It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:46 am

Free Newsletter

The Pill?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:26 pm

lol thats why i use the pill in conjunction with condoms. i dont want to take the risk of falling pregnant again yet. mind you it took over 8 months to fall pregnant with heidi - and trying nearly twice a day! but i cant be too careful!
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:43 am

I've tried taking the pill a few times in the past. Each time I gained a bit of weight and just felt so sick! Fat, disgusting and nauseous... not a good combination. I remember getting up one night to go to the toilet, and spontaneously vomited as I was half way out of my bedroom :shock:

I refuse to touch the things now!! Yuck :shock:
SarahC

Postby mrs c » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:45 am

I was on one that made me nauseous as well - like I had morning sickness!

I am on mircrogynon now which is ok - I gained a few kgs but that was probably eating habits more than anything.

The sad and ironic thing about the pill is that in a large number of women it does effect your censored drive - Ive been on this one for about 4 years and its definitely true for me.
mrs c

Postby Leishkin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:54 am

I've been on microgynon for about 3 years and was never warned about it making cancer cells grow faster, yikes! that's something they should tell you straight up! argh!

I have put on a lot of weight in the last 3 years - but as i started taking it around the same time i got into a serious relationship - it's hard to say if twas the relationship (you know that cushy phase where eating a dozen krispy kremes and sitting around all day watching TV, drinking coffee and snuggling seems like such a good idea!)

One thing I have noticed though (as i have been off it for a month due to a) my own slackness in not going to pick up my new prescription!! and b) not doing that in time to start it at the right time of my cycle - but i went to the doctor after being off it for a couple of weeks - and after my blood pressure being borderline high for the last few months, I was shocked that it was right back down to normal - I know doctors do check your BP when you get the pill, but might be a good idea to keep an eye on that.

I also found that the 'replacement - cheaper option' they often offer for Microgynon made me ridiculously mood-swingy, so i went back to the real deal reeeallly fast!
Leishkin

Postby Leishkin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:56 am

darn you can't edit posts on here? anyway. was going to say - this new 'birth control ring' they've brought out (anyone see that on current affair?) looks pretty fantastic... might be worth asking the doctor about that, too. don't know about any side-effects in regards to weight gain on that.
Leishkin

Postby electrongirl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:28 pm

I have spoken to a few doctors about weight gain and contraceptives and all of them have said they only can account for about 2-3kg weight gain.

Its not the drugs making you gain, its the side affects from them that change your behaviour which makes you eat more.

I was on Depo for 3 years and gained about 20kg. But I was also a different person on it. I was depressed, tired and grumpy all the time.

I am on Implanon at the moment, had it for 2 years. I managed to lose 15kg just after I got it.

Definately talk to your doctor but if you continue with a healthy lifestyle you should be fine.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Chunkster » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:09 pm

When I was first diagnosed with PCOS I went on the pill and in 3 months ballooned up 2 dress sizes and one bra size. My breasts were sore the entire time I was on it and I would cry at the drop of a hat (not a good 3 months I must say). I changed pill and my breasts deflated but the weight stuck. I didn't have any change in my diet either so I have always assumed it was from that particular pill. I have stopped taking the pill now for over a year and losing weight has become much easier (although I am trying harder) and my periods have come back to about 6 weeks apart (which is a miracle considering I could go for over a year without having them before).

I guess it is all about talking with your GP and finding the best pill/contraceptive to suit you and your needs.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wamVCMb/]
[/url]
Chunkster

Postby Groovychic » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:19 am

As for Yasmin, I am on that. The reason I chose it was because of the fact that they had tested it to see how much weight women had put on and it basically zero. I really did research it before I chose which one I wanted to be on. As for any side effects, the cost is large. Its not on the PBS. I get it from epharmacy for approx $55 for a 3 month prescription. So it certainly isn't cheap. But I figure it is worth that for me to not put weight on. And I haven't. I have lost weight since going on this pill. Previously I wasn't on the pill as I got my tubes tied about 7 years or so ago. So I was spewing when I had to go back on the pill. But my periods were horrid, heavy bleeding, agonising pain and I was getting regular ovarian cysts. The pain has died down a lot and no cysts as no ovulation but I still have fairly heavy periods. Time the whip the old womb out I think. I dont need it anymore anyway!!! I am only 34 tho and they don't like to do these things when you are still within breeding age!!! Thats the extra one for the country thing working there I think!!! As for libido, yep it is way way way down. Frank is getting pretty pissed off about the whole situation. We actually had a fairly serious discussion about the whole thing 3 or 4 months ago because he can't cope with getting basically no censored. So I do need to get my bum into gear and go see the doc about getting it taken out. Then no more pill. Which is a good thing cos I am hopeless taking it. I forget or even worse take 2 in one day!!! Makes me feel sick. I dont tend to look at the days when I pop the little sucker out! I've done it about 3 times in the last few months!!! Damn things are like 30c or something each as well, don't need to be wasting them!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:52 pm

Groovychic wrote: As for libido, yep it is way way way down. Frank is getting pretty pissed off about the whole situation. We actually had a fairly serious discussion about the whole thing 3 or 4 months ago because he can't cope with getting basically no censored.

its like that in our house. since having heidi we have gone from nearly twice a day to maybe once every 2 months. and i dont enjoy it its only to keep mick happy. i really feel sorry for him, but i think my reasons are more so from the scar tissue from my tear and i cant afford to see a ob/gyn to get it all fixed up :(
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:11 pm

after I started the pill I did put weight on - but it was hard to say if this was lifestyle related as I started Uni about the same time. I am now on the implanon thingo (cheaper, lasts longer and you can remove it if it doesn't work). I found with the implanon for the first month or two I had mood swings and just would get angry for no apparent reason. This has now leveled out and I am back to myself. As far as weight gain/loss again it is hard to say because I started this new weightloss change thing not long after. As far as libido, hard to say, can't really tell. And periods - I'm one of the lucky few who just don't get them at all on it. woohoo. It is kinda freaky for a while though, the idea of having something under your skin...urggh. I still hate people touching it!!!!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:22 pm

its strange isnt it tegan?! i remember i had it for the most part whilst i was in my senior years at high school and i was the onyl one with one in my grade and everyone insisted on feeling it and going 'ewww' lol
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:33 pm

So THAT'S what's killed my censored drive! haha well jeez I'm glad I'm not the only one, I was feeling a bit abnormal!

I've been on the pill for about 5 years, Norimin for probably 4 out of the 5 years.. I get my period properly for maybe 1 or 2 days? Even then it's reasonably light.. then it's barely there at all for the rest of the week! It's great :D I would love to go off the pill but I'm afraid that if I do I'll get "normal" periods again hahah and having such light ones suits me just fine!!

If you go off the pill, do you get your censored drive back?
zeedeveelgirl

Postby catclawz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 pm

I don't know abou tthe pill.. but when i got the Implanon taken out my hormones suddenly went crazy.. and my libido returned with a vengeance.. pity i was single at the time..lol
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wKGbOOn/]
[/url]
catclawz

Postby electrongirl » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:11 pm

I havn't had a problem with my libido on Implanon (I am still kind of a newly wed though hehehe)

I find I don't have any of the bad side affects I had with Depo.

I did have a few bouts of heavy bleeding which would last about 6 weeks, but havn't had that happen for a while now (touch wood)

I am really happy with it.

I can't take the pill, makes me throw up.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Groovychic » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:39 am

zeedeveelgirl wrote:So THAT'S what's killed my censored drive! haha well jeez I'm glad I'm not the only one, I was feeling a bit abnormal!

I've been on the pill for about 5 years, Norimin for probably 4 out of the 5 years.. I get my period properly for maybe 1 or 2 days? Even then it's reasonably light.. then it's barely there at all for the rest of the week! It's great :D I would love to go off the pill but I'm afraid that if I do I'll get "normal" periods again hahah and having such light ones suits me just fine!!

If you go off the pill, do you get your censored drive back?

It's a normal side effect of the pill, but doesn't effect everyone! So you are perfectly normal mate!!! As for the censored drive coming back, well it did with me. Prior to kids and in between kids and having my tubes tied I was on the pill and it effected the censored drive but then when off the pill to get pregnant or whatever and of course I wasnt taking it for a few years of having my tubes tied it was back up again. censored drive was good but I was in my late 20's, early 30's and to be crude, they say women are their horniest in their early 30's!!! Well poor old Frank only got about 2 years of that!!! The last 2 years I have been on the pill again! But after getting my tubes done the periods got steadily worse. I would get in between bleeding as well and it was driving me mad. If I was single then the whole censored issue wouldn't come into it and the pill would work wonders for me. I'm sort of like you Kate and only do it to keep Frank happy. Which is such a sad thing. Its not that I don't enjoy it or its painful or anything like that but I just can't be bothered. And I guess it doesnt feel as good as it used to it. I'd rather go to sleep!!!! The alarm goes off at 5.30 in the morning so I just want to go to sleep at night!!!! Plus now the kids are older they don't go to bed til 8.30 and that is about my bed time as well!!! So the poor guy is totally missing out and I do feel bad about that. Maybe I need to try to horny goat weed or something.........hahahaha!!! Or just get my womb whipped out!!!! Thats probably the best option.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

PreviousNext

Return to Weight loss Talk