It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:48 pm

Free Newsletter

Weight Loss Standstill

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Weight Loss Standstill

Postby Tas » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:32 pm

I thought I would just let you all know that for some reason I have stopped losing weight and in fact have gained 500 grams! I am now 80.5!

I have not eaten anything that I shouldn't be eating and I am still exercising at least 3 x 30 minutes sessions a day. I have incoprorated some exercises in to my routine that my Personal Trainer has given me as well as using the ski/walker, exercise bike and treadmill. Not to forget the mulit-gym.

I have heard that some times the weight loss will either slow down, stop or you could gain some - well I have done the latter :roll:

It is so easy for me to grab a chocolate bar right now, but no, I can't do that now can I!!

My tummy muscles are aching a bit and I feel bigger than I did last Saturday when I tipped the scales the right side of 80 kilo's!

There I have said it now - and hope now that I have aired it for everyone to read that I have shamed by podgy bits back in to action.

I need that whinge 8) and so thankful for this forum to be able to do so..

Maria who is now 80.5 and has been since Monday :?
Tas

Postby Fairie » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:58 pm

Hang in there Tas, these Plateau's are so frustrating but you will get through them.

Don't give in too the "CHOCOLATE DEVIL" :wink: :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Tas » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:10 pm

Thanks Fairie....too late though - and it was nice, YummmmO :evil:

Only kiddin.....

Are you feeling better now???

Hope so.
Take care
Maria
Tas

Postby carla » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:15 pm

Hi Tas,

everything Ive read and heard about the weight plateau syndrome is that you basically just keep going and you start losing again. It's something to do with your metabolism re-adjusting and after the body loses a significant amount of weight to the BMI it's used to, the old metab starts fighting it to save you from possible starvation. It apparently can keep this up for only a certain period before fat starts getting burned again. It also sounds to me as though you may just be increasing muscle mass, with the physical working out you're doing.
carla

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:57 am

Hi Tas, it seems to me you are exercising too much, 3 x 30 min sessions seems an awful lot to me, does not allow enough time for your muscles to "repair".

When doing weights or any weight lifting machines allow 48 hours for your muscles to repair. Because each time you do these kind of exercises you are actually tearing the muscle and then in the 48 hours that is repairs itself your muslces repair stronger and fitter.

So if you are doing weights in your routine do them one day, and then the next day only cardio (treadmill etc.) That is why your abdominals are so sore you are not allowing enough time for them to repair, which could also result in nonweightloss, your body is having trouble adjusting.

You only need to exercise once per day approx 45 min

stretching

warmup (10 min on treadmill) start slow increase to 5.5 - 6 klm per hour

then weight exercises or machines (20 min)

10 min cardio machines

abdominals

stretches

then the next day replace the weights with cardio, alternate day by day

i think also a 30 min routine is not long enough, 45min would be better, so once a day is plenty

Postby linda » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:59 am

Tas,

What is your routine?
linda

Postby Tas » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:12 am

Thanks for your replies:

I have a schedule set out incorporating calve stretches, glute stretches and ham string stretches.

I must add in here that the main reason I gained wieght is lack of ecercise and working long, long hours at the computer over the last 6 years.

My routine for today is:
Ski walker - 15-20 minutes (approx 7k)
ab crunches on gym ball (they are easier than they sound)
Breathing exercises
Tummy vac (on all fours and breathing out and holding in when breathing in)
squats (again, easier than they sound - use a seat with arms across chest )
lunges (using gym ball)
and then abs crunches again

It seems a lot as I type it out but really, I do a few exercises in the morning, some early afternoon and then late afternoon.

If I have been sat at the computer for a couple of hours I will throw in some wor on the mulit-gym but the weight are really light as I do not have a lot of strength in my arms at all.

Every day the routine is different, so I have only included todays efforts.

Yesterday for example we had meetings on and off all day so I did not complete what my schedule was - I felt guilty about it too :roll:

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby linda » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:19 pm

Hi Tas,

I think your routine will develop a slow and steady weight loss as there are more weights than cardio. Cardio is the fastest way of burning fat, but keep up the weights because then when you do lose it your body will be toned and firm and shapely. Do you go to the gym or are you exercising at home. Do you listen to music when using the walker? If you listen to fast paced music that keeps your speed up and actually is a great incentive to keep going. Some other great cardio work too is steps and skipping.
linda

Postby Tas » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:40 pm

HI Linda

Thanks for the information - it all sounds about right too...I have never exercised in this way before so it is all relatively new to me.

I started on this lifestyle change about the 6th October and went out and purchased a few items of gym equipment: ski walker, exercise bike, multi-gym and over the last 3 weeks have employed a personal trainer to assist me. Since I have been seeing the personal trainer I have purchased a gym ball and do the squats and ab reps using that - it is easier for me too.

My main area of weight gain is the abdomen - most other places are ok - my arms and legs are fairly scrawny (can you imagine the shape of me LOL)- hence no muscles..

Yes, I put my headset on and listen to music - I love it - it does certainly help with it.

I am not sure what you mean by steps? Do you mean literally go up and down steps?

Thanks again, I appreciate it.

Cheers
Maria
Tas

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:12 pm

you are so lucky, only weight on in the tummy. Keep at it, the tummy is the hardest to shift and the gym ball is an excellent exercise, much more beneficial than just doing situps on the floor. When I mean step, just a single step will do, just find something that will suffice if you don't have a step. Don't know what it is called now, used to be called "step reebok", and with your music on step up onto the step, one foot then the other, and step back down again one foot then the other, they told me at the gym to do this hanging on to 5kg dumbells one in each hand just at your side, gives more resistance, sometimes {depending upon my energy levels at the time} I just step up and down in time with the music, or without weights jog up and down, and there are all sorts of different routines and stepping motions you can do. But of course if you have access to stairs running up and down will be even better, but hard work.

Postby linda » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:14 pm

bugger, I forgot to log in again, the former message is me, the dope who always forgets to log in!
linda

Return to Weight loss Talk