It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Family Gathering Trends

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Mandie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:10 pm

My family is a typical Jewish family - if you're not eating, you must be sick! Food is love... there is ALWAYS food, some "nosh" (biscuits, nibblies, always fattening)...

and dinners!

We've only recently started trying to convince my grandmother that we don't need a six course meal when we come over (I'm not kidding!) but she doesn't listen, and she always guilt trips us into eating heaps - it's the only way to get her to stop complaining that we musn't like it!

Very tough to get out of.. my mum usually makes healthy food that is low fat and low GI (she has Crohn's disease, an intestinal problem that makes it difficult to absorb fat, and also diabetes), but our portion sizes are always way too big.. I know that, but it's taking me a long time to get used to a "normal" portion size - it seems so small to me!

It's funny how we don't realise our families are "abnormal" until we see someone elses! I think taking the frisbee and everything is a great idea - get everyone active! Let us know how it goes
Mandie

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:11 am

My parents, brother, sister and I always used to go over to Mum's parents with her sister and her kids on every holiday (Birthdays, Christmas Eve/Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve/Day, Easter, Mothers/Fathers Days, and being Polish all of the Feast Days too!).. There, the focus was entirely on food because our family doesn't get along with Mum's side too well.. My grandma would make stacks of food and constantly reload our plates with it and get majorly insulted if we said "no more!", and then she'd give us more anyway. :roll: :roll:

Since we stopped going to their place (and got practically shunned from the family), we just have little get-togethers of my parents, sister, brother (when he's over from Melbourne) and myself. Now the food isn't a focus at all, it's just there! We always cook healthy stuff, my mum gets her baking fix by baking chocolately things for my sisters boyfriend (who is a Type 1 diabetic and has the worst chocolate addiction you'll ever see!!!!).
I'm sooo much happier this way!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 pm

Our family get togethers were usually to catch up and us kids would run around like mad things until it was dark. Food wasn't the big part until we got older. Then Mum would cook plenty to make sure we were eating well when we come home for family things as if we couldn't feed ourselves.

Well done Chunkster for setting a new trend in your family. All the best and getting everyone up and active is a fantastic idea.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby tree » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:29 pm

My extended family dont get together very often but when they do there is truck loads of food and no activity. The focus is eating and we all do a great job of it - stuffing our faces until there are NO leftovers- its against the rules! Not suprising - all the aunties and uncles are quite big and all the kids are also quite big.

My husbands family are all tiny people and at their gatherings food is the afterthought. They all politely nibble and taste things and there are LEFTOVERS at the end OMG!

I try to incorporate activity in so we always take Bocce or a soccer ball. It keeps the kids entertained and keeps me away from the lollies.
T.

starting weight 91.2kg
current weight 85.2 kg
tree

Postby Fairie » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:47 am

I love family gatherings but no-one else in my family does. :(

I have 2 brothers and 1 sister and DH has 7 sisters and 2 brothers, plus all the nieces & nephews. The only time we all get together is at Weddings or Funerals and I find that so sad. I tried for many years to have some family gatherings but nobody was interested not even at Christmas.

So as in years gone by we will be spending another Easter home by ourselves, not even our son will be here. :(
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:05 am

chin up fay id invite u over to our family do's if you lived closer. i dont like seeing people miss out :(

my family invited this friend of my pops over for xma slunch one day cos his wife had dementia, and he ended up bringing his whole extended family. he told us he was going to be on his own and my mum and step dad invited him and we had to feed his whole family. it was the worst christmas because it was like he was there free loading and basically our whole family got shoved out the way
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:47 pm

We always have more food than we know what to do with at my family gatherings. It's so hard to be in control when there's soooo much food around. I always end up very ill by the end of the day!! Easter lunch is tomorrow (early, because my dad has to go to the football on Sunday :roll: :roll: ). Not sure how I'm going to handle it.

There's not so much alcohol. My mum is against drinking and gives dirty looks / comments to my dad or me if she thinks we have had too much :roll: Not that I let that stop me!!! :twisted:
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:19 pm

LOL you just enjoy yourself sarah. on christmas day the lunches at my mum and step dads is so over the top there are left overs for days!!!

have a great weekend and indulge as little or as much as you like, you are in control
kate_turner2000

Postby milkyway » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:38 pm

Food isn't the centre of our family gatherings -- I'd say it's the kids. I have 2 nieces and 2 nephews and I just love it when our family gets together which is happening a lot more often now that my brother has moved a lot closer to Melbourne. We've had 2 gatherings in the past month and got another one planned next week.

I get along well with my whole family. My sister is my best friend and we hang out socially all the time, chat on the phone everyday, email and SMS each all day long. I'd be lost without her. The hardest thing about living overseas was leaving my big sis behind! We never (or rarely) fight and even though we are two very different people, we are very much involved in each other's lives and get along really well. There's a 7 year age gap, but we've always been close. I was her baby :)

I hang out sometimes with my oldest brother. He's a cool guy. I'll go and stay at his place and we'll have a few drinks together and chat. We chat on the phone regularly and email too. He gets along well with my husband -- actually, he gets along well with everyone.

I don't spend much time with my other brother because whenever I see him, my attention is distracted by his three great kids :) But we used to be best mates growing up and did everything together as kids as we're the closest in age. He's got a wicked sense of humour and cracks me up. And when he's got a beer in his hand, you can't shut him up!

When we all get together, my sister and i usually hang out with the kids most of the time. I take my dog with me and the kids adore him. He chases them around (speedy greyhound) and they squeal in delighted terror and hang on the washing line to get out of his way -- you always think he's going to run into you but he dodges at the last second. When he's tired out, they just lie down with him and cuddle him.

Mum does all the cooking (we clean up) -- usually it's BBQ (dad cooks) and salads, or sometimes she makes a couple of casseroles and rice. But there is always deserts -- chocolate mousse, trifle, cakes, apple pie etc etc etc. She loves spoiling us with sweet treats. I know that I reward myself with sweet things, much like mum did to us growing up.

My dad drinks a fair bit and loves a family gathering as an excuse to get into a slab. My brothers are both big drinkers, though my oldest has recently cut right down, much like me. My mum gets a hangover just from looking at the wine label and my sister hardly drinks anymore after a few bad experiences/hangovers in recent years after some big nights out :P

We usually end up watching a DVD together in the evening, bodies sprawled all over the lounge. At Christmas we watched Kenny all together, which we all loved. It's usually a comedy and/or kids movie. Good times :D
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby SarahC » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:42 pm

Thanks Kate... I will try! My nan is making trifle and apple pie though :shock:

You have a good weekend too :D
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Mmm trifle and apple pie... How I love them both! Argh, all this food talk! I'm so hungry and dinner is about 15 mins away! Shhh tummy, shhh!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Chunkster » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:20 am

Well I had an interesting Easter gathering. Apart from the usual people on one side offending those on the other (unintentionally)...it went quite well. All us younger ones got out and played frisbee and threw a ball. We even went and played on the kiddies playground (until some annoying 10 year olds came over and ruined our fun)... :lol: I did however take a funny pic of when my hubby got stuck in a rocker...was a bit paniced at the thought of having to call the fire brigade to use the jaws of life to get him out...but he got out ok!!! :oops:

I may have overdone it with the cake though...I did pay for my indiscretions with a sore belly for the rest of the day. But I am back into the exercise and healthy eating. :shock:

So we have started the ball rolling with changing the usual Food Frenzy into a more fun and active gathering.

How did everyone else's Easter gatherings go :?:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wamVCMb/]
[/url]
Chunkster

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 am

wow chunkster sounds like you had a giggly and fun get together :) good on you. it sounds like it was really active and that makes it an event to remember i think :)

my get together at mums was ok. we had a bbq- no salad there so i felt sick from just chicken breast. and then everyone drank (i dont drink) and were as pissed a parrots. i came home with heidi at 6pm with the shites at everyone for carrying on stupid and mick stayed for a couple of drinks and then the drunks thought it would be great to take mick out on the boat - i was more cranky as it was our anniversary. mick ended up getting out of it thankgod and came home. still pissed with my family because theyre inconsiderate.

however my sister is still visiting from interstate so that makes me happy :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Chunkster » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 am

kate_turner2000 wrote:then the drunks thought it would be great to take mick out on the boat - i was more cranky as it was our anniversary. mick ended up getting out of it thankgod and came home. still pissed with my family because theyre inconsiderate.

Man...when you add alcohol and family together it gets annoying and personal. Well in my experiences anyway!!!

Glad you got to keep your man home with you close on your anniversary in the end. :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wamVCMb/]
[/url]
Chunkster

Postby Justjudy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:05 pm

My son and I went to Lolly's for a sleepover. We had a fabulously healthy roast, and a couple of not so healthy drinks, and watched the first series of "Little Brittian" on a DVD. All in all we had a great night, and my youngest is going to be very impressed when he hears that we stayed at Aunty Lolly's "farmer" for the night.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk