It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:41 am

Free Newsletter

Personal Trainer

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Personal Trainer

Postby Tas » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 pm

Well I went along for my hour session with a personal trainer and I am pleased I did - I have strained my shoulder on the multi gym by doing an exercise that I shouldn't be doing. I have a course of tummy strengthening pilates to do as well as continue with my ski/walker thing.

I had a machine taped to me and I have too much body fat (like I didn't know that!!). I do not take in enough water - so I am slightly dehydrated - but I do have a problem with water, the first problem is I dislike it and have to force even a glass down most of the time and secondly when I have had a few glasses of water I end up going to the bathroom all night.

My fat has settled in my abdomen (I knew that too) my butt is too flat and have no muscle content - my calves are the hardest he has ever felt :lol:

So the good news is he said he will fix me up - that I can't wait to see :roll:

I will go back and have some lessons with him over the next few weeks as I really do need some help with the exercises and once he is confident that I have mastered the technique I can just go and see him now and then.

The funniest part of the session today was that I fell off the ball (three times!!). I had no sense of balance at all - it was quite funny...

Oh and i have a hollow in the small of my back that needs working on - geez I came outa there feeling like an old crock! :shock:

But I am pleased I made the decision and one that I am certainly going to follow through on...time will tell if it will work for me I guess. But I am positive about it and one way or another I will lose this extra weight.

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Dolly » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:14 pm

Sounds like you made the right choice going to the gym. Too many of us have tight calf muscles because the only real exercise we do is with our legs (walking, elliptical trainers, treadmill, exercise bike) not many of us venture out to use all the muscles of our body equally.

To drink your water, find a 2 litre water bottle and add a little diet cordial to the water (until you get used to it) to prevent yourself getting up all hours of the night don't drink after 5pm.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby melcandoit » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:05 am

HI Tas,
When you go out like shopping or a walk, try taking a bottle of water and have a drink when you feel your mouth getting dry.
Maybe when you get back home you would have drank the hole bottle.
I drink up to 4L a day, cause that is all I drink, and it is the best thing you can do for yourself.
I know when I have had alot of water is when my water is clear when I go to the ladies. :wink:
I think Tas you are doing so well, you have a strong mind and a lot of hart.
SEE YA
Melissa
melcandoit

Postby Tas » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:58 am

Hi Dolly and Melissa

Thanks for the tips on the water aspect - I have done/and will do as you have suggested and will sip away at water with some light cordial in it wherever I am.

The guy I went to see yesterday was really good - I wont be going to a gym as such but will continue to see him every week for the next few weeks. I will continue to see him every month from there on as I do not want to get myself in to this situation again. At least then I can maintain the weight when I lose these extra kilo's. He has given me exercises to do at home and will keep in touch with me to see how I am going.

I guess with having crohns and so many flare ups it was inevitable to gain the extra weight but now that it is managed (on pills) I now feel confident in doing something about it.

Thanks again

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Fairie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:50 am

Hi Tas,

Once I loose a bit more I was thinking of going back to the gym a couple of days a week and I know a full membership includes a trainer. If you don't mind me asking what does it cost to see a personal trainer if you don't have a membership? :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Tas » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Hi Fairie

The personal trainer I am using cost $65.00 an hour - which seems a lot but once he sets you up with sessions to do at home, like this one has with me - you don't need to go back or in my case I decided that I will go back and see him weekly for 3 weeks then monthly there after. The reason I have chosen to see him this frequently is that I have never really been involved with gym/exercise equipment before and he can advise me as necessary.

Also I did hurt my shoulder on the multi gym last week and that was because I over did it a bit - he will keep me on the right sessions to lose the midriff bulge(s) :-)

Oh he also picked up that my calf muscle are very tight as is my achilles tendon, so he has given me a few sessions to do to assist with this also. Had I not met with him I could have been doing more damage to my body and after all the hard work I figured it was wise..

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Fairie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:21 pm

Thanks Tas,

I have to think about whether I need a full membership or just have a session with a PT for advice on excersising.

I have so much trouble with my knees and ankles and they may be able to show me different ways of doing things so there is less pain. :D
-Fay-

[/url]
Fairie

Postby Tas » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:09 pm

That's exactly right Fairie - I believe a membership is a lot money per year - and what I figured it was that I am not likely to go every week/3 times a week. It was better for me to pay as I need. Also Roger and I travel considerably with our business, which is why I chose to purchase some equipment as I am more likely to use it than having to get up early, go to the gym then come back home...it 's more convenient for me this way.

I also think in my situation it is cheaper too - I would probably never end up using a full membership for a gym.

This guy I go to is wonderful and I just told him what my goal is, what I have been doing up to now and what problems I am experiencing with my exercises. He has set out some movements to assist with my calf muscles which were causing me considerable discomfort.

My personal trainer was more than happy to give me a couple of hours session last week just to guide me - but not being an exercise person till now it was too much for me to take in one go - I would give a personal trainer a call and see what he suggests - even lay it on the line and tell him/her this is how many $$ I have spare - what can you do for me for that amount. Just make it cheaper than a gym membership :D

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Fairie » Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:47 pm

You are right Tas and as we have our own business too the $$$ come into it as well. I love walking but where we live it is so hilly and the ground is uneven. After having a fall when the grass was wet a few years ago and re-damaging my already damaged knees I am paraniod about walking on any wet or un-even ground.

I use my airofit walker and have just bought some Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's on EBay but I would still like some advice on other ways to excersise without going to the gym because I know I have to increase the intensity of excersise to keep loosing. :D
-Fay-

[/url]
Fairie

Postby Tas » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:44 pm

I have read some where that you are supposed to maintain a percentage of maximum heart rate for 15-20 minutes - on the 6th October when I started this journey of weight loss - I could not maintain that 15- 20 minute maximum hear rate. There was no way I could do that - but 4 weeks later and I can.

I believe that the estimated maximum heart rate is calculated like this: 220 minus your age. I am 48 so my maximum heart rate is 172 but for weight management it is estimated that you aim to use 60 - 69% of your maximum heart rate - so I try and stay in the zone of 103 to 119. Only professional athletes should go to their maximum heart rate.

This is how I understand it:

Zone 1 - Healthy heart 50 - 59% - max heart rate
Zone 2 - Weight management 30-69% - max heart rate
Zone 3 - Aerobic - 70 - 79%- max heart rate
Zone 4 - Anaerobic 80-89%- max heart rate
Zone 5 - Professional - max heart rate

I have a damaged foot too - a very large german shepherd dog stood on my bare foot on the wet sand and damaged the joint so badly it could not be repaired but had to be removed (not the foot, the joint). It gives me tremdeous hassles - I know what you are feeling.

The theory above is what I am going by with my walker/ski thing - as well as the exercise bike. What I did was to set myself up so that I did 5 minutes (for example) and 2 minutes in to a steady, even pace I would give it a burst of 20-30 seconds of high speed then settle down to a steady pace till the 5 minutes were up. I repeated that for a week. Now, I set myself up for twenty minutes but give it a steady increase for at least 10 minutes and steady it up for the rest.

But try and start the session slowly and very slightly increase the intensity - by all accounts providing you are able to talk while you are exercising then you are within your limits but if talking is not possible then you have over done it.

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Return to Weight loss Talk