It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:16 am

Free Newsletter

Diet pills

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Diet pills

Postby CMS » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:40 pm

Has anyone here tried diet pills and if so what worked for you?

I recently got Trimspa x33 tabs and I can't find reviews on it are they any good?
Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply ~ Bruce Lee
CMS

Postby Mandie » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:01 am

I know a few people on this site have used various kinds of slimming tablets, but I'm generally pretty wary. The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to make a complete lifestyle change, and make the switch to healthy, sensible eating patterns and regular exercise. Tablets may help you lose weight faster, but once you come off the tablets there is often a rebound effect where your appetite increases, and you gain the weight. Also, if you haven't properly learned the habits of the lifestyle change (eating well and exercising regularly), you won't be able to maintain your weight loss.

That's just my 2 cents. Used sensibly - as an adjunct to a healthy eating plan and regular exercise regime, tablets can help some people to lose weight, particularly those who have slower metabolisms and tend to have trouble losing weight. However, people should be very careful that they aren't relying solely on the tablets, and when they decide to come off the tablets they should withdraw them slowly - cut the dose down to half (ie one a day from two a day) for a week, and then by half again, until you are down to one tablet every two days, and then one tablet twice a week for one week, then stop. This will limit the risk of the effects of withdrawal.

Whatever you decide, best of luck. Remember, you can always discuss these things with your family doctor. For the obese among us, there are some medications that doctors can prescribe that will help shift the kilos quicker, and they can help you monitor your progress and combine it with a healthy lifestyle.

/end ramble.
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:54 am

im with mandie, and even the dr i saw yesterday was very wary of them too and basically came out and said 'they dont work' and called them 'loss weight quick schemes'. i believe there isnt a magical pill to lose weight ypu need to do it with hard work and learn things along the way. its sooo much more rewarding to do it the hard way too.

of course thats my opinion and as for trimspa i think thats the one anna nicole took to lose her initial weight?
kate_turner2000

Postby CMS » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:03 pm

Yeah it's the one anna nicole took which made me think I'll give it a go seeing as she lost alot of weight
Willing is not enough; we must do. Knowing is not enough; we must apply ~ Bruce Lee
CMS

im warey..

Postby nyz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:22 pm

hey!

Anna nicole also died of a mysterious heart attack...she also had a personal trainer and enough money to afford any sort of sugery! so im not trusting anything! And she got payed alot of money to promote the pills claiming she used them..hmmmm.

Every single tablet i have looked at says in the fine print on the back "results only sucesssful when used in conjunction with diet and excercise" and i think, well DERR! ofcourse if you are on a diet and excercising you are going to be loosing weight anyway!

I actually did get sucked in to the whole 'xenical - the science of weightloss' promotion, and i spent way to much money (thats another problem - they cost heaps!) and much to my pleasure, they actually started to work, i was loosing about a kilo a week! One day i was ranting to a friend about how good xenical was and she said 'hold on, havent you been killing yourself running and skipping the chocolate recently?' and i replied with a humble 'ummmm, yes?' and she challenged me to stop taking them just to test out if they were really helping. I felt so ignorant and stupid when indeed, the weight kept coming off after i had stopped taking those rip-off pills, simply because i was doing what my body responds to - damn hard work!

Thats my opinion on diet pills - probably just one of many, but you WILL see results if you make small changes that last a life time- u wont be able to afford diet pills forver, but you will be able to make lifestyle changes without them that will last forever!
hope that helps,

we can do it!

nyz xx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWWOKMr/]
[/url]
nyz

Postby CMS » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:33 pm

I guess so, I've only been on them a day and this morning lets just say I was on the toilet a while lol The caffeine and guarana in them make me jittery but I requested them for a birthday present so I'm just gonna see how I go on them.

And yeah I've been working my ass of in the gym and at home, an instructor gave me a weight lifting program and that really tones you up
CMS

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:36 pm

hey cms keep us updated with how you go on them k!!
kate_turner2000

Postby Sassygirl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Trim Spa I think is more known for Anna Nicole Smith then anything else.
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby electrongirl » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby dietcoke » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:51 pm

I've tried a few different "natural" weight loss tabs and I haven't really gotten any decent results from any of them. Yet I still keep falling for it...oh well.

I've tried Fat Blaster, Fat Blaster Max and the new one from Blackmoore's. I think you have to stick it out for a while. They pump you full of caffeine which is supposed to help you motivate yourself to exercise. Everyone's different so go for it if - it may work well for you.

BUT you also have to remember that we have different laws when it comes to what we can and can't put into over-the-counter medications than in the states so their pills are MUCH stronger. A good example of this is their cough medicine. I was overseas recently and had a bit of a cough. I bought some cough mixture and MY GOD...the walls started to move (although I had taken a bit more than the recommended dosage). The trim Spa sold in Australia is a different formula than the one in the US.

Good luck with it all. I'd love to hear about any good results. And maybe what I did wrong when I tried them.
dietcoke

Postby dancer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:29 am

I'm not totally opposed to getting some help with your diet by taking a pill. That said, I don't agree with the type of pills you are taking.

The ones that speed you up with caffeine and guarana etc are just not quite right.

I have just yesterday started taking "Reductil" again. (Now you may think that because I said AGAIN that they didn't work, but that's not the case. I didn't take them for long enough and had some major hiccups in life that made me over eat and gain weight.)

Reductil IMO is the best weight loss drug on the market. It is prescription only and you generally need to have a BMI of 30 or higher and tried many other methods of losing it without success.

Reductil basically works by sending messages to your brain making you feel satisfied with less food. For me it also gave me a feeling of well being.

Yes obviously you need to diet and exercise, but Reductil just helps me maintain that and after awhile you get used to eating smaller portions and your body doesn't need big meals anymore. Once you get to your goal you slowly reduce the amount you take ,but by then you should be so used to eating less, your body won't want more.

Google Reductil for more information if your interested.

For me day 2 of Reductil and I already feel great and really positive, which for me is fantastic as I battle depression.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Postby CMS » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:33 pm

Reductil sounds good. I only need to lose about 10 kg tho so not sure if my doc will prescribe it. I'm seeing him in an hour anyway so will ask about it.

Do you know how much it costs in australian dollars? Also you mentioned it helped with your depression does it give you a calm feeling cuz I have taken anti depressants with no success just sleep problems.
CMS

Postby Mandie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:18 pm

Reductil costs around $200 a month. It's a drug that is derived from the amphetamine class, so it suppresses your appetite and gives you more energy. It is NOT recommended for those with high blood pressure or heart problems (as it can cause a racing heart beat, chest tightness, anxiety and high blood pressure). It's also NOT recommended for those who have a small amount of weight to lose.

Studies have shown that patients taking Reductil DO put the weight back on after they come off the drug - but usually only half of the original weight. SO if you lost 50kg, you are likely to put back on 20-30kg ina couple of years. That's why it's not considered worth it for those who have less to lose, and it's not proven to be effective in people who are not in the obese range.

Reductil can be really effective, as I said, and it can really help kick start a weight loss regime of healthy diet and exercise. It's important to wean off the drug really slowly, so that you don't rebound - your doctor should help you with this.

Also - it's really expensive. Last I checked it was around $200 per month in Australia, and none of that is covered by Medicare.

If you think you might be a candidate, best to discuss this with your GP. But I hope this information helps some people!
Mandie

Postby CMS » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:49 am

$200?? :shock: My god I can get 3 months gym membership for that lol

Yeah I read some reviews on google about it, and it seems to really help people but I don't think I need it I'm about 69kg now and the weight training is paying off. Plus it would probably interact with the sleeping pills I'm on...something like reductil I have a feeling would bounce me off the walls lol
CMS

Postby dancer » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:46 pm

Mine cost $110 for the 15mg. I think the 10mg ones are slightly cheaper.

Mandie I disagree about Reductil suppressing your appetite. It's just not like those other appetite suppressant drugs that speed you up. Yes If I eat slowly I do feel contented with less food, but I still get hungry.

For the record I have been trying to stick to a healthy eating plan for the last 12 months only lasting 2 days at the most.
Since starting Reductil, I have now stuck to healthy eating and exercising for 6 days and over Easter No less while away at the beach.

CMS as for Reductil making me feel good, it just does. I too have tried other anti-depressants and thought none of them helped at all.

Reductil actually started out as an anti-depressant with the the side effect of weight loss. As an anti depressant it wasn't the best I suppose and it was developed into a weight loss drug.

I don't care what anyone else says, I couldn't get motivated and stick to anything until I took Reductil. It helps me get going and stick to my diet.

Yeah it's expensive, but with the amount of money I've spent on unused gym memberships, other diets etc. It's worth every cent.

As for putting half the weight back on, I think that's an individual thing. You do need to wean yourself off it very very slowly, but using it helps you develop good healthy habits which don't necesarily stop after you stop taking it.

CMS you don't have enough weight to lose to take Reductil. It really is for people who have 20+kg to lose.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk