It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:15 am

Free Newsletter

Too much water??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Too much water??

Postby SarahC » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:52 am

My mum's been having a go at me about the amount of water I drink and the amount of times I go to the toilet :oops: She is starting to think that I might have diabetes and that's why I'm drinking so much!!

I have tried to explain that I drink the required amount of water to keep my body healthy and that's how much water everyone should be drinking. I would get through an average of about 2.5 litres a day (not counting the water I drink during my workout ), and generally I'm off to the loo every 1-2 hours. My mum would get through maybe one glass of water a day, and she can go for 4 or 5 hours without going to the toilet :!:

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that I'm normal (well with regards to water consumption anyway :roll: ). What does everyone else think? Should I get tested for diabetes just to shut my mum up? How can I convince her that I'm not sick because I drink so much water?? :(
SarahC

Postby Dee » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:57 am

It sounds fine to me Sarah, though I'm certainly no expert. I drink almost 3 litres of water most days and I have been tested for diabetes, it came back negative.

I guess if you're really keen to get her off your back you could get the test - it's pretty simple, but if you're not worried then don't bother.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Fairie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Sarah,

My DH has always said I drink to much water, I would have between 2 & 4 litres a day. Most of the times I have to plan my outings around Toilets. :oops:

I have a sister inlaw and a friend that have both been diagnoised with Diabetes, they have also both suffered strokes in the last 2 years. They are also on the large side as well so I thought I better have myself checked, it came back negative and I was so relieved.

The doctor told me in regard to the water consumption that it was when you were constantly thirsty even when you drink heaps that is was a concern.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby milkyway » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:31 am

Hey Sarah, I am often embarassed by how often I have to go to the loo but I know it's because I drink litres of water everday. I probably go at least every 90 minutes, if not every 60 minutes. I think you're completely normal. As for convincing you mum? Not sure. Maybe a bit of internet research or medical journal that will prove to your mum that you're perfectly healthy?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby SarahC » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:42 am

I find that my mouth gets really dry and I start to feel a bit ill if I go for say half an hour or more without a sip of water. But I feel better after I've had a mouthful or two. I wouldn't say that I am constantly thirsty though...

I'm not worried about it at the moment, although I'm sure that after a while my mum will make me worried :roll:
SarahC

Postby Mandie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:03 am

Doesn't sound like you have a problem. Maybe next time you are at the doctor for a general check up you can ask them to check your blood sugar, but I wouldn't make a special trip!

As long as you are feeling healthy.

If you start feeling excessively tired, have no energy, and like Dee said, feel really thirsty even though you drink heaps.. if you are getting up a few times during the night to pee.. then you might have a problem and you should get it checked out. Until then, don't worry! :)
Mandie

Postby dancer » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:44 am

I reckon I go to the loo about 10 times a day when I drink a lot of water.

I think it's perfectly normal and makes sense that if your drinking that much you have to pee that much.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:12 pm

it sounds fine to me sarah. my doctor told me the other day that he was speaking to a renal dr and he recommends that you should drink at least 2 litres a day for kidney and renal functions. he said there is a massive percent of australians who dont drink more than 800mls a day.

i just look at the toileting trips as my body flushing all the toxins away.
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:33 pm

My hubby thinks the same as your mum sarah but I dont think he ever drinks water only coffee :shock:
2 litres is a good amount to drink in a day
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby Kindred-Katt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:03 pm

I read on Yahoo Answers that the amount of water you should drink during the course of the day is half and ounce of water per pound you weigh... That's not quite 15 mL per (about) 453.6 grams...
Now I am a little under 150 kg, about 326 lb, so according to this way of thinking I should drink about 163 oz of water. That's nearly FIVE LITERS!
There is no way I could drink that much water during that day! Even if I started super early and was still drinking water when I went to bed...

I normally drink about 3L a day on average, sometimes a lil more, sometimes a lil less. It depends on how hot it is and what I am doing...

My hubby nearly flatly refuses to drink water. It's coffee (black, one sugar), Coke (and too much of it) or cordial (which he only uses a tiny bit in a two liter bottle). I guess the cordial is his only save grace in the respect since he mixes it about half the regualr strength.

Personally, I think you would know if you were drinking too much water for what your body needs because if you DO drink too much water you tend to get cramps and the like because the salts and electrolytes are thrown out of balance...

Just my humble opinion. =)
When I am thin, fat will be in!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wBsOI5W/]
[/url]
Kindred-Katt

Postby KimE » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:03 pm

Aww Sarah I think you are as normal as the rest of us here.....which may or may not be a good thing. :D

I guess for people who don't drink the recommended amount of water it would seem strange and it is amazing to me how many people don't seem to 'get it' that their body needs water or how much. I used to get a bit self concious of how often I go to the toilet at work but now it's too bad. I love water and barely drink anything else apart from my 1 1/2 cups of skinny milk every day. I usually drink 2-3 ltrs per day.

I agree with showing your Mum some research and perhaps you could turn the tables and get on her case about how little water she drinks!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Chelle » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:06 pm

sound fine sarah just get a check up when you go to the dr next just in case But i' the same I go to the toilet alot coz the amount of water I drink
Chelle

Postby MissE » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:31 pm

I drink upwards of 5 litres of water a day and go to the loo at least once an hour. I dont have diabetes and I just like my water!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby SarahC » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks guys! It is amazing how some people can get away without drinking water at all. It must seem so strange to them that people can drink such large amounts of water :? But how do you convince them that you're the one doing the right thing and they are not??

Well, my mum has finished having a go at my water drinking (for now anyway!) and is now on at me about excercise. Over easter, not having access to my gym, I went for runs in the mornings, and then had a walk before dinner. OMG two excercise sessions in one day!! We can't have that now can we?? There must be something wrong with me... :roll: Parents suck sometimes :(
SarahC

Postby KimE » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:43 pm

You're doing fine Sarah. Start picking your nose in front of your Mum and then she will only have that to worry about. She won't even bother with the water or the exercise. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk