It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Free Newsletter

Acupuncture for weight loss?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Acupuncture for weight loss?

Postby jimbo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:39 pm

Hey guys, first time caller... I'm Jimbo and I need to lose 25lbs so I can return to my uber sexy *cough* male model days :D

Ok so I heard today at work that some girl is getting acupuncture for her weight. Is it true it can help you drop a few pounds? Sounds pretty absurd to me. Oh well, anyone know anything about it?

Postby Dee » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:44 pm

I really don't know anything about accupuncture as a weightloss tool. It might be worth a try, but I'd probably want to research it a bit more first. Generally speaking, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Postby KimE » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:47 pm

I haven't heard anything about it either but these days there are so many weight loss tools you just never know.

Let us know how it goes if you try it.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:04 pm

I don't think it would be very effective because weight loss comes down to the amount of energy you consume to the amount of energy you exert.

Acupuncture is more of a stimuli to help relieve stress, soreness of muscles, head aches and pains and so on. I don't think it can help burn fat.

Sorry dude but you’re going to have to do it the hard way if you want to lose the weight for good. Watch what you eat and exercise. There is no easy way to lose weight. If there was there wouldn't be so many overweight people in the world.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:19 pm

gday jimbo- i havent heard about acupuncture helping weightloss sorry!! but welcome

Postby Chelle » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:06 pm

Acupunture can do amazing things, but I don't know anyone that have used it for weightloss but on other problems & it has worked for them. mabe inquire about it to see if it is right for you

Postby milkyway » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:05 pm

I've heard of acupuncture treating cravings, so that might help in an indirect way by keeping the high fat, sugar laden foods at bay. I think the acu point is in the ear.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby josephcole » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:01 am

Hey Jimbo,

Does sound pretty absurd, doesn’t it?

A study conducted in 2002 showed that 8.2 million adults in the United States had tried acupuncture, and acupuncture weight loss treatments are actually pretty popular in the US nowadays.

The theory goes that overweight people have imbalanced digestive systems, and that acupuncture weight loss treatment can help you lose weight by strengthening your digestive system and helping you control your appetite. In fact, some theories even suggest that acupuncture speeds up your metabolism causing you to burn calories at a faster rate.

However, acupuncture treatments alone are not enough to result in weight loss in a short time-frame. Many patients undergoing an acupuncture weight loss program only report significant results after about a year, and when you consider your first visit would cost $50-$125 with additional treatments ranging anywhere from $30-$80, just 2 treatments a week for 1 year would set you back anywhere from $4,000 to $8,000.

Doesn’t sound too appealing now, does it?

Most modern acupuncturists, however, do give you basic advice on diet and nutrition and offer you an individualized supplement program which includes vitamins, minerals and herbal antioxidants that will support your diet and balance your blood sugar levels so your body has the optimum nutrition to support a healthy diet and lifestyle.

At the end of the day, acupuncture can help, but don’t expect to lose much fat with acupuncture alone. Improving your diet so you’re eating less junk and more healthy foods, and increasing your physical activity with regular fat-burning aerobic exercise and strength training, are what’s going to strip that fat off your body.

If you do decide to give acupuncture a go, choose a practitioner who is certified by the National Certification Commission For Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) to avoid a “cowboy” poking needles in your body! ;)

Hope that helps.

Good luck,

Joseph Cole

Postby Sassygirl » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:22 pm

Ok this is one of the diets that I did manage to do. I went to a Doctor who dealt specifically in accupuncture for weight loss. You get two small needles inserted in and around your ear. They are supposedly put on your hunger pressure points and when you felt the need to eat you just had to rub these. The needles are put in for a week at a time - during which you could only eat protien (meat, fish etc) with no flavourings at all. You were also allowed to eat 2 eggs a day. I found that I did lose around 3.6 kilos a week. In the week that you don't have the needles in - you eat a balanced diet with the exception of bread, potatoes, pasta and rice (these are introduced at a later date). The reasoning behind it is that you try to maintain the weight you lose in the first week. I ended up losing around 11 kilos in 9 weeks - but it can get extremely boring in the protien week believe me. I found that this diet did strip the weight off of me quickly - but it is not one diet that I would highly recommend.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Postby zoeh » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:11 am

diet of just protein? oh my god that would be terrible

i went on a diet that was high in protein and i got so so so so incredibly sick and my body produced all this acidic stuff and i still struggle to eat protein from it

chinese medicine and acupuncture does work though

i saw a chinese medicine practitioner for my skin once, she gave me this tea to drink three times a day and my skin cleared up more than ever before in about a week and i lost a few kilos

acupunture i think works on the same principles, yin and yang, body heat etc

i couldnt continue it because of the cost

Return to Weight loss Talk