It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Free Newsletter

Some help needed.

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Some help needed.

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:29 pm

Ok I just found out that I have to go away for work for 3 nights and 4 days.

I will be eating hotel and restaurant foods for all my meals. It will be difficult to count kjs as I will have no idea how the food is prepared by chefs. Even healthy foods can be laden with fatty dressings.

I would appreciate any helpful suggestions and tips on surviving this.

Cheers guys.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Vegetable » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 pm

Hey mate :) Sorry I dont hink Im much help, other than I guess the best options in restaurants are steak/chicken and salad or vegies with no dressings...... If you are in your hotel for dinner maybe you could get some lean Cuisines if the food is really bad? Sorry I cant be much more help, Ive never had to stay somewhere for work (lol stay at home mum :D )
Vegetable

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:33 pm

Hey Jennifer Always ask for no chips with the meals and ask for any dressings on the side....don't be scared to ask them to do things a bit differently, most places are happy to oblige... stay away from things labelled "creamy" as it will be through the roof with cals and fat...if you order a salad with your meal ask for no "wet" salads (coleslaw and potato salads etc) as this can also ruin a great healthy meal...hope this helps a bit :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:34 pm

hey jen we have a member who travels a lot for work but she isnt around much at the moment probably because of working! however you are right, a lot of the time u dont see what is prepared by chefs etc. some tips i can offer are:

* always leave food on ur plate- you dont have to eat it all!
* have a salad on the side and ask for no dressing
* chew slowly and saviour the flavours, u will be full before you know it
* have an entree as ur main meal
*dont have dessert
* dont touch the mini bars in the hotel rooms!
* have water with ur meal
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 pm

I think the others have said it all!!
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the great tips everyone. kate, I will definitely be following your advice.

Ally you are so right. If you don't ask you never know. So I called the Marriott Hotel and spoke to the concierge; I asked them a million and one questions about the breakfast, lunch and dinner menus. I also told the concierge of my dietary requirements and asked them if they could cater for my needs. Which they can woo hoo. So basically as long as I let them know before hand, everything should be fine.

With dinners I will stick to fish, steak, chicken dishes (without sauces, rice and pasta) and get a side serving of salad and vegetables. Lunches, I will stick with some fruit salad and salad sandwiches (no butter or mayo). Breakfast I can still have my porridge (yummo but have to remember to ask them to make it with water instead of milk) and snacks I will go to a woolies or coles and buy some nuts and zip locked bags to take with me to nibble on.

I'm glad I've got a plan down packed. Was a bit worried :cry: but if I stick to my plan I shouldn't gain any weight. I will also have to watch my alcohol consumption :oops:

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:31 pm

That is great news Jennifer!!! Sounds like you are all set food wise now!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Dee » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:32 pm

well done on being so prepared! You'd make a good scout.

Planning is 90% of the battle - so you're doing great. Enjoy the trip. (Even if it is for work)

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Vegetable » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:16 pm

Thats brilliant that they will do that for you mate :D It must take a lot of worries off your shoulders. :P
Vegetable

Postby ZelmaWA » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:17 pm

When I've gone to stay at a hotel before, whether for a few days in another city or a few weeks in another country, I've actually bought the food for most of my meals and had them in my room. This may not be something you wish to do, but it certainly made my life easier in the long run. As soon as I arrive in a new city/town I would go shopping at the nearest grocery store. I take ziplock bags with me and buy cereals, fruit, veg (although have to buy this more often) and package it into bags or disposable containers. I have had to ask for the bar fridge to be emptied before and for a bar fridge to be made available (in the U.S. they don't always have bar fridges), but that usually wasn't too much of a problem.

You have mentioned buying your snacks, but you may also be able to buy food for your breakfast and lunch as well, and just have to have the dinners out or from Room Service.

I have just found this method to be the best way of making sure I knew what I was consuming. It was VERY difficult to find healthy choices of meals in the U.S. and the portions were ridiculous! I hated paying good money for something that I would barely touch.

Anyway... just another suggestion. I hope you have a wonderful time away.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:40 pm

Zelma, that’s a very good idea. I will definitely store that as useful advice to use later on. I think it's more suitable for when on holidays. My schedule is very hectic for those four days. I have lots of meetings and a conference to attend. I won't have much time to prepare food and I know that the Hotel will be very accommodating with my requests.

Vegetable's, I was stressing out about it before I rang to enquire if they could do that. I didn't want to ruin my hard work. Although at times I think I am obsessing a bit too much about food. The kilojoule intake, portion size, fat content, making sure I have 5-6 small meals a day, but then I've only just started my healthy journey and in a couple of weeks everything should just be rolling and I wont have to be so pedantic about measuring, weighing and checking my bible (calorie counter book) and I will know what is what.

Dee- I am going to enjoy my trip as I am going to spoil myself a little bit and get a facial and massage while I'm down there :D . Also going to take my runners and exercise clothes so I can continue with exercise. I'm not going to use this work trip as an excuse to overindulge.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby tree » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi Jennifer

I have been doing quite a bit of travelling for work at the moment and it is quite a challenge.

Honestly I would suggest that if it is not a regular thing for you then the first thing you should do is make sure you enjoy it. Dont stress to much.

If you want to make sure the few days away doesnt ruin all your hard work then the suggestions such as meat and salad meals with all your dressings on the side are great. You will find that big hotels are used to business travellers and if breakfast is included they will have a selection of cereals and yoghurts as well as all the usual greasy choices. I also suggest that if you are ordering a meal with a group of people. Decide straight away and order before you hear everyone elses tempting choices.

Take your sneakers, get up early and walk before you have breakfast or even better use the hotel gym if they have one. Dont worry about feeling daggy - the hotel gyms are often not used and if they are it is by old hairy men in holey singlets - no one will even notice you!

Good luck and enjoy it!
T.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg
tree

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi Tree,

Thanks for all the great tips. I'm not so stressed out about it anymore, as I have a plan and as long as I stick to my plan everything will be ok. I'm not going to use the excuse of rushing around and having meals with colleagues be my downfall :lol: .

I travel from time to time with work (around 4 times a year) however in the past I was not worried about making conscious healthy food choices and ate and drank whatever I felt like if it was naughty and decadent so be it.

Now that I've made a firm decision to change my eating habits and make a healthier lifestyle for myself I want to be armed with information to get me through it and still enjoy the time away and not have to worry that I'm going to completely blow the gasket.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby KimE » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:00 am

I love getting to use the hotel facilities, gym and pool area.

Sounds like you have plenty of good tips and advice there to help you get through. All the best and hope you enjoy your stay in Melbourne.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Weight loss Talk