It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:10 am

Free Newsletter

Getting organised and getting health

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Getting organised and getting health

Postby milkyway » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:30 pm

So much of this weightloss and healthy living thing comes down to organisation and a bit of forward planning (at least it does for me). I'm not a very organised person and I find it difficult to plan for the short-term, and as for the long-term, well I don't even wanna go there :shock:

I know that I should get to the supermarket and grocer and do a big healthy shop, cook some healthy foods on the weekend and have them in the fridge/freezer for the coming week (I do that as often as possible)... and setting out exercise clothes in the bathroom is a good one to take the hassle out of sleepy brain upon wakening.

What are some your tips for getting organised and planning that have helped you on your journey to a healthier lifestyle?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:36 pm

Definitely my food diary, that's helped sooo much! I put my breakfast cereals & fruit (if I'm having it) out the night before so I can just grab em, I put my vitamins out on my desk to take them. I always put out my clothes, whether they're workout clothes or work clothes the night before... That's pretty much it! I find it helps a LOT!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:54 pm

i really dont have the time to plan meals and write things down for meals etc. i have been doing a food diary which has woken me up to portion sizes again! especially with the carbs i have brought back into my daily food intake. i have been eating less than what calorie king says. i lost my 21 kg without counting calories but being on maintenance i find that i have to count them to help remind me about foods and portions.

i keep a daily diary in my phone of things that need doing which i remind myself of. i also write them down on this forum things like pledges and exercise.
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:18 pm

Unfortunately (I find) you simply need to take the time occassionally to do the prep work and the cooking. But you could try these tips, which have been passed ot me by other folks.

When you're making healthy meals , make extra and pop it straight into a container for the freezer, or fridge.

Keep quick foods in the fridge and cupboard, like yoghurt, stirfry stuff, etc. that can be made up into a quick instant snack or meal.

Keep crudites like carrot, celery, and fruit chopped up to snakc on while you take the time to cook a proper meal - rather than seeking something now that isn't neccessarily your best option.

Hope this helps.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Chelle » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:29 am

I don't have a plan, I think it is just a routine for me, but the last few months have been really hetic, & only going to get really busy over the next couple of weeks, than after that I can start to focus on lossing weight & getting myself on track again once I have settled down after I move..

As for routine I have set time fram because I have to work around my little one as he has a sleep time around 12 o'clock, monday is swimming lessons, tuesday, wednesday & friday mornings is gym day, saturdays depends on how big of week I have had at work. thursday's I drop the kids off at school & do me time which is somthing that I can do when I have the kids around, like go for a big walk along the beach & go for a swim, have lunch with my friends, walk to the shops & walk back it takes me 1/2 an hour to get there. Eating I mainly have BBQ's ckn marinated ckn breast with salade or raw veggies for diner or stir fry's as I don't have the time to cook at night because I work at night start's from 6 anywhere between 11 to 3am in the morning, throughout the day I have salads, soups or fruit for lunch & watch my shows that I missed out the night before because of work, while my youngest is sleeping. Snacks I have alot of fruit I cut up veggie sticks ( carrot, cucumber & celery) & kept that in a container in the fridge whenever I get hungry. for breaky I have nutri grain or saltana bran with light milk with a piece of fruit or I have a meal replacment protien shake to get my metabolism going in the mornings.
Chelle

Postby KimE » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:23 am

During the week I make sure I have time either at night or in the morning to prepare snacks and meals for the day so I don't have to buy anything. Always take my gym gear to work with me on Monday and bring it home Friday this ensure I it there to go for a workout during my lunch break.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:26 am

I think planning and organising is one of the keys to success in a weightloss journey! I have found over the last few weeks through one event or another that I am not properly prepared and well the proof is in my weighins!! Plan and prepare....it is essential!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:10 am

Yep weight loss is about being organised and having a plan. After all lack of planning is the cause of all failures.

Here are some of the things I do that help me:

* prepare a weekly dinner menu in advance. I usually do a huge shop on saturday mornings so I go through different healthy low cal/low fat recipes and write down the ingredients that I need to feed two. I stick to those meals as it makes it easier to know what to cook when either beauty or I get home from work.

*I keep my metabolism revved throughout the day. I make sure I eat ever 3 hours. I usually have 5-6 meals a day.

* snacks: I stock up of lots of fruit enough to make a huge bowl of fruit salad and separates serves. I also make a trail mix of pumpkin seeds, walnuts, peanuts, almonds and sultanas. I also buy yogurt in individual serving tubs, cottage cheese. I cut up celery and carrot sticks- which I have with cottage cheese or hummus.

* exercise I wake up at 5:15 every morning to go for a walk. I have my exercise clothes on a chair in the corner of our room so I don't have to hunt for it. On the days I've designated as gyming, the night before I pack my gym bag and place it in the boot of my car so "I won't forget".

Also our house is a "junk food free zone". My partner isn't a huge fan of junk food only eats it on rare occasions so there is no temptation laying around - only strawberry jam :roll: which he has on toast every morning and that's my weakness haha so I have to be very cautious here hahah

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby electrongirl » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:11 am

On Sunday I go and get my fruit and veges for the week and I have 2 big plastic containers and I make up my salad in one and make up veges for stirfries in the other.

That way I just fill up my container every morning with salad for lunch, add a boiled egg. Take a can of tuna and fat free dressing to add later.

with the stirfry veges, all I have to do is chop up some chicken or beef, wack it in the wok, then add a couple of handfuls of veges. Add some rice and I have dinner sorted!

I usually plan my food for the day in the morning, so I know exactly how many points I am using and what I have to eat and snack on.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Justjudy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:00 pm

I am just one of those organised people, and always have been. I have a diary that absolutely everything goes into, that makes it easier to keep "appointments" like exercise, study, kids sport etc.

Each fortnight, my 10 year old and I sit down and write a menu for the next two weeks. I then write a list, and do shopping for the fortnight - with the exception of fruit and veg, they are bought twice a week (see the diary). The menu thing not only lets us know "whats for dinner" in advance, but saves on the grocery bill, because I only buy what is on the list. It also helps my son feel that he has a say - even though I often veto what he has picked.

My last tip is something that many of us know and often have trouble practicing. Always eat at the table concentrating on what you are eating and not on something else. In other words don't eat in front of the tv or the computer or be reading the paper etc. I do sometimes have a problem with this if I am on my own, ( I tend to be a bit of a multitasker :oops: ) and I have been working hard to overcome it.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:37 pm

i like that you include your son judy- thats great parenting :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:52 pm

kate_turner2000 wrote:i like that you include your son judy- thats great parenting :)

He is a really fussy eater Kate, and it is one way of actually getting food down his throat at dinner time instead of me throttling his around his throat at dinner time. :lol:

Seriously, it is important that kids be involved in learning to run a household, and meal planning is part of that. Being a single parent family, I try to involve the kids in as much as I can with things like meal choices, preparation and general household chores. They need to feel involved when they have had such a traumatic event behind them as mine have had.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby milkyway » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:15 pm

Lots of good thoughts there and ideas - thanks people! I will make an effort once per week, maybe 2-3 hours spent making some healthy foods in advance and preparing veggies and stuff so dinner isn't a chore. Starting today!

I'll give a weekly menu plan a go. I've never done that before. It will save me umming and aahing every day when I try and decide what to eat. I like the idea of one shop per week cos I really hate going to the stoopidmarket. :evil:

Alrighty then... now to write up that shopping list :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:50 pm

hey judy thats great. its hard being a mum sometimes when you are living as a couple but being a single mum must be a challenge too! i agree about involving the kids as much as possible. even though heidi is 14 months old i still tell her she needs to pick her toys up and she 'helps' me by doing it. it doesnt hurt to give them a little responsibility
kate_turner2000

Return to Weight loss Talk