It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:55 pm

Free Newsletter

Optislim

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Optislim

Postby CMS » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm thinking of going on the optislim diet, which is these milkshakes soups and desserts you live on, and you buy them from a chemist.

There are also pills you get by optislim that's meant to suppress your appetite.

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it and which would be better, the pills or diet?

I've read of people getting bad headaches from just using the milkshakes.
Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply ~ Bruce Lee
CMS

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:52 pm

the headaches are caused from caffiene and sugar withdrawels as well as your body going into ketosis. sometimes they dont last as long for some people as they do for others
kate_turner2000

Postby CMS » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:25 pm

Is it healthy to do? Like when you start eating more solid food would you just put the weight back on?
Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply ~ Bruce Lee
CMS

Postby Ally » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:28 am

That would be my concern CMS...that as soon as you start to eat solid food the weight would just come back on.....it sounds like a quick fix diet.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:12 am

Don't know anything about it but it most likely works if you stick to it like most of them do. If you are not having any solid food at all then yeah putting the weight back on after would be a concern for me too. Also does it have a maintenance plan.

There are a number of these types such as Tony Ferguson that you may want to look into too. I know Tony Ferguson does have a maintenance plan so that means you will still have help after losing the weight you want.

Whatever you choose, let us know how it goes.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 am

KIM IS RIGHT, IF YOU STICK TO IT 100% YOU WILL SEE THE RESULTS. ALSO WITH THOSE TYPES OF PLANS THERE IS A MAINTENANCE PART WHERE YOU GRADUALLY START TO INCLUDE CERTAIN FOODS BACK INTO YOUR DIET AS YOU WEAN OFF THE SHAKES/SOUPS. YOU WILL ONLY PUT THE WEIGHT BACK ON IF YOU ALLOW IT TO HAPPEN- LIKE AN WEIGHTLOSS
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:53 am

My friend tried opitslim, found that she lost the kilo's but found that she was constantly hungry, & sure enough she stopped it & piled the weight back on
Chelle

Postby dancer » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:54 am

CMS, I hate to be a party pooper, but I really believe these quick fix diets are just that. Quick and don't really fix the problem at all.

These shake diets, (and I've done them before) are not a realistic way of eating. They are just not normal and they lead to the deprivation driving you mad and then you binge as a result.

If you want to achieve life long healthy weight you need to slowly and surely address the issues of why you overeat and slowly cut down on things.

If you take everything away and restrict yourself so much I think you're destined to fail. Then the feelings of failure lead to feelings of sadness which quite often lead to overeating.

Please try a more healthy and normal way of healthy eating.

I believe that diets don't work.

Check out this website: http://www.ifnotdieting.com.au

Dr. Rick KAUSMAN has written a book too "If Not Dieting Then What".

It's well worth a read.

Good Luck and sorry if I've gone on too much.

If you do decide to do it, (Because I know they are tempting) then I hope you do well.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Postby talia11 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:40 pm

Personally I find the shake diets ok - I am a distributor for Admin Censored which works on the same premise as Optislim (2 shakes a day to replace to meal + herbal tablets), I found though that Optislim does nto have anywhere near as much nutrients and vitamins as Admin Censored, but obviously Admin Censored is more expensive.
I did Admin Censored before I got married and lost alot of weight, but I found that I prefered to eat - I felt like I was missing out not eating.
And once you have lost the weight you just replace one meal for maintenance.
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby zoeh » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:15 am

i used Admin Censored and i hated it

i just wanted to eat some normal food, salads or anything

i basically felt that i had failed so much that i am not not even allowed to experience the tastes and textures of good foods until i became normal again with my weight

i felt so unhealthy drinking shakes as well

and as soon as i started eating sold food again i put it all back on

i found i got really stressed really easily on it too and was tired a lot
zoeh

Postby dancer » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:08 pm

Yep Admin Censored is what I tried too, before my wedding.

Yeah I lost 2.5kg in the first week and had heaps of energy, but then I felt flat and ill in the stomach and just really wanted to eat FOOD.

It really did feel so unnatural.

That said CMS, I wanted to say that if you only have a couple of kgs left it might help you, but bear in mind that it's just not natural.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Postby CMS » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:44 pm

Yeah I've thought about it and don't think I could do it. Just cutting down on the amount of solids I eat found to get me quite sick in the stomach and had to eat more to get rid of it
CMS

Postby Karnak » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:15 pm

I did the Optifast shake thingys. i found that I missed chewing.....
Karnak

Re: Optislim

Postby yellowroses » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:48 pm

Just updating this... sorry for bumping it...

Anyway...

I've been doing the Optislim diet. You're not meant to just have the shakes, it is recommended that you have the shakes for breakfast, lunch and dinner and if you feel like it a shake for a snack, plenty of water (or low joule soft-drinks/cordial) and green low starch vegetables which you can have with low-joule sauces (like soy or something). It is a Very Low Calorie Diet, designed for people who are extremely obese and who need to lose a lot of weight quickly for health reasons.

After the initial 12 week period of only shakes and green veg, you start having 2 shakes a day (breakfast and lunch) and a low calorie dinner (they recommend the Optislim meal plan dinners, however you can get similar stuff from Calorie-King, Weight Watchers, or just by having pre-packaged frozen meals, or add a little bit of some sort of lean meat to your veges) - if you feel like a snack you also have one of their low calorie meal plan snacks. This stage lasts for 2-6 weeks. The third stage allows you a shake for breakfast, and a low calorie lunch and dinner (again with the meal plans/frozen meals) - this lasts until you have reached a mid-stage in your healthy weight range or until you've reached your goal weight. After this point, there is the maintenance stage, which suggests having breakfast, lunch and dinner from the meal plans.

The plan is designed as a long term plan - losing the initial weight to allow you to get out of being dangerously overweight, and then slowly weaning you off of the shakes and learning how to eat and cook for yourself healthily and make healthy decisions. Quick-fixes on the other hand offer massive amounts of weight loss, but don't attempt to teach you about healthy eating choices, wean you off of them, and aren't designed to give you your RDI of all the required essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs (Optislim does do this). Some people who only have about 10kgs to lose or so to get into their healthy weight range attempt to use a product like Optislim in order to lose the weight quickly - in that case, it is very much so a 'quick-fix'. However, if you have well over say 30kgs to lose, then it will help you a lot to get to and maintain your goal weight - healthily.
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Re: Optislim

Postby MOMO » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:40 am

It sounds like if you guys are putting weight back on, then you are eating the wrong things. We all need a balanced diet, which shouldn't involve skipping meals or replacing them with a shake. We all need to exercise as well.

The general concensus at the moment is not eating sugar. I tried it for a week recently and dropped 1.1kg in 5 days. You still need sugar for a balanced diet, but I only got it from fruit and milk. No added sugar! Apparently it doesn't even matter if you're still having fat, as long as you're not taking in sugar. Of course, you shouldn't go crazy on the fat. It's really just being smart about what you put into your body, try and keep it natural, meat, veggies, fruit....water, milk, maybe some no added sugar juice every now and then and usually 30% juice with 70% water mixed together.

Also remember the more muscle you have on your body the more your body will burn fat. If you have quite a bit of muscle on you, you could pretty much eat whatever you wanted, as long as you maintain that level of muscle. Also add some cardio in there to burn fat.

Losing weight by eating right and exercising will have long term effects as opposed to quick fixes, such as shakes and and all that. It will take longer though, but it will be well worth it....will make you fitter, stronger and look better with that muscle definition. It's taken me years to get into exercise because I never needed to as a kid, and I have found that group fitness classes help as opposed to trying to do it on your own and having to figure out what exercises to do.

Just remember, if other people can do it, then you can do it too!
MOMO

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk