It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:45 am

Free Newsletter

exercising not losing

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

exercising not losing

Postby moses » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:42 am

have been walking for 4 weeks now about 45 mins a day and have lost nothing what am i doing wrong checked calorie intake which is about 1200 to 1700 a day any suggestions :( :?:

Postby Dolly » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:03 am

Hi Moses, good to have you here (please feel free to jump onto any thread and join in)
Of those 1700 calories you consume are you balancing the diet with food from each of the food groups?
Are you drinking around 2 litres of water per day?

Each meal time I know I should try to engage in a little from each food group.
*a little fat with each meal (it nourishes the hair, eyes and skin, brain and nerves)
* calcium, yoghurt, spinach, broccoli, dairy, salmon and sardines (essential for the formation of and maintenance of healthy teeth and prevents bone thinning, and is needed for the heart and circulatory system)
*starch, bread, crackers, pasta, rice or potato (whole grains will regulate cholesterol and keep your heart healthy)
*plant life (raw is always healthier) salad/vege/fruit (Folic acid is a B vitamin needed for cell replication and growth)
*protein chicken, fish, beans, peas and other legumes, lamb, pork, beef, eggs, cheese, yoghurt, milk ( provides your cells with the building material they need to grow, repair and maintain their structure)

I find that on the days that I gain heaps of weight, I tend to eat too much of my caloric intake from bread and fruit.
I always find bread so easy to grab, and it gives me that temporary full feeling that I feel I need so much, unfortunately it makes my scales go in the wrong direction.
I still have trouble filling my meal plate with a little from each food group.

They say red meat is best eaten no more than 2 or 3 times per day at the most as it takes a couple of days to work it's way through the system.
Fish is also another one we now have to watch out for because of it's mercury content that is found to cause brain damage. It's far safer to eat small fish like sardines or anchovies that haven't been in the ocean long.
Over 5 million pounds of mercury were dumped into the environment by the US alone (one pound is equal to 454,000 mgs). This is causing immeasurable damage to our environment and the food we get from it.

It is confirmation that our species has irreversibly and permanently contaminated the waters of the world to the point that all fish are now toxic, and although I suspect technology will develop in the next few centuries that will clean up this mess, for now we are stuck with this fact.
We all need the omega-3 fats, but if you aren't consuming small fish you should get your omega-3 from a clean source. Most of the fish oil supplements go through a molecular distillation process to clean out the mercury, but you should definitely contact the manufacturer directly to confirm this.

However, if you feel you are balancing what's on your plate each meal time, it might pay to visit the doctor to give you a simple blood test to check your thyroid function.
If you are suffering with hypothyroidism this will give you a slow to no metabolism and you will need a daily thyroxine tablet to get things moving again.

Good luck Moses

Postby university student » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:19 pm

Can't loose wieght? Tell me about it. I am 77kg and have been going to the gym for over two months now 3-6 times a week, as many as I can possibly fit in. I started at the ripe wieght of 78kg.

I am getting so frustrated, and found out for the first time today that they want me to get to 64kg. I HAVE NEVER BEEN 64KG. I know I am probably only having a bad day and will be back on track tomorrow, but this sort of stuff makes me feel like censored.

I am never going to be a healthy 64kg, I have 15 kilo's of excess fat and I am going to say it..... stuff it, I'm bloody well giving up, if it takes me around two months to loose one kilo while I'm busting my gut, but I can stay a suitable 78 for the rest of my life.... GOOD FOR ME!

Sorry people, but I am having the worst possible day I can imagine.
university student

Postby Dolly » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi Student,
That's okay, we all have times like these, that's what this forum is for. We care about your weight loss thought. I don't know how many times I've given up too.
in my youth I used to be a skinny fashion model, when I suddenly developed a condition called hypothyroidism where I have practically no metabolism even though I take the required medication and eat healthy. I knew something was wrong when no matter how hard I worked on my gym equipment I could not work up a sweat.
I guess we all have our problems.

I suppose you've probably already tried cutting down the amount of food you eat or perhaps just the amount of fat and carbs. Having a meal of mostly protein and vegetables has helped many people reach their goals.

Postby Tas » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:53 pm

Hi Student

We all have bad days, so don't worry about it ok?
My ideal weight is between 58 and 65 kilo's and there is NO way I am going down that far! I am 166cm tall and currently hovering around 80 kilo's. My closest friend is the same height as me and her weight is 55 kilo's and she is thin!! She saw a photo of me at that weight and she was horrified and thought I was seriously ill!

So just because IT (whoever it is) says that you should be a certain weight it doesn't really reflect bone structure and so on and that's just my personal opinion.

As I said my friend is exactly the same height as me and she is way too thin - she has to run around in the shower to get wet!!and I will not go that far as it doesn't suit my frame.

Chin up, tomorrow will be a better day....take small steps. The lack of weight loss is probably toned muscles or something?

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:21 pm

Hi university . Some times even though we are exercising it doesnt show up on the scales .thats because muscle mass is heavier .Instead of weghing your self try measurements as it can show the loss in your body even though the scales dont .The best places to do this are -neck,bust (nipple line ),under bust (bra line )waist (belly button), hips , upper thigh (widest part ), lower thigh (above the knee), arm (between shoulder and elbow) and neck .Hope that helps you
Cheers Jules
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:56 pm

i think the best way to tell if you are losing weight is by your clothes. I had a blouse that when i wore it, it felt so tight, put it on at the weekend and heaps of room around the bust now, so i got severly excited about that. I haven't lost any on the scales for five days, but trying on clothes that were once tight and feeling movement in them now has given me the incentive to keep going no matter what. If you aren't losing at the gym, what are doing at the gym, cardio or weights? and for how long?

Postby University Student » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:15 pm

Thanks all, especially Tas, I always had the view that bone structure determined ideal weight too, as I stated before, I will never be a healthy 64 kilos.
Thankfully I am feeling much better today than I did that day because when I got off I decided that 68 is healthy for me and I WILL NOT GIVE UP, because that is what everybody expects of me.
It still might take me 12 more months to get to my goal of 68, but since posting I am now down to 75 kilos.
My goal is to reach this weight and keep it off for at least two months, and then I will know I have achieved it.

Thanks for all the support guys, truely, it's nice to know there are people out there going through the same thing.
Hugs to everyone, student.
University Student

Return to Weight loss Talk