It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Free Newsletter

Medications

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Medications

Postby CMS » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:34 pm

Hello everyone, I've been browsing for a while but thought I would post.

Ok I'm 23 and weigh 72kg and 4 days ago started my own diet and exercise. I do aerobics on my own each morning from a dvd and I'm sooo sore right now. I've also cut down alot on my eating. Since I'm vegetarian I usually have: iced coffee with 1 sachet of equal and skim milk, skim milk with apricot and almond muesli. For dinner it's usually salad or 2 vegetarian schnitzels and if I am hungry later I'll have an orange or some more muesli.

That's my diet at the moment. What I want to know is can medications you are on affect weight loss? When I was 17 I ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise but I was under weight. Since then I have started using sleeping pills called stilnox (or ambien in america) and I found weight has piled on no matter what. But I can't not take them otherwise I don't sleep.

Has anyone else had this problem and what do you suggest?
CMS

Postby MissE » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:39 pm

some medications can, and sleeping tablets might be slowing down your metabolism overnight, which is when you tend to regenerate and burn off alot...
I was on an epilesy drug that had the side effects of weight gain *and* increased appetite. ugh.
have you tried all the natural sleeping aids like Valerian?
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby CMS » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Yes I've tried everything but stilnox is the only thing that works :(
CMS

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:51 pm

unfortunately it can affect your weight... is it possible to cut your dosage of the stillnox? maybe you can talk to the doctor about slowly SLOWLY decreasing the amount you take, until maybe you can come off it or at least only take it a couple of times a week?

don't worry too much about it - just keep exercising and eating healthily and you'll be fine :) doesnt matter if the weight comes off slowly, as long as it comes off!

oh, and welcome aboard!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:12 pm

hey cms welcome!! to me it doesnt sound like you are eating enough. your body will go into starvation mode and will hold onto all the food if you dont eat enough therefore you wont lose weight.
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:23 pm

yes I was thinking the same Kate.....

Welcome aboard CMS!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Chelle » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:03 am

what about seeing a doctor or a herbelist mabey chinese doctor to see if there is anything else that could help you with sleeping or to lose weight
Chelle

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:24 am

Welcome CMS.

I too think you need to add another meal in there... Food actually stimulates your metabolism, helping you to burn fat faster.

Good luck.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby CMS » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks for the welcomes! :D

I bought fruit last night I can munch on during the day and some lemon herbal tea that's meant to assist in weight loss. Also some sustagen supplement drink.

I think I've lost some weight on my legs tho and my body isn't sore anymore even tho I do the aerobics everyday so I must be doing something right lol

Is it right to keep eating fruit during the day?
Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply ~ Bruce Lee
CMS

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:20 pm

they usually recommend no more than 2 serves of fruit a day because it contains a fair bit of natural sugar.

try and snack on vegies once you are through your 2 serves a day- like celery, cherry tomatoes, snow peas etc
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:05 pm

Raw carrots are great - simple, easy and trasportable. They're also really yummy dipped in salsa, tzatziki (sp?) or hummus.
...mmmmm... hummus.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Stilnox

Postby doublebubble » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi CMS,
I saw a program the other night on A Current Affair about Stilnox, you should go to the website and read the story, it has ruined some peoples lifes with some very serious sleepwalking sideffects. One lady went to her ex's house and assaulted him then got arrested, another lady put on 23kg and didnt know why until her daughter caught her in the fridge eating in her sleep. A man even walked out the window and died. Just thought I'd let you know, sorry didn't want to scare you but thought you should check it out.

Sam :(
doublebubble

Postby CMS » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:47 pm

Oh yeah I know about the side effects of stilnox. I watched the program too. But I've been on them for about 4 years now, and when I first started taking them I would apparantly phone my boyfriend up at odd hours. Then when he asked why I was up so late calling him I didn't remember lol

I don't do it anymore tho my body has kind of developed a tolerance to them so I haveto take a high dosage :roll:
Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply ~ Bruce Lee
CMS

Postby KimE » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:29 am

Hello CMS and welcome to the forum.

Adding fruit and veges during the day is a good idea. Don't know much about the Stillnox but looks like there has been plenty of advice given.

All the best on your journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby doublebubble » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:46 am

CMS wrote:Oh yeah I know about the side effects of stilnox. I watched the program too. But I've been on them for about 4 years now, and when I first started taking them I would apparantly phone my boyfriend up at odd hours. Then when he asked why I was up so late calling him I didn't remember lol

I don't do it anymore tho my body has kind of developed a tolerance to them so I haveto take a high dosage :roll:

Sounds like all is OK. It must have been a strange feeling, knowing you called your boyfriend but didnt remember anything :)

Sam
doublebubble

Return to Weight loss Talk