It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Is anyone else worried about reaching their goal weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Is anyone else worried about reaching their goal weight?

Postby vanessa0305 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:17 pm

I have been very good with my diet and exercise and have been loosing consistently since September last year. But all of a sudden I have been hit by a worrying thought. I know how to lose weight, I know what I have to do to get it off. But how on earth do I keep it off once I get to my goal weight? I am really worried the closer I get to it that I am going to turn around and put it all back on again.......am I the only one who worries about this??
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Justjudy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:24 pm

Of course you are not the only one to worry about this Vanessa. It is a very scary thing to have to deal with, and for many people it is trial and error. If you have followed your eating plan (whatever you are following) and you have changed your eating habits to make healthy choices you have half the battle won. If you gain a little you have the skills to deal with it from the part of your journey that you have already travelled.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:29 pm

hi vanessa yes its a scary thought isnt it!! thats part of the reason why i havent become a
maintenance member' yet because i am still learning and i dont think im too good of a role model whilst maintaining my weight. as judy said its all trial and error- much like losing weight and at least if you notice you are slipping off the wagon and putting the weight back on or old habits sneaking back in you have the skills to do something about it
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:39 pm

Yes, Vanessa it is a scary thing. Even now it freaks me out when hearing of people who lost the same or more than I have and then put it back on sometimes even years later.

I think a big thing is once at your goal it is easy to think you can now eat what you like. The problem of course is we all got overweight because we overate. So I guess you can eat what you like but you still need to make sure it is balanced out by the amount of activity you do. So to lose weight, energy in must be less than energy out. On maintenance it becomes energy in equals energy out. As soon as you eat more than you need you will start to put on weight, so the big trial and error part is finding out how much you need to eat. I increased my food slowly as I didn't want to decrease my activity levels and since that combination was making me lose weight I needed to increase my food. Over a few weeks I slowly upped the amount of calories until I seemed to be holding where I wanted to be. Now my metabolism works in such a way that a few extra 'sometimes' food doesn't affect me much. However I still try to eat fairly clean during the week with some relaxation at the weekend.

I am so against the idea of ever putting this weight on again I can't even begin to explain. I am hoping I never lose that desire as that is what will keep me at my goal of staying under 60kgs. I have the tools and so far so good but it is a drop in the ocean.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi Vanessa. I agree it is a very big worry. I've been there and done that quite a few times in the past. For whatever reason, I just start to pig out as I become lighter :? This time, I have somehow managed to keep my weight low for about four months, and I really have no idea how I managed it. I think being on this forum has been a big part of it though.

My run of luck has run out though as my weight has not bounced back after my most recent pig out session... hence the new ticker :( But now at least the "alarm bells" start ringing a lot earlier than they used to and I can halt the massive slide before it gets too far!

It is a lot of trial and error though. I still don't have it figured out :(
SarahC

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:42 pm

I'm beginning to think that perhaps the reason why I have been plateaued for so long is because of this - I'm just scared that if I reach goal I won't know what to do and everything will come crashing to a big FAT halt.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Julz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi Vanessa,

I'm no where near my goal weight and I'm worried. Albeit worried for different reasons though. I'm scared that I have let myself get so big that even when I do lose weight I will look awful from all the stretched skin, I have visions of me looking like a sharpei dog. Then I think I'd have to get a tummy tuck, body lift, boob job etc....
Julz

Postby Mandie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:52 pm

Julz - as long as you combine exercise (cardio and resistance/toning) with a sensible diet and lose the weight relatively slowly, you should be fine :D
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:56 pm

hey julz i have the loose skin from my baby belly and the stretch marks. even though they have faded they have left big canals/crevices in my skin. *Sigh* maybe im just not working hard enough to get rid of this flubber!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:58 pm

oh I forgot to mention that the stretch marks never really go away.. :cry:

kate - you are working really hard, don't you worry about that! It takes time for the skin to get over the trauma.. I think in a few more months, even a year you will notice a bigger difference as you tone up more wiht all the exercise you are doing... unfortuntaely it just takes loads of time for the skin to tighten up!
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:02 pm

LOL damn skin! wish i had a body like bec cartwrights that didnt have one stretch mark and went back to normal after having the baby haha. there was this lady taking her son for swimming lessons the other week and she was heavily pregnant and she wore a bikini and had one of those perfect pregnancy magazine bodys. not fair :(
kate_turner2000

Postby catclawz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:24 am

I have to admit that i worry about the loose skin too once i have lost weight, i carry most of my weight abdominally (your classic apple shape) and have a hanging stomach.. i can't see how that can return to normal :?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKGbOOn/]
[/url]
catclawz

Postby Donk » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:16 am

Yes, this is on my mind at the moment, I have thought, actually even though this is my goal how do I know when my body is going to stop losing the weight? I know there will be a point that I reach, where it will settle.

What I have thought though is that if I keep up my healthy eating and exercise then there is nothing to worry about, just do what I am doing now and I should be fine.
Donk

Return to Weight loss Talk