It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:12 pm

Free Newsletter

Size 0

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Size 0

Postby Vegetable » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:07 am

Hey Did anyone see that show last night 'the truth about size 0' (or something like that) after BL? I thought it was disgusting and dispicable that they would play something like that at 8.30 pm. Rather than being what the woman called it, a 'warning" to parents etc about eating disorders, I think it was more of a "how to" on anorexia..... I mean little girls like my cousin who is a size 8, want to lose weight, shes too fat, shes too big, she just wants to lose 5 kgs, and that show spelled it out for them! If you want to look like this (like the skinny celebrities you adore) you have to only eat this, exercise this much, etc..... I thought it was really irresponsible of them to show it, or at least in that much detail, because I am SURE that their would have been some girls watching that went, 'Oh, so thats what I have to do to be skinny' what did you think of it?
Vegetable

Postby milkyway » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:17 am

I saw some of this show Vegetable and the thought did cross my mind that they were telling people exactly how to slim right down to a size zero, just like on shows like A Current Affair they teach people how to be fraudulent!

But to see her go from a healthy, happy, naturally beautiful woman to someone who was looking gaunt and tired (only saw up to week 3 because I had an exercise class to get to!) and not very attractive at all by then, I thought did send home quite a message. They also focused on how emotional she got and how her health suffered.

But as for teaching people? I think most people would have a good idea of how to slim down to a size zero and there are countless web resources out there encouraging annorexia, teaching people how to hide it which are far worse than the size 0 show which didn't condone her actions at all. And parents watching the show would pick up tips on how to spot this kind of acitivity in their own child. So not all bad - a little, but not too bad.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby mrs c » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:23 am

I agree - I think the message that this was NOT what to do was not put accross strongly enough. I think it would have been better if it was longer and had more input from nutritionists and doctors, like that movie Supersize me. They needed to emphasise more how bad and sickly she looked at the end of it. I think it was too half-arsed.
mrs c

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:14 am

that supersize me show turned me off maccas for ages! i agree the zero show last ngiht showed- how to! not -what not to do. i remember louise as quite popular singer in the UK when id watch top of the pops and all the teeny bopper magazines i used to read. she looks so different now. i thought she we small to begin with, i thought she looked sickly by the end of it.
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:26 am

mrs c wrote:I agree - I think the message that this was NOT what to do was not put accross strongly enough. I think it would have been better if it was longer and had more input from nutritionists and doctors, like that movie Supersize me. They needed to emphasise more how bad and sickly she looked at the end of it. I think it was too half-arsed.

Totally agree mrs c. It worried me that she said that she was worried that people would see the programme and think that they could acheive "size 0" too. They showed far too much of how too and not enough of why not too.

Judy :D
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Mandie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:19 pm

I didn't catch the show, but I must say that I find the whole idea of a size 0 retarded... the American sizes keep going down because women don't want to be a "fat" size 8, so now they are a size 2. It's crazy! I wouldn't care what number I was, as long as I am happy and healthy... and it was the same number in every shop... *groan* but that's a whole other argument isn't it? I've got clothes in so many different sizes that fit me... I've tried on size 20 jeans in JeansWest and been unable to pull them over my thighs, and yet I own two pairs of size 16s from the Urbane Woman range in Myer that fit me perfectly, and are becoming loose.. it's just RIDICULOUS!
Mandie

Postby dietcoke » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:33 pm

My sister and I were discussing this today. I think it depicted crash dieting women quite well - moody, dull skin and hair, tired and that horrible sick feeling you get when you've had no carbs. I think most teenage girls have been at the point where they eat little more than lettuce leaves and exercise too much. To me it's no different to over eating. I've said it before and I'll say it again - it's all about control. Whether you eat too little or eat too much - glamourising obsesity or anorexia/bulimia is EXACTLY the same. Both cause HUGE health problems. Both leave the person feeling unattractive and out of control and "unworthy" (generally speaking of course-i know I shouldn't). These celebrities that are a size 0 (the ones that aren't simply petite) have a serious problem. They need to get help not be on every cover of every magazine in every country around the world. I think the show last night was making point that CHOOSING that lifestyle is ridiculous because it doesn't take long before it's out of your control. I think they could have done more to tap into our shallow side by showing the unattractive side effects like to your teeth, digestive system, skin etc but I don't think they were being irresponsible especially when you look at the thousands of "pro ana/mia" sites on the net which encourange young girls to starve themselves complete with "thinspirational" images of gaunt models and tips on the best ways to hide your purging habits from your parents.
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:44 pm

i saw a photo of sophie monk with nicole ritchie the other day as theyre both friends and dating the madden brothers from good charlotte and she was merely a shadowof her former self. when she was in bardot she had such a great curvy body. i used to idolise her
kate_turner2000

Postby dancer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:04 pm

I think it could have been done better, but I don't think it was that bad.
Winners MAKE things happen,
Losers LET things happen.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w8P4eP1/]
[/url]
dancer

Postby Dee » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:20 pm

I felt that she spent too much time focusing on the fact that she was only "doing this" for a short period of time. I think too many girls (well, people) tell themselves that they are only going to diet really strictly until they get skinny - and then as they go along the measurement for skinny gets lower and lower... so that eventually their idea of skinny is insanely unhealthy.
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Chelle » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:49 am

I was shocked that they even showed a show like this on tv anyway. They way they advertised the show was appoling Want to know how to lose 2 dress sizes in 30 days That just shows a young teenage girl what they need to do to become a skinny stick figure. Especially the way they showed how to exercised & eat, I don't think that theyed showed to much of the negatives by doing this show, more the fact this is what you need to do to become like this & they way the trainer in LA was all 4 it & souned very happy for her to reach 45kg. The show was definatly an eye opener.
Chelle

Return to Weight loss Talk