It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Free Newsletter

How often do you eat?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

How often do you eat?

Postby dietcoke » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:05 pm

How much time after eating a decent sized meal is it normal to feel hungry again?

My mum and I had the same size meal of mixed vegies and egg white omelette (sp?) today. About two hours later I went to the kitchen and got 1/2 a kiwi, 1 spoonful of fruche and a sprinkling of almonds and sunflower seeds. She said "surely you're not hungry after eating that big lunch today". But I was. She went for a walk and I did 1/2 an hour of low impact aerobics yet she's still not hungry at all and I've had that snack, about a litre of water and 2 cups of green tea since. The thing is before eating I thought about it and I KNEW it was physical hunger and not just emotional eating (well 95% sure).

Am I just one of those people who gets hungry a lot or am I setting myself up for weight gain?
dietcoke

Postby Vegetable » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:30 pm

God, thats EXACTLY what my mum says! "Surely you couldnt be hungry already? Wait a while for it to hit your stomach" lol even if its two hours later
The thing with me is that I just eat when Im hungry. Sometimes its 3 hours after lunch I need a snack, or sometimes its 20 minutes. I do tend to be a fairly 'hungry' person.... I really dont think its a problem, as long as it is real hunger, (not thirst or emotional, boredom etc) then you are doing the right thing in fuelling your body :) Everybody is different :) My average day (well b4 tf at least was like this-
Breakfast
morning tea
Lunch
afternoon tea
late afternoon snack
Dinner
Dessert
and often late supper (usually fruit)

I think as long as you are listening to your body you will be fine :D
Vegetable

Postby dietcoke » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks heaps vege. I just don't want people thinking I'm a piglet when I really AM hungry. I've done the whole "wait until meal times to eat" thing (regardless of how hungry I am) SO many times and i think it's better for your metabolism to eat more often if you're hungry. Well I think I'll ignore nosey people and continue to snack if I'm hungry. That way I wont feel deprived and will be less likely to binge. Yes! That's what I'll do...hehehe I have to convince myself I'm right.
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:45 pm

hey dietcoke i think as long as you are eating within your calories for the day then it shouldnt matter when you are eating. it sound slike ate healthy foods when you were hungry.
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:02 pm

I think that's totally normal! Once your body gets used to having snacks, it "expects" them in a way! And by eating more often it does rev up your metabolism! I hate it when people comment on how often/what you eat! Mum always says I eat so much, but the difference is that I eat good, healthy and nutritious food whereas some people fill up on junk!

Being hungry a couple of hours later is normal! You didn't really have a whole lot in the way of carbs in that meal eg bread, rice, pasta etc, so you might have been hungry because there wasn't as much fibre in the meal as there could've been! There would have been carbs and fibre from the veges but yeah! Do I make sense? :P Probably not :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby dietcoke » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:25 pm

Yep...makes perfect sense. I suppose there wasn't much substance besides vitamins but nothing really to keep me feeling full for a while. Just can't work out why my mum wasn't hungry.
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:27 pm

shes older!! i fnd that my mum can go the whole day without eating and just eat dinner. she isnt much of an eater at all.
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:11 pm

I eat every 2-3 hours unless I am not hungry. Although if I have a very large meal I probably won't want anything for longer than that.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:25 pm

My mum is ridiculous... she's a size 6, used to be about a 10-12 before she got really sick and lost heaps of weight and has managed to keep it off by doing the following:

Going to the gym in the morning
Not eating until about 4 o'clock in the afternoon
Eating/drinking only things like coffee, crackers, fruits, veges, yoghurt (which are great, but cmon you can't survive on them!!!!)
Making up the kilojoules she's not eating by pigging out on her lolly stash

*(#&$# Hmmm I wonder where I got my food issues from!? She's having another operation soon which requires muscle growth to work so she's actually consciously trying to get her 45g of protein per day (which should be more anyway because she weight-trains), but it's a struggle to get her to have tuna for dinner rather than just veges or fruit n yoghurt.

She is SO frustrating #*($&
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Chelle » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Everyone's different. Just stick to your calories intake & you should be fine.
Chelle

Postby SarahC » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:50 pm

I agree, as long as you are not overeating it should be fine. It way better to eat smaller and more frequent meals anyway :)

I eat every 2-3 hours.... even when I am not physically hungry! My mind tells me I'm hungry 24-7, but my tummy is rarely hungry :roll:
SarahC

Postby dietcoke » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:03 pm

Ok cool. Sounds like I'm not the only one who eats often. Feel heaps better now.

Zeedeveelgirl sounds like your mum has a very limited diet. Don't think I could handle that. I've always loved my food.

Just curious can anyone give me an example of an effective daily diet. Just an example of what you might eat in a day just so I have something to base portion size, snacks etc on. I know everyone's daily kj requirements are different.
dietcoke

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:32 pm

hey diet coke head to the daily food diary section and you will see what people have planned for their meals/have eaten each day :)
kate_turner2000

Postby dietcoke » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Oh thanks Kate...will do
dietcoke

Postby Puffer » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:54 pm

I think that when you get hungry quickly it is because you have a fast metabolism, or you have eaten a high GI meal.

I used to be able to go without eating all day and not get hungry. I have started eating 6 'meals' a day (smaller than what most people would consider a meal) and I get hungry right on cue every 2.5 hours when I usually eat.
Puffer

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk