It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Free Newsletter

Big Bones??

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Big Bones??

Postby Jisgone » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:55 pm

i went to the gym this morning, and have never really told my parents about my weight, just about how much i've lost. so today at the gym me and dad both weighed outselves and when dad saw my weight he asked what i wanted to get too and i said 70. he doesnt think ill be able to get below 80 which kind of frustrated me, he pulled the old 'u have big bones thing' but i dont think there is such a thing!
people can have alot of muscle mass which makes them have a bigger frame but i dont have big muscles, i think my bones are the only part of me that arent big! :P i think ive heard 'u have big bones' one too many times
Jisgone

Postby talia11 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Oh man... if i freaking had a dollar for everytime I heard that.... that really annoys the crap out of me when people say that... I too have had that comment - until I lost alot of weight some years ago and my hips bones were sticking out - well, then it was ' oh my goodness you look anorexic!!! I don't even bother to discuss my weight with people who say stuff like that (and my grandfather, who I love dearly, he is a winner for that one!!)
Carmen - Weight Watchers -Goal 72kg

talia11

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:19 pm

dont let his comments get you down jewles. you will be able to get to whatever weight you put your mind to mate. i dont know about big bones. sometimes i can feel my bones and i think god theyre thick, and i think bones do make up part of your weight but not over 80kg worth!
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:28 pm

ive broken my arm and my foot before, they cant be that thick! i think people who say that are the thick ones :P its just so stupid, what has having alot of fat on your body got to do with the size of your bones? bones dont wobble like my thighs do!!
bf thinks i will get to 70 easy, and 65 if i really want to but ill reevaluate at 70 and see where im at, its odd. mums telling me not to turn anorexic, and dads telling me no matter how i try ill always be fat - maybe they need to talk more!
Jisgone

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:32 pm

theyre probably just concerned and ina way jealous of what you are achieving. perhaps they dont want you to get your hopes up. i knew a girl who often talked about her weightloss and how she was going to do this and that and in the end i just nodded because i knew she was setting herself up for a fall the way she was going. being cocky about your weightloss isnt a good thing. sure be proud of your achievements and have realistic goals but you dont want everyone to say i told you so if you dont make it. to me it sounds like you are being sensible about it all and you are going to reevaluate your weightloss goals when you reach 70kg. thats great your bf has such great faith in you however its your body and ultimately get to the weight you are happy with- not what he is happy with.
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:33 pm

i think dads jealous that in 2kgs ill weigh less than him :P he can be the new heavyweight of the family!
i think for me setting goals is a huge part of my weight loss, if i just said ill see how much ill lose ide have nothing to reach towards, i like to think im being sensible, im not expecting to be a size 8 and 50kgs! 70kgs is just inside my healthy weight range and ide be so happy not to be considered overweight anymore
bf is all for what im happy with, hes been very supportive and eating healthy with me, cept the other day when he had red rooster and hid the evidence :P
Jisgone

Postby Mandie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:02 am

Good for you Jewels.. you can do it. You can try to use BMI as a guide - it can be quite inaccurate at the upper levels but it's really accurate at the lower levels.. if your BMI would be above 20 at 65kg, then you will be in the healthy weight range, and not anorexic.

As for "big bones" - everyone is different.. for example, my liver may weigh different from your liver, and my leg bones might weigh different from yours - but bones and organs are a lot more "standardised" and they would only differ by a couple of hundred grams all up! some people are more petite and that's why people say they are "small boned" .. but its really a load of crap...
Mandie

Postby Jisgone » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:20 am

haha i cant recall seeing an xray and thinking 'wow they are big bones' :P
according to bmi i will be at a healthy weight range between 55.5kgs and 71.9kgs so i think 65-70 would be good cause i hope to have a bit of muscle mass
Jisgone

Postby vanessa0305 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:27 am

I wouldn't say I have heavy bones but I do have a bigger frame. My bmi says my upper limit is 70kgs and my lower limit is 53kgs. I have been that before and I looked anorexic, so I know that no matter what the Bmi says I can't really go below 72kgs without looking sick. I find that fustrating that when I go to my doctors I am overweight. I am now a size 12, how can that be overweight? I am tall so my weight seems to sit perfectly for my frame and I don't have any rolls or anything. I was very overweight......my bmi was 35.8 but now I am getting closer to my goal it seems impossible to be in the normal weight range.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby dietcoke » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:13 am

I think it's just about finding a weight that suits you. I had a friend who was quite sick with anorexia and when she lost the weight we realised that she actually DID have big bones. She had almost no body fat and her muscles just kept reducing but her hips were still as wide as mine. That's not to say that you can't reach your weight loss goals just know when it's time to stop losing weight and start maintaining your healthy (and attractive) weight. But having said that don't let anyone discourage you from hitting that goal weight (as long as it's healthy) because you wont know if you're supposed to weight that much until you try. Besides it's all about YOU being healthy and feeling good about YOURSELF.
dietcoke

Postby KimE » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:04 pm

I think you can have different frames...small, medium and large but even that wouldn't stop three people with different frames getting to the same goal weight. I suspect the weight just may look a little different on them but even then it wouldn't be a major difference.

Keep focused for yourself Jewles and you will make it to what you decided. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Weight loss Talk