It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:49 am

Free Newsletter

Irrational Thinking

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Irrational Thinking

Postby Nathan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:23 am

Hey Folks,

Before I began to loose weight I never acknowledged that I was clincally obese, I always saw myself in my head as just being a little bit too heavy. Though I would of course see picutres of me and be disgusted.

Now I have lost 19.8 kg (with 17.1 to go) I still see the man who weighs 108.9 kg. I don't see a difference, others do and comment, I can see it in my clothes - nothing fits me and I see it on the scale but I look at myself and just cannot get my brain to make sense of it all. And that translates into thinking I will NEVER get there, that is, my goal weight. Despite the fact that one of the reasons I never tried in the past was that I believed than I'd always be huge and NEVER loose weight, yet my scales tell me I've lost 19.8.

That kind of thinking makes it hard to stay motivated which is where I'm at at the moment.

I'm struggling to get to a major breakthrough which is to have my BMI puppy read 30 (87 kg, a further loss of 2.1 kg) so that I can at least be 'overweight' and not 'obese'. I just don't think I'll ever make it. Let alone get to my minimum goal wt of 72 (actually want to be 68kg).

However, that all being said and done even at present 89.1 its been almost 14 years since I weighed that much (little :) )

Nathan
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wI43W6x/]
[/url]
Nathan

Postby Ally » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:22 am

Firstly Nathan, welcome to the forum! Congratulations on your loss, it is a fantastic effort!

A lot of what you are saying rings true in a lot of people, however when you say things like....."And that translates into thinking I will NEVER get there, that is, my goal weight. and "I just don't think I'll ever make it. Let alone get to my minimum goal wt of 72 (actually want to be 68kg). .....You are setting yourself for failure. being negative is not going to help the situation, so you need to be kind to your self and say "I AM going to get there, I WILL make it..." have confidence in your ability, re-assess your goals, wear a piece of clothing that you had when you first started your weight journey.....look in the mirror....is it really fitting the same 19.8kg later?? If you have a photo of yourself before you started pull it out, get someone to take a recent shot and sit and compare the 2...do you look the same?? These are little things that can have a BIG impact on the way you see yourself....Sometimes it is hard to see the changes in yourself, but to have lost almost 20kg, there IS big changes in you.....Believe in yourself, don't talk yourself down, be proud of how far you have come...but most important, keep going!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:54 am

HI nathan well done on how far you have come. What i have come to learn through this whole weightloss process is you need to get to a stage where YOU are happy with where you are and your achievements. you need to feel comfortable in your own skin and there needs to be a time where you say 'enough is enough'. sometimes its hard to praise ourselves for our achievements. im still not convinced ive lost weight! but it takes time and understanding of your own body. we are all different.
kate_turner2000

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:02 am

Hey Nathan.

Firstly I want to say congratulations on your weight loss to date. You have done a fantastic job mate and you should be very very proud of all your achievements.

Weight loss is 90% of what goes on in your head. All this negative self talk is self destructive and detrimental to achieving your goals. Every time you catch yourself saying something negative stop that and switch it to something positive. For instance - "I have lost 19 kgs, I know I can do it, I will reach my goal and I'm not going to let self defeating statements tear me down and ruin all the hard work I have done".

Ally has given you some fantastic tips for you to come to the realisation that the body you see reflected in the mirror is not you. It's who you once were. Embrace the inner thin you by positive self talk and visualisation to help you see the real you.

All the best, you know you can do it. And when you start lagging think back to why you did this in the first place- do you want to go back there? If not you'll continue on your road to success.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Chelle » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:26 pm

Welcome, congrats on the weight loss so far, hopefully you can kick the diabeties away for good, when you get to your goal weight. everyone has already said what I was thinking, so keep lossing thoses kilo's, you know that you can do it just have to belive in your self.
Chelle

Postby Jisgone » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:33 pm

youve done so well so far nathan :) even after 32kgs i dont see much of a difference unless i look at photos, i guess cause the weightloss is slow u just get used to your body changing and dont notice the differences. your on the second half of your journey with the end in sight, so keep at it and be confident knowing u have come so far and your body must be loving how healthy u are now :)
Jisgone

Postby KimE » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:20 am

You are doing really well Nathan but to get to where you really want to be you have to stick with it and keep going. Get focused and don't take no for an answer, not even from yourself!

I completely know where you're coming from after losing 27kgs I found it hard to really see my achievement. I found that overall my body shape didn't seem to have changed that much yet the clothes I started with literally fall off me. Even after I went on maintenance it took me about 3 months to really go 'hey, I look good and I am slim'. Now, finally, I am thrilled with where I am. You will get there too just don't give up.

Progress pics are a great idea so you can see. I didn't take enough of them on the journey but even I can see the difference between before and after for myself.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby dancer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:45 am

Firstly Congratulations Nathan on an amazing achievement.

Secondly, all you need is within you now. All the strength is inside you. You have already obviously tapped into it in order to lose the first 20kg, you just need to learn how to tap into that on a regular basis.

This might sound wanky, but I'm going through a lot of what you're saying and I've been there done that.

I don't like myself and it really sounds like you just don't like/love yourself enough. This is something you really need to get a hold of because even if you lose the weight (and you've already lost so much) you'll never look in the mirror and see the wonderful and amazing person that you are.

You can do all the hard work like you obviously are on the outside, but you really need to work on the inside too. The inside is the key to your future happiness.

Stand in front of the mirror and say to yourself, "I am wonderfully and beautifully made". "I am an amazing person." "I am a strong and healthy person." "I am lovable." "I am handsome."

Give it a try and maybe you could talk to your Doc about a referral to a psychologist or something. They can really help.

Enjoy the rest of your weight loss journey. You'll be at goal weight in no time. Just do it!
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Thanks all

Postby Nathan » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:09 pm

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your supportive and understanding replies. I hear what you are all saying about postive self talk etc. And I know it. That's why I know the thinking is irrational. However, it has been a relatively bad week after coming back from a month of being away from my usual routine to discover I'd put on 1.2 kg. So I kind of went into a spin.

However, I've been at the gym all this week, and a part from one night when I was out with friends and ate junk food, the rest of the time has been relatively decent meals. I just hope the scales agree tomorow when I go to check the progress.

In a bid also to get myself back on track I've made an appointment with the PT at the gym to review my current routine which has also gone a little south of the border.

I've been reading some latest research on exercise on blood sugar control in Type II Diabetes and have got some wonderful information that the PT can use to help me get a better routine not only for my weight loss but also my bloos sugar control which has also been a little how you going over the last month.

If anyone does have T2 Diabetes and would be interested in some key points that I found out I'd be happy to post them. I am an RN by the way, so its not just guff from the net, its ridgy dig research.

Thanks

Nathan
[/url]
Nathan

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:49 pm

HI NATHAN

sorry to hear you had a gain im sure once you have your workout sorted out it will all sort itself out again for you :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi Nathan,
I can relate to what you're saying because you just explained how I feel also. I KNOW that I've lost 30kg and I KNOW my clothes are smaller, but my eyes don't say so. To me, I look exactly the same. This is why I rely on my scales, clothes and trusted friends to track my progress, not my eyes because I KNOW what they are telling me is wrong. I'm not entirely sure if my (or your) case would be 'diagnosable' but there is a recognised disorder called body dysmorphic disorder where you perceive your body as not being what it is - It's usually associated with anorexia.

As far as motivation, I guess I'm not really doing this to look good (although that is a bonus). I'm doing it to be healthy, so I can walk up hills without chucking tantrums fit for a toddler and so my ankles and knees don't kill me at the end of the day.

Not sure if that helps, but at least you know you're not the only one.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Mandie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:33 pm

Nathan - my mum has type 2 diabetes too, and personally I am curious because I'm a med student - can you please post the info?

It's something I'm "paranoid" of getting - I felt I was drinking a lot and feeling more tired in recent weeks so I got tested, but I'm normal.. thank goodness! It's definitely a big motivator in me losing weight, especially as i have a family history of the condition.
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 pm

hey tegan i saw that BDD on Oprah. all these people that cant leave the house because of the way they feel about their appearance or people having heaps of surgery. its very sad and i think theres a little bit of it in all of us in that its hard to get to a point where you feel totally happy with who you are on the outside as well as inside.
kate_turner2000

Exercise and Glycaemic Control in Type II Diabetes

Postby Nathan » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Hey Mandie,

I hear what you are saying. I was non symptomatic, but was tested when I learned, after the fact, that my sister has been admitted with a ketotic coma. Paranoia paid off, as I was caught early and can now try and slow down progression of complications.

Hope this is of some interest / help. I hope you are not going to ask me where I got these, I'll have to search for them if you do.

Nathan.

PS following this advice below I managed to drop my A1c from 7.9 to 6.1 (for those not savy, HbA1c is a measurement of a 3 month average build up of Glucose on the blood cells, a normal A1c would be < 6).

A summary of the key principles regarding exercise and glycemic control in people with Diabetes: a review of recent research

• Structured exercise programs have a statistically and clinically beneficial effect on glycemic control

• Exercise training reduces HbA1c by an amount that should decrease the risk of diabetic complications

• The effect of a single bout of aerobic exercise on insulin activity lasts 24 - 72 hrs depending on exercise intensity and duration

• There should be no more than 2 consecutive days without physical activity

• The effect of resistance activity may last somewhat longer

• Exercise intensity rather than duration produces beneficial effects on glycemic control

• To improve glycemic control there should be at least 150 mins / week of moderate intensity of aerobic exercise i.e. working at 50 - 70 % of your maximum heart rate [220 - age]

• And / or at least 90 min / week of vigorous intensity of aerobic exercise i.e. working at > 70% maximum heart rate

• This should be distributed over at least 3 days / week with no more than 2 consecutive days without exercise

• To also achieve long term maintenance of major weight loss (>13.6 kg) 7 hours p/week of moderate (50-70% MHR) or vigorous (>70% MHR) of physical activity is needed

• To achieve long term weight loss the level of physical activity per week should amount to an energy expenditure of 2500 kcal p/week

• Resistance exercise should target all muscle groups 3 times week progressing to 3 sets of 8-10 repetitions of a weight that cannot be lifted more than 8-10 times

• A structured exercise program should include both aerobic and resistance exercise
[/url]
Nathan

Postby Mandie » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks Nathan, that's really helpful information.

Nah, you don't have to worry about finding the sources, I trust you! :D
Mandie

Return to Weight loss Talk