twice a week OR 2 tablespoons 5 nights out of 7 or, or, or.......

You can gloss over it all you like. The problem is portion size (ie. 3-4 tablespoons) of obviously full cream ice confectionary, too often, with minimal physical activity.

Wrong food choices, high quantities, too often = (at best) weight stablity or NO LOSS.

I'm sorry if my post was a bit harsh, I have a habit of cutting to the chase, especially when I read stuff that sounds like excuses. Which by the way, I recognise only too well, as I use them all the time. Only now I stop trying to BS myself and everyone around me; I didn't get to this size my making all the right food choices, and justifying them by saying they're MY "thang"!!!

So when you're ready to cut the fat arama1980 and take charge of your life, I'm sure you'll do extremely well, but until then, would you care for a bit of cheese with your whine????

Good luck, it's a hard road, but as they say, all that is worth having doesn't come easily!!! :wink:
Strong people don't walk away from the truth, only the excuses others try to sell them.
Pepper

Postby Pepper » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:32 am

aramat1980 wrote:um, pasta, spaghetti i would only have once a week and as i said earlier, the ice cream is my farce and i'm doing something about it.
Ummm....like, in addition to the full cream milk and your 3-4 tablespoons of full fat ice-cream.

Let me guess, the meat and veg every other night is carb-light/fat light (ie. no potatoes, no corn, no starch; hell, no flavour almost!!)

You're doing something about it?? What?? I haven't heard you say anything that even hints at a possibility that you would consider renegotiating your choices ie. switching to skim, reduced or carb controlled.

But hey, I don't care, justify all you like; I'm not the food police here; I'm just an outsider looking in on a whole lot of excuses, and whinging about weight not shifting regardless of how much exercise you do, how little calories you eat, blah blah blah :roll:

HELLLLOOOOOOOO........wake up and put the desert spoon down DORA.....!!! :oops:
Pepper

Postby Dee » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:34 am

Hey Pepper, I think you're being a bit harsh - it really isn't an easy change to make especially if you don't know what foods are best and which ones should really be avoided. Many of us have been dieting on and off for years before we learned what actually works. I don't know about everyone else, but I really rely on thie site to give me advice - which you're doing well, but in a totally non-judgmental way. Pepper, you've always been great with me, but if you'd asked me if I'd wanted cheese with my whine, I'd probably have bawled my eyes out!

Tamara, just a quick thing - with your spaghetti - try making sure you're using lean meat. Little changes like this aren't so hard, but will show big results. It's not going to be easy - but you can do it.

Best of luck

Dee[/quote]
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby SarahC » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:57 am

Hi Tamara... looks like you have a tonne of advice here already :D The only thing I can add to it is that it does sometimes take a while to start to see the results. I know for me, there is a lag of about 3 or 4 weeks between the time I make changes and the time I see results. Just keep working at it and you will see some changes happening soon I am sure :wink:
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 am

well you dont have to be so bloody rude pepper. if you are going to knock peoples 'spelling' then go ahead. but take your own advice (which you seem to dish out without encouraging people or praising them) sweetheart, by looking at your ticker you have a long way to go too!

good on you tamara for giving it a shot, dont let people bring you down. the thing with overweight people is that we often arent educated enough about certain foods and healthy eating. it sounds like you have come to the right place to get encouragement and support for your weightloss journey. if it was an easy thing to do (to lose weight) then we wouldnt all be here.
kate_turner2000

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:21 am

Thanks Kate and everyone else who is supporting me. I just figured that everything in moderation is good. I can cut out major foods ie carbohydrates completely or i'll fall over! we need energy just to survive.
I've been doing a lot of thinking before deciding on how i'm going to go about this weight loss and that's my opinion, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. isn't that what they keep trying to teach you? these fad diets, no carbs, no protein, no dairy, they don't work for good.
Anyways, good luck to all of you reaching your goals.
aramat1980

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:28 am

no probs tamara. you are right, we need to make decision for a lifestyle change that we can continue with after our weightloss journey has helped us reach our goals. if you check out the food diary section you will see that everyone eats well and has the occasional treats and theyre losing weight too. if you make too many drastic changes at once you are less likely to stick with it. small changes lead to big things. and after a few weeks of getting into healthier habits it will come more naturally to you :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Vegetable » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:38 am

[quote But hey, I don't care, justify all you like; I'm not the food police here;
You sure sound like you think you are pepper. You are being incredibly rude and talking down to other members as though you are above. Pasta and spaghetti are NOT luxuries. I eat pasta AT LEAST every second day and it sure as anything has not effected my weightloss. As far as the ice cream, EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. I have a friend who has lost 50 kgs, and she eats ice cream with a grated freddo on top every single day. This lady was asking for advice not criticisms. Live and let live mate. [/quote]
Vegetable

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk