It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 am

Free Newsletter

The expense of getting healthy

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The expense of getting healthy

Postby milkyway » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:49 pm

I have to go and buy some bike shorts today to wear under my trackies/shorts to stop the chafing caused on my longer runs by chubby thighs :( Not sure how much they will cost but hopefully I can get three pairs for around $60 or less.

Last weekend I bought a fuel belt which is brilliant. It has a secure pocket for my keys and phone and it has little plastic bottles that strap into it - good for going on a longer run when you're not sure where the drinking taps are and I can mix up my Endura sports water and have it on hand. That cost me $49.95. I entered the Run for the Kids which cost $34.00 (I think!).

Hubby and I are discussing joining the local YMCA together. More money.

So all this got me thinking - how much money am I spending on getting healthy???

I also pay $89 per month for my Taekwondo lessons and Tae Bo classes. I am sure there are lots of other little incidental things too, like protein bars and all the extra showers I have to have cos I dont want to go to bed sweaty and smelly!

However, I am sure I spend less at the supermarket and green grocer because I buy a lot more fresh food and lot less packaged stuff, no sweetie treats etc.

I am going to need a lot more new clothes soon. I recently bought a few bits of clothing to see me through this 'in between' period. I got them at Savers and only spent around $54.00, but all of my exercise pants are starting to slip down all the time! :oops:

I don't begrudge spending the money, but am just wondering where it will all end :?:

So, how about you guys? Is the getting healthy lifestyle sending you broke?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Mandie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:25 pm

Well - I had to buy some pants for the gym - about $30 a pair... and new sports bras at $70 each (damn my giant rack) - have 3 of those now. And my gym membership, of course, at $650 for 14 months (just renewed). And my gym shoes - brand new runners from New Balance, at $230 retail (although I got them for free through my Dad's connections!). My mp3 player ($200) I got specifically for exercising too.

So it definitely adds up!

But it's SO worth it - I'd probably spend extra money on alcohol, DVDs for sitting on my bum and watching, stuff like that... so it's okay to spend it on my health I think. :D

It can be really tough though. Although - it CAN be done without spending too much. If you just go for daily walks and climb stairs in your office/home etc, and do your own exercise routine with sit ups etc... you could get by with a cheaper pair of shoes, and just whatever old clothes you have, and you'd be fine...
Mandie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:41 pm

i can honestly say this is a topic i often discuss with anyone who will listen haha. eating healthy does cost a lot. especially when im eating fresh fruit and veg every day- thats the most expensive thing i think. FOOD!

ive heard of some people not wanting to lose weight because they cant afford new clothes when their clothes get too big. this is the problem i have at the moment. i need to replace all my clothes gradually. but if i continued the way i was going before i would be spending money on larger clothes than smaller clothes. lose lose situation there.

i think that being healthy and happy with yourself and your body is something that money cant buy though, so you will do everything you can to get that way
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:56 pm

I still haven't gone out and gotten a whole new wardrobe, I can't afford it. But I have bought what I need when I needed it and slowly it is coming together. Although I am up for some new work pants soon and I would really like some Levi's since I could never fit into them before unless I wanted to wear the men's size. People don't realise if you have lost a few dress sizes you usually need to get everything including underwear.

With my gym gear I have alternated between name brands and target so it wasn't so expensive apart from the training shoes but I didn't mind that expense as I use them most days. Gym membership plus all the weight gear I bought as I prefer to do weight training at home. Yeah it sure adds up.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:33 pm

oh yeah and underwear!! im glad best n less have those 7 pairs for $10 or whatever it is. they get me by! haha
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:13 pm

LOL me too I think I picked up a 5 pack from Safeway. :lol:

But have got a few pairs of lacy sexy numbers too and for the first time ever bought a nice bra with matching knickers in yellow no less!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:33 pm

i dont have many sexy ensembles, i dont think i know how to be sexy, hahah.
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:42 pm

i have some pretty bras but not the matching undies yet... thats one of my goals - nice lingerie!
Mandie

Postby milkyway » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:51 pm

I came back from the sports store with just one pair of bike shorts, a pair of long tight track pants (for those cooler nights and mornings) and new pair of runners cos my expensive Asics are causing my feet to cramp. Hubby also bought a pair of sneakers. So that was worth almost $200! Yoikes :)

The other thing I've noticed lately is how much extra washing there is.
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby *KaTe* » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:04 pm

Good topic Milkyway! :) I definately noticed that it was expensive being healthy at the start of my weight loss...I was going to a personal trainer etc and it was realllllllly expensive- $45 dollars for 1/2 hr training :? ...

Dont get me wrong it was good- but I have since realised that you can get quality training for less than that...and for a full hour. My new trainer is $40 for an hour! And she's awesome. Havent been seeing her much lately but will again soon!

Have been mainly doing exercise from home- quit my gym membership...have finally learnt my lesson- not going to join one again! They annoy me, I find it better working out at home or with a trainer...or outdoors!

I probably used one month of my yearly gym membership, so that was over $600 down the drain!! Silly really but when you dont enjoy going there- it makes it difficult!!

Have found that buying fresh fruit and veggies etc does cost alot! But I think you cant put a price tag on it. I used to think that eating fast food was sooo much cheaper- but I found whenever I ate it I wanted more and was hungry quickly after eating, so I ate more...which cost more...

And when you look at the prices of snack foods etc in the supermarket, they cost ALOT! And most people do consume alot of that crap. So I guess at the end of the day I'd rather spend a little bit more and be healthy and feel good then eat all that processed sugary salty stuff and feel like crap!

*KaTe*

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:01 pm

hey sandra wow it works out expensive huh! i dont mind washing, i do it all the time :) having a baby means you have lots of washing!! i just dont like ironing- shudder!
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:03 pm

I have to agree, getting healthy is an expensive exercise (pardon the pun).

Being a single Mum, on limited income, I have worked out ways to "cut the corners" so to speak. All my clothes got too big, so I went op shopping, and have started to buy a whole new wardrobe of clothes for minimal cost. When I have shrunk out of those, they can go back to the op shop and I will do some more happy shopping. When it comes to exercise it is a case of free or very cheap. I do lots of walking, some swimming a couple of times a week - and I bought a season ticket for that, that included not only me but the kids as well - and my Dad is in the process of scouring garage sales for a push bike for me (I've given him a $40 limit). I have been fortunate that Dad has an exercise bike, and I have been using that for a while, but would rather be out in the fresh air, hence the garage sale shopping.

On the down side, New bras have cost me a fortune (even though I have bought them as cheaply as possible) I have gone from an 18E to a 16D, and at one stage bought new bras and only fitted in them for about 5 weeks (Lolly benefitted from that).

Glad that you found bike pants Sandra. I love them for walking, and have had trouble finding them in my home town, just as well winter is here and I can wear 3/4 lenth tights instead.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Dee » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:17 pm

It's the food that I find the hardest. Being on a monthly income, by the end of the month we;re often scrimping every last dollar. Unfortunately this can sometimes mean that we're eating processed crap again becuase it's CHEAP! I've started buying veg up in bulk and freezing it, but it can be really hard to put together healthy, filling meals all the time on a limited budget.

And don't even get me started on the excersize equipment, gym memberships, etc... I'm trying to avoid the Kranky Korner :?
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby *KaTe* » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:32 pm

Speaking of food...what does everyone do on here to make fruit, veggies and meat as cheap as possible?

I am currently at home, but buy alot of my own food...am moving out soon and have spoken to a few people about this...I guess buying in bulk is good but you have to go through it before it goes off...

*KaTe*

Postby milkyway » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:44 pm

We tend to shop late at night when all the specials are out in the meat dept cos they're trying to get rid of the food that's close to the use-by date - and if I have too much, I just freeze it for it later :) Usually it's marked down to half price :D
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk