It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 am

Free Newsletter

How worong is that???

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How worong is that???

Postby Vegetable » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:51 pm

Hey everyone :)
I just had to jump back online to tell you what just happened here. Now, I was sitting with my sister's boyfriend James, and a show about anorexia came on. He said "Oh look at her, poor thing she looks terrible. She must be in so much pain, she's so unwell, dont you just feel terrible for her?" Well, yes, I do. BUT, My point is that he is the very same person who sat next to me during the first episode of BL and commented on how" disgusting it is that anyone could let themselves get that big, he should just get off his fat arse and walk to the fridge, and what a lazy pig" (talking about Damien) How wrong is it that one is looked on with sympathy, as a disorder, an ilness, and the other is just that we are fat, lazy, disgusting?????? *sigh* He is thin as a twig btw...... bloody unbelievable
Vegetable

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:58 pm

how frustrating- i wouldve said something to him. i think there is more support and help out there for people at the other end of the scale
kate_turner2000

Postby slimmindown » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:04 pm

It certainly is looked at differently isnt it, i would of had to say something :?
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Dee » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:40 pm

That re minds me of my dh telling me that he is absolutely disgusted when people get addicted to drugs, cigarettes, alcohol, etc. and can't break the addiction. He commented that addiction in any form is weak. He seemed somewhat startled when I replied that I am fighting an addiction of my own in this battle with food.
It just goes to show how few people really understand the fight that overweight people struggle with every day.

Dee
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:39 am

It's true, the battle that overweight people face. Most people don't see it that way. They just say 'omg, that's disgusting, it's all within their control, why did they let themselves get that way etc etc'.
aramat1980

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:19 am

It's funny how people have little ideas and opinions about groups of people that they use to generalise. All fat people are lazy. All drug addicts are weak. All women are bad drivers. All men are chauvinistic pigs. All young people are disrespectful. All holden drivers are bogans. And studies show that when you challenge them with an exception, the usual response is "but you're not like that, you're different, an exception" :?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby aramat1980 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:24 am

lol, you got that bit about the holden drivers in there! hehehehe
aramat1980

Postby Ally » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:10 pm

yes it is a sad world we live in!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby slimmindown » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:15 pm

it certainly is very easy to generalise in our world. I agree with you totally butterfly dawn.

It is always easier to put someone in a box and put them down than to try and understand why they are the way they are. Afterall all the people making those judgements are perfect dont forget :wink:
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Dee » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:01 pm

When we were kids we were told to hold our noses whenever we drove past the Ford factory hehehe. My grandpa worked for Holden at the time - so of course we were huge Holden fans... My first date with my hubby was to his sister's 18th - an 80's bogan party (complete with fashion parade) lol I guess it's official...

The other generalisation that DRIVES ME NUTS (Move over Kate, I'm back in the Kranky Korner) is "All Muslims are terrorists." Even when you point out that this is completely inaccurate the response is often - "Well, most of them hate westerners, even if there are a few who don't." Where does this crap come from?
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:54 pm

people who are misinformed. thats where it comes from dee. its sad really. before heidi was born my sister bought the 'baby' a golliwog (but you arent allowed to call them that now) you have to call them 'scalliwags' - how stupid! and my mum recently bought heidi a black doll called michael form the little people range. :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:22 pm

I have to agree with many of the comments made on this thread so far. I am one of those people who hate generalisations, as I beleive that we are all individuals, and no-one should be compared to anyone else. My (soon to be ex) husband made a generalisation about "all women can cut hair", not long after we moved in together. I said OK and promptly gave him a haircut that he has never forgotten (it was very artistic), he certainly learnt his lesson, and never made generalisations when speaking to or about me ever again. Sometimes things need to be thrown back in a different light so that people learn not to speak out of turn.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby dietcoke » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:14 pm

The sad fact is that both ways (over eating or not eating at all) are about control...or lack there of. Whether you can't control how much you eat or how little makes no difference and no one has any right to judge either way.

I don't understand how people think it's that simple. They say "if you get off your arse and go for a walk you'll lose weight" or "why don't you try eating less"...ah...duhhh. Seriously it's not like we'd never thought of it before but the worse you feel about yourself the less control you have over your food intake - and the less control you have the worse you feel about yourself.

Anyone who learns how to gain control of any addiction is awesome in my book and deserves a medal i say...not a "about time...!"
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:00 am

LOL @ JUDY nice work sister girlfriend!
kate_turner2000

Postby Leishkin » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:23 pm

ugh, it drives me nuts too - I can sit in a room watching something that'll have an overweight person in it, and a friend will say something crap about their weight, and I just sit there and think 'can you not see me?! I'M heavier than that person!!'

sometimes people are stupid, and they see what they want to see, even if it makes no sense at all. It also drives me NUTS when people say 'all they have to do is exercise and eat right' blah blah blah - I ask you, skinny person who has probably been skinny your whole friggen life - how well do YOU eat!? I have plenty of thin friends who eat nothing but junk, it's not just about what you eat and what you do, it's about how your body works! I've been overweight since I was very young, I remember my mum having to make/alter my school dresses because they didn't come in my size, and I don't think that had anything to do with what my parents fed me - we were vegetarian for a long time, my parents were very into organic and natural foods, I played sports, and still I would gain while my friends stayed the same!!

people suck. (and so do generalisations. haaaa)
Leishkin

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk