It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Is BMI a crock??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is BMI a crock??

Postby MissE » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:37 pm

Ok, I'm size 14, and look ok naked. but according to my BMI, I'm obese. I was whinging to a workmate, who is a rugby player and totally buff, and he told me his BMI said he was morbidly obese!! So I was thinking about it, it goes on *only* height and weight, not taking into account anything like muscle bulk or bone structure... how can doctors justify using it as a method of establishing healthy weight??
Life is too important to be taken seriously!

Postby electrongirl » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:42 pm

I've heard conflicting things about BMI.

mine says I am obese, which I really dont think I am.

I am definately overweight but not obese.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog:

Image Image

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:49 pm

the thing with BMI is that it's not a perfect measure. most doctors (if they are smart) will just use it as a guideline, and use their eyes for the rest!

for example, if a rugby player was standing in front of me and his BMI indicated he was obese, but i could see he was clearly full of muscle, i wouldn't be recommending he lose weight!

if someone is uncertain, you can always do body fat measurements and skinfold tests to measure fat...

for the general public though - yeah, BMI is a good guide. you can figure out approximately where you need to be (and how much weight you need to lose to get there), and work it out from there!

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:10 pm

Wished i looked ok naked! haha

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:25 pm

Oh Kate I think Mick might see things differently!! :P

Postby talia11 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Mine says I am obese too, my husband was a physical trainer in the Army and he says its a crock because it does not take into account muscle mass.......I don't get too worried about it..... the weight and clothing size is what concerns me...
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

Postby Chelle » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:53 pm

mine says that I'm in the healthy weight range, but I rekon that I still need to loose another 10 - 13 Kg because i don't like my body after having children

Postby tree » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:30 pm

I have read quite a few things that indicate that the BMI data is outdated and not helpful. I agree that it does not take into account muscle mass.

I think clothing size and general fitness is a much better measure.

I saw one thing that I thought was interesting - cant remember where but it said that your waist measurement should be 1/2 your height and yes you can suck in!

I really liked it! 3 cms to go!

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:34 pm

hey guys head over to my daily tips section to see some info on BMI :)

Postby magenta » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:40 pm

I read somewhere that even George Clooney was considered obese :shock: No way is he!!!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:13 pm

The BMI is what it is. It does not take into account your fat to muscle ratio. This means it is a guide to the average body weights. Obviously you have to take into account your muscle mass etc when you use the BMI as a guide. I challenge your doctor to tell a heavyweight boxer he is morbidly obese and survive more than 5 mins. Really as a medical indicator, the BMI should only (IMHO) be used in conjunction with other measures such as the skin fold tests etc.

Some doctors however seem singularly unable to account for these types of things (like one of my previous doctors, who on my first presentation to her for a pap smear, decided, whilst I was lying half naked on her table, to take my blood pressure (BP). She was, for some unfathomable reason, highly surprised that my BP was through the roof and demanded I take weekly BP measurements for 2 months before she would accede to my insistence that I did NOT need BP medication)

My advice- use common sense. Use the BMI as a guide, taking into account it's weaknesses and augmenting it's result with other information you may have such as skin fold tests, the way you look, trusted friend's assessments etc.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Mandie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:17 pm

Yep, agree with above.

I just want to add though, that while the BMI system is flawed, it is quite good at recognising underweight people. It tends to err on the side of overweight (as above, really muscly people tend to come up as overweight or obese), so if you register as UNDERweight, you really are below a healthy weight range for your height.

Just something to think about! So don't go aiming for a BMI of 16 or anything...

Postby doublebubble » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:17 pm

Good point MissE, something to think about. :)

Return to Weight loss Talk