It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:51 pm

Free Newsletter

If not dieting, then what?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

If not dieting, then what?

Postby tree » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:13 pm

I went to a seminar a few weeks ago and heard a talk by a guy called Dr Rick Kausman.

He has a weightloss clinic in Melbourne. The basic theme was about a non dieting approach to weight management.

His thoughts are around trusting yourself and loving yourself the way you are and to trust your intuition combined with nutritional knowledge to get to a healthy weight. He does not believe in any of the BMI numbers and disagrees with eating the same amount of food every day.

He does not talk about overweight but he does talk about the healty weight for each individual.

He basically says that depriving yourself of food is not sustainable and that is why people do not have long term success with extreme programs.

I bought the book and it has given me so much to think about.

His web site is

http://www.ifnotdieting.com.au/cpa/htm/htm_home.asp

check it out.
T.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg
tree

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:22 pm

wow that sounds really interesting tree and definately something i will think about further :) thanks heaps
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Sustainability is a big key I feel, luckily I now enjoy the healthy food I eat and if I want a treat it is just that a treat and not a regular occurrence. However, my relationship with food is a very different one today than it was a year ago.

This also shows there really are different ways for everybody and some people may work better on a stricter intake because they need the discipline and structure.

Dr Rick's top ten tips are fantastic and I love the idea of 'everyday' food and 'sometimes' food instead of 'good' or 'bad' food. Sends a better message.

Thanks for that info. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Donk » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:35 pm

That's the sort of approach I took to my weight loss, I never went on a diet, just getting some better nutritional knowledge and added exercise into my daily routine.

You are never going to be able to change your habits in one day, but slowly adapting things that you know you can fit into your life goes a long way to that weight loss. Along the way I have become more strict, but there is no way I could be eating what I eat a year ago, it would have been too much of a drastic change that my body wouldn't have been able to handle I don't believe.
Donk

Postby Chelle » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:06 pm

That is the approach I have taken I call it a healhy lifestyle change not a diet
Chelle

Postby tree » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:20 pm

Yes I really like the idea of sometimes food rather than good or bad.

ALL FOOD IS MORALLY NEUTRAL.

It is a good reminder when you are beating yourself up over something you ate to just acknowledge that there is no such thing as "bad food" or that "I was bad". It really helps just to think "well that was a sometimes food and I just had it and i wont have it again for a while". I like the idea that I can eat whatever I like as long as I eat it slowly and enjoy it. It stops me thinking with desperation about all the food I may never be "allowed" to eat again if I want to get and stay slim.

He also mentions in the book that one meal is not the end of the earth - it is the pattern of eating that will determine whether or not you are over your most healthy weight. I think this is true.

Most people that are struggling with weight have had unhealty eating habits over a long period of time.

One lovely meal out with friends with a glass of wine on the side did not make me the weight I am. This means that I can lose the weight and still enjoy and indulgence from time to time as long as the indulgence is not the pattern.

Works for me! It may take a little longer for me to get to my most healthy weight this way but I feel so much happier and calmer about food that I am prepared to take the time to get the results.
T.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg
tree

Postby Justjudy » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:23 pm

Couldn't agree with you more Tree.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:33 pm

tree wrote:He also mentions in the book that one meal is not the end of the earth - it is the pattern of eating that will determine whether or not you are over your most healthy weight. I think this is true.

couldnt agree more :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:27 pm

Absolutely. It has to be about your overall pattern of eating and exercise for the long haul, which is why I prefer to think of it as being healthy not losing weight.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Ally » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:34 am

absolutely true!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby alayna1980 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:25 am

I also agree with that just stopping from eating wouldn’t solve anything. I try to combine diets with exercise, I drink a lot of water (2liters/day) and never eat after 7 pm. But in what regards the cellulite, exercise didn’t help. The most satisfying results I got from Anti-Cellulite Body Milk from Aslaskin that I have used twice a day, after bath or shower, vigorously massaging the body concentrating on areas predisposed or already affected by cellulite…unfortunately for me, if I leave out one of these 3 (diet, exercise and anti-cellulite cream) I don’t get the results I want :(
alayna1980

Return to Weight loss Talk