It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:47 am

Free Newsletter

The expense of getting healthy

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:53 am

hey dee we used to be on a monthly income until the last month or so where micks work are now paying him fortnightly. it is taking some getting used to but i can totally relate having to budget to last til the end of the month.

i tend to buy my fruit and vegies as i need them. otherwise i find they spoil too quickly. things like potatoes and onions and carrots i dont buy as often but things like mushrooms and broccoli i do.
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:36 pm

Does anybody know the best way to freeze veg so that it stays fresh?
I've been popping them into freezer bags, bt they're not very nice when I defrost. Should I be blanching or something first? Do they need to go into Tupperware containers?
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Jisgone » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:07 pm

i think the best way is in one of those bags that sucks the air out then seals it and keeps the moisture out, you can buy them for fairly cheap too! my mum goes to the local markets and gets bags and bags of fruit and veg every friday and it lasts us the week. aslong as its fresh the day u get it then it should last!
Jisgone

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:49 pm

healthier food - pretty much the same as before, maybe less due to less processed foods (i.e. less GST)
Bike - approx $1000 but which has now paid for itself in petrol many times over and counting
Gym Fees - Nil
Exercise clothes - I refuse to pay more than $20 for something I will just be getting sweaty in unless it's a safety device like bike gloves ($50) besides which I would require my daggy T-shits, trackies and shorts for weekend work and gardening so I don't really count this towards exercise costs, but let's say a total of $200 for arguments sake.
Panniers - they were a gift therefore free

In total, I would say my healthier lifestyle is actually making me money through no gym fees and saving petrol/car running costs.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby electrongirl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:14 pm

I find I am spending alot more on food as I know buy tonnes more fruit & veges and less processed stuff.

Just in F & V's we spend about $150 a week. We have to go twice a week otherwise I get too much at once and it spoils.

Then normal grocery shopping is about the same. So we spend about $250-$300 a week on groceries.

Thats just 2 adults & 1 child!!!

But we all have healthy packed lunches and dinners!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:00 pm

I have to agree with you Sandra, losing weight is expensive but then I'm saving money in other areas as well. Prior to my weight loss journey I was buying my lunch, going out to dinner at least 5 nights a week, every weekend heading out with mates to catch up over drinks. i would go to starbucks at least 5 times a day to get my caffeine fix. Now I take my lunch and snacks to work. Have cut back on coffee and eat in most nights of the week and on weekends I don’t drink alcohol which has saved money.

Our grocery shopping has increased for the both of us we spend around $300 a week now compared to $150 we used to spend. But in the end it's still cheaper than what we used to pay to eat out at restaurants so I guess everything balances out. Our trolley is full of fruit and veg and a bit of meat. Meat doesn't seem to agree with me I feel all bloaty after I eat it so most of my meals are vego. I love nuts and they aren't cheap. We don't buy any processed food at all and the bottled water we buy (due to level 5 water restrictions).

As to exercise there is my gym membership, my group training sessions, my running shoes, gym clothing as well. My sports bras cost $90, I haven't had the need to replace them yet but my bottoms i have. I've had them for a month and have had to go down a size- i bought a pair of running tights and running shorts. I had to buy gloves for the gym because I was starting to get calluses on my hands from weight lifting. I've had to buy new undies as well since my old ones sagged, which was totally unattractive. I love bonds undies they are so comfy for everyday wear and I spent over $70 for a pair of cotton underwear :roll:

I can't wait until I have to buy new bras. I am so looking forward to that.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Previous

Return to Weight loss Talk