It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:10 pm

Free Newsletter

Need some help....

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Need some help....

Postby Redhead » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:38 pm

I started my weightloss plan about 4 weeks, i was really motivated at first.

My first week i ate really well, all healthy salads for lunch and watched my portion sizes. I also went to the gym 4 times!!

Second week, I started to get slack with my food. I ate really well during the week and then i stayed at my partners house all weekend and I ate what he ate! And he's a skinny runt who can eat anything he likes without putting any weight on. (it's not fair!!!)

So from the third week onwards i started to slacken, made excuses for the gym but i was pretty good with what i ate.

In the whole period, i only lost 1 kilo. But the reason why i started to ge slack on my routine is because i didn't see any results!

I'm only 69 kilos, my goal weight is 58-60.

I need some tips on how to keep motivated! And if anyone else was around the same weight and lost it, can you tell me what you're doing right?!?! I love to know what your eating plan and exercise plans are.

Thanks
Red
Redhead

Postby Chelle » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:30 am

What about get a tape measurer & write down your measurments, you will be able to see what cm's that you have lost it is more effictive that scales because they can't tell the difference between fat, muscle & water loss. Keep an exercise / food diary, make sure that you succeed is what you set out. Don't give up everyone goes off track at one stage of dieting, start again tomorrw, be stong you know that you can do it you just have to get over the hurdel.
Chelle

Re: Need some help....

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:45 am

Redhead wrote:at my partners house all weekend and I ate what he ate! And he's a skinny runt who can eat anything he likes without putting any weight on. (it's not fair!!!)

hey red my fiance is the same. he is 50kg :P

welcome to the group redhead. if you are having trouble keeping motivated pop online to this site. you will find heaps of inspiration to keep u going and knowing that we all understand is a great support when you are having a down time.

as chelle suggested, use a tape measure. you will be pleasantly surprised to see the numbers drop whilst measuring yourself. also you could write down a list of why you want to lose weight and all the things you want to do once you have reached your goal weight- like a shopping spree, or going out in public wearing a singlet top without being embarrassed etc etc.

weightloss isnt an easy thing to do. it will take a good few weeks of change before your body gets used to it all. drink at least 2 litres of water a day to flush all those toxins out and remember to think of it as changing your eating habits and exercising for life.
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:32 am

Sometimes it does take a few weeks to start to see results. I know that, for me, there is a lag of at least three weeks between the time I start making changes and the time I start to see results. Just have faith that you are doing the right thing and that you will see something start to happen soon. If you go back to your old habits, then nothing will happen!

Apart from that, maybe try playing around with your diet and excercise. Don't keep it the same for too long or your body will start to get used to it and will stop responding. Do different excercises and eat different amounts and types of food...
SarahC

Postby KimE » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:57 pm

Staying motivated isn't easy. I kept a 'fat' picture of myself handy and would look at it and think of all the reasons I wanted to lose the weight if I couldn't be bothered to exercise or wanted to return to bad eating habits. As I progressed I started to feel so much healthier and that was a big motivator in itself.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:24 pm

Sometimes it can be a bit disheartening in the first few weeks especially if you are expecting to lose huge amounts really fast. In my first few weeks I lost 2kg then put on 4kg before everything settled itself out.

Also, you can't be expected to retain the gung-ho level of 'motivation' for the whole time. Your motivation will be very strong around the time you make the decision "I'm going to lose weight!!" and for a while you will go out and be really good and exercise twice the amount you initially planned to. But you are psychologically and physiologically unable to maintain that level of psychophysiological arousal (i.e. 'motivation' or 'drive').

The key is to develop HABIT. That way, when it's a cruddy day outside, and you've had a late night and are feeling a bit low you still get out and do your exercise because it's just what you do. And you eat healthily because it's what you're used to eating. The key to achieving this is:

realistic goals - try not to anticipate losing 15 kg per month. It's not likely to happen, and even if it does, it's not likely to be healthy or sustainable. To begin with, you might want to set small goals that you can achieve every day and feel good about, like " I will do some form of exercise every day" or "I will delay eating something I crave for 20 minutes and then ask myself if I really need it"

Small changes - It is easier to make changes for the long term if you do them slowly and use substitution. Increase your exercise and healthy eating gradually so that you can accumulate healthy changes one at a time.

Keep it enjoyable - if you really don't like doing something, how likely is it that you will continue doing it? I can't stand exercising for the sake of it. So I don't. I make exercise part of my travel routine or time with the bloke. Then I don't see it as exercise, it's something I do. I can't tell you what exercise you will like - you might be a gym person, you might love to jog, you might like team sports. Whatever it is, find it and latch on. As far as food, don't force yourself to eat things you don't like. This comes into the point above - try substituting healthy alternatives to the foods you now eat. So you like pizza - make your own with homemade dough or pita bread and vegie toppings with a little cheese. Hamburgers? Easy - chickpea patties or homemade lean beef burgers with salad toppings on a wholemeal roll. Experiment and you will be surprised what healthy things you can add to your existing menus.

I hope some of this helps. I feel like I've had a rant :oops:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby josephcole » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi Red,

Yeh, it’s pretty easy to get excited and hyped up about losing the fat and dropping those kilos… until you realize what’s involved!! ;)

Fortunately, there are lots of things you can do to keep yourself motivated and follow through on your goal of losing around 10kg.

And the fact that you’re taking the healthy route of improving your lifestyle by eating healthy and doing regular exercise is great… it’s easy to get sucked into all those fad diets out there, but you’ll only end up putting the weight back on, and then some!

I liked Butterfly_Dawn awesome suggestions above. You definitely want to be realistic. If you want to lose 10kg, which is a decent amount of weight, then at least give yourself 3-4 months to do this... if you try to lose the weight too fast and chances are you’ll be sacrificing muscle tissue which will only make it hard as hell to maintain your new weight.

As for her recommendation of small changes, that’s a good idea too. It’s impossible to go from a kebab-eating, beer-drinking, and generally unhealthy lifestyle, to a healthy and active lifestyle overnight. As Butterfly_Dawn suggests, have fun and enjoy yourself so that it all becomes a challenge…

I remember back when I was a fat kid at school (hah, I wonder if anyone can resonate with that!) I started out with really light jogging and kept challenging myself as my weight dropped and my fitness improved until I developed a passion for sprinting and interval training, as well as weight lifting.

So just enjoy yourself and set small targets and goals to push yourself constantly. Sure, you want to keep your end goal in mind, but if you want to be motivated every day you’ll need short-term goals too. Another idea is to find a family member or friend to join you in your success journey… that way, when one you feels lazy or not so motivated, the other way will always be there to pick you and motivate you.

Really hope that helps mate!

Warmest,

Joseph Cole

P.S. The key point here is simply this... don't focus on the effort you have to put into exercising or sacrificing your favorite foods. Instead focus on the result of your efforts, how you will benefit from it... how will you look, how will you feel, what will others say? As you make a habit of focusing on these things and you see yourself getting closer and closer to your goals every day your motivation will skyrocket!! 8)
josephcole

Postby Dee » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Wow there's come great advice there - specially;

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:"I will delay eating something I crave for 20 minutes and then ask myself if I really need it"

I'm having the same trouble at the moment, hopefully this time next week we'll both be back on track.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby josephcole » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:46 am

Dee wrote:Wow there's come great advice there - specially;

Butterfly_Dawn wrote:"I will delay eating something I crave for 20 minutes and then ask myself if I really need it"

I'm having the same trouble at the moment, hopefully this time next week we'll both be back on track.

Something that works for a lot of people who are craving something is to drink a glass of water. Studies show that often we think we're hungry, when we're actually just dehydrated and need water, but we don't realize it!

Another tactic is to eat something high in fiber, such as an apple or pear (the latter is higher in fiber). This is because the fiber will fill you up and help balance your blood sugar levels, being a low GI food. In fact, a great way to avoid overeating at meals is to have a high-fiber fruit a little while before so that you're not so hungry when it comes to eating your meal!

Joseph Cole
josephcole

im in the same boat as you

Postby Carol » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:21 am

Dont worry Red, im in the same position as you. I start motivated to lose weight and excerise at least three times a day and then i expect to see results straight away, and when i dont, i start getting sad, slacking off and eating whatever i want with the attitude 'whats the point anyway'

But i am starting to realise, that losing weight is a process and with everything, your body needs to adjust with the amount of food intake and the exercise too which will take some time.

Im hoping to lose 5 kgs, so wish me luck. Also good luck with reaching your goal weight. Just be possitive and surround yourself with positive people. As long as your good 80% of the time, you can treat yourself every now and then. :)
Carol

Postby dancer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:22 pm

Dee wrote:Wow there's come great advice there - specially;

Great advice except maybe you should ask, "Do I really FEEL like it, instead of do I really NEED it."

Sometimes your answer might be yes I do still feel like it after the 20 minutes and that's okay, and sometimes it might that I don't feel like it. The main thing is that you've stepped back and taken the time to really analyse how and why you are craving a certain thing.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Return to Weight loss Talk