It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:22 am

Free Newsletter

Weightloss through exercise

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weightloss through exercise

Postby dietcoke » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:04 am

Just curious...What is everyone's exercise routine and how effective is it in your weight loss? Has anyone made up a routine that they're proud of and want to share? I've had a look at some before and after photos and am absolutely gobsmacked!
dietcoke

Postby milo » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:05 pm

Well when I used to be a good girl I would do areobic dvd's every day for 40 minutes and I could see a difference. Now just getting back into it I am walking the dog every day and riding the excerise bike a few times a week, every little bit helps but to be honest I think its what you eat that makes you loose weight
Mel :)

WEEK 1 - 86.5 kg
WEEK 2 - 84.9kg
milo

Postby KimE » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:15 pm

I didn't start exercising until I had after changing my eating habits as it wasn't something I thought much about. I am so glad I did as I feel it is a big contributor to not only my weightloss but feeling more energised, sleeping better, strengthening my muscles and bones.

I now do cardio a minimum of 5 times a week for around 45mins a session and alternate with moderate to high intensity workouts. I also do (try my best to) weight training twice a week (fairly conservative but it seems to keep me ticking over). I don't consider this to be a lot of exercise I prefer to look at it as regular daily activity.

For weightloss...cardio to burn fat and weights to strengthen the bones and muscles as well as increasing your metabolism which in turn aids calorie burning.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:40 pm

I ride 5-6 days per week approximately 30km. And do a little walking on the of days, such as down to the shops, through the market on Saturday etc. Will also be walking the dog when we get one!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:34 pm

i like to mix it up :) keeps me from being bored!! check out the exercise diary for a look at what different exercises people do :)
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:58 am

I generally do about an hour of cardio in the gym every morning and weights about 5 days a week. When I'm at work I go for a half hour walk at lunchtime as well. And lately I've been using my cross trainer at night while watching biggest loser, which is quite fun as well :)
SarahC

Postby Chunkster » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:12 am

I go for a 2km walk/jog each night. I do push ups/sit ups/yoga postures whilst watching the Biggest Loser. And I am about to start doing some skipping when I track down my old Jump Rope For Heart skipping rope at my Mums place. At least I can skip to music and I will enjoy that.

I don't find that it makes me lose weight any faster than if I wasn't exercising...but I do find that it gives me more energy and strength e.g. my hips used to hurt everynight when I laid down for bed and now they don't hurt at all.

I think I need to push myself a bit harder before I would see much more weight loss from exercise as I have a very muscley build.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wamVCMb/]
[/url]
Chunkster

Postby vanessa0305 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:05 am

I try to go to curves 5 times a week and I like to do laps at the pool one morning a week (usually wednesdays) just to break things up a bit!
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby dancer » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:18 am

I'm not someone who likes going to the gym or running/walking the streets so I bought myself a crosstrainer and exercise bike.

I try to use them most days while watching TV. It keeps me on there for longer until the show has finished.

You just have to do what works for you.

I think it is a big contributor to weight loss for me.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Postby Justjudy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:13 pm

I love swimming, I do a couple of 1 hour sessions a week. I also walk on days when I don't swim - though some of those sessions are with the kids on their bikes, and it is a little bit stop/start at times. I have also just started cycling. My knees and my bum complained a bit, but they will just have to either get used to it or learn to stop complaining, because the rest of me quite enjoys it.

I also try to keep active with the kids as much as possible, and I can now just about keep up with them. We do things like having netball goal throwing competitions, playing backyard cricket, long walks, swimming (don't get any laps done - we mostly play), and my youngest is keen on hockey and tennis so that will be added to the agenda shortly I should imagine.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby dietcoke » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:43 pm

Awesome...you all have some really good ideas. I'm just getting a bit over the walk/run thing. I'm also getting back into my pilates which is really good. Nearly kills me though but I guess that's a good thing. Actually I got sucked in by one of those guthy renker infomercials and went to Big W and bought a couple of Winsor Pilates DVDs - Basics and Ab Sculpting. They're actually really good. My aunty got the same idea and bought herself the Upper Body Sculpting one but thought it was too hard and gave it to me. Now THAT one gets results. And I asked my sister to get me the 20min Workout one for Christmas a couple of years ago. Honestly the first time you do it you think "this woman is trying to kill me" but after a few times you feel so proud of yourself for getting through even half of the exercises and before you know it you can actually see and feel long and lean muscles. I could actually feel tight ripped muscles under the flab when I pressed into my belly. Sure it would have made more of an impact had I not had the fat covering it but hey...I knew how much it worked.

Just writing about it has made me want to do it so off I go to let Marie Winsor kill me through exercise.
dietcoke

Postby ZelmaWA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:09 pm

When I was losing weight most of my exercise was walking. Either on the spot (baby steps - that was all I could do), walking outside with hubby or LOTS of walking on the treadmill. Once I lost a little, and it was easier to walk, I would try to do 30 or 40 mins in the morning and then again in the afternoon/evening.

Now, I mostly try to get my exercise in as soon as I get up, as I am DEFINITELY a morning person. I try to average 40 or 50 mins a day, so if I do a little more on a few days I can have one or two rest days now and then. I am not a gym person, so I have a few pieces of equipment at home now for variety. I have a treadmill, exercise bike, home gym and cross trainer. I mix this up with aerobics DVDs and Dancing (Masala Banghra(sp?)) DVDs. I also still walk outside when the weather is OK. I like having the variety as I never have an excuse not to exercise. There is usually SOMETHING to match my mood for the day.

I have a feeling that I will never say that I 'love' exercise, but I certainly love the way I feel afterwards. I also love the effect it has had on my body. I am positive that I wouldn't have had the results I have if I hadn't combined exercise with healthy eating.

I hope you find something that suits you and your lifestyle.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby dietcoke » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 pm

Fair enought although I don't currently have the fundage to buy the big equipment but I understand that I have to use what I have to mix it up so that I don't get bored.

If you don't mind my asking Zelma, roughly how many calories/kj do you consume in a day. I'm currently trying to shift about 5-10kg and am struggling to keep to the 1200 cals
dietcoke

Postby ZelmaWA » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:34 pm

Dietcoke - I don't mind you asking at all, although I'm not sure how accurate I can be with my answer. You see, I don't count calories, and haven't really counted calories or measured food during my weight loss journey.

I did, however, enter my food into Calorie King (I think that is the one) at one stage to get an idea, just out of curiosity, and it came out that I was eating anywhere from 1800 to 1900 on average a day. Mind you, it was also showing that I was burning between 500 and 1200 calories with my exercise, so I'm not sure how accurate that sort of thing is.

Of that 1800/1900 calories, MOST of it is vegetables and fruit, with whole grains and lean protein. I don't have many 'empty' calories, but I do enjoy my low-fat icecream on a fairly regular basis. My dietitian friend told me to stick with that as it is my 'treat' and curbs my cravings for other things.

So, I am probably consuming a LOT more calories than other people, but it seems to be working for me at the moment. If I got to the stage where I couldn't exercise as much, I would have to seriously look at lowering my food intake, but at the moment I still love my food WAY too much to want to do that, so I am happy balancing it out with exercise.

I hope that this was of SOME use to you.

Zelma
Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at: http://www.zelma.neilknobbe.com
ZelmaWA

Postby dietcoke » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:14 pm

Oh VERY helpful thank you. I was so disheartened when I added up my daily cals and they equalled about 1550 after I'd just read that to lose weight you have to stick to around 1200 :shock:

But you have a really good work ethic when it comes to exercise (which I'm working on - doing 45-60mins of cardio and 20-40mins pilates per day plus trying to get in as much incidental exercise as possible) and the weight that you have dropped is amazing (with a fair bit of hard yakka of course).

It's quite likely that 1200 is ok for people with sedentary lifestyles who wish to lose weight but seems too extreme for active people.

Ah you have made me feel SO much better...thanks Zelma
dietcoke

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk