It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Free Newsletter

Goal Weight?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Goal Weight?

Postby Vegetable » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:09 pm

Ok, so I have (yet again lol) just decided to go back to healthy eating and scrap TF.I have had some unexpected bills come in, so could no longer afford it... I was also becoming a real grump, and thats no good!So, back to Symply books again :D My question is, how important do you think it is to be completely in the 'healthy weight range' for your height? I am 6ft, size 12 feet, big hands. big frame, and I have never been smaller (even at 78kgs in year 7) than a size 16. At 101 kgs now, I am a larger size 16. According to my bmi, I should be between 63-79 kgs.. I think this is too small. My dr wants me to get to 90 kgs. I would be quite happy there :) I put all my info into Calorie king and it said going by my weight, height, censored frame, etc, I should be 81-94 kgs.. Much more achievable I think! :D I dont want to be a supermodel, or wear a bikini or shop in the trendiest stores, I just want to be normal, and healthy. I am in good health (cholesterol, blood pressure, etc) at this weight, and 90 kgs would be a 'happy' weight fo my question is, do you think this is ok? That its not exactly in my Bmi? Sorry so long btw! :D

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:15 pm

hey vegetable

sorry you couldnt continue with tf this time around. at least you arent giving up completely and continuing with your weightloss journey. thats why i cant do programmes like WW, jenny craig, tf, etc etc. i just cant afford it.

i think you know what is right for you. i got to 70kg and i thought 'enough is enough' i am in a size 14 and i like having a bit of weight on me. according to my bmi iam supposed to be about 68 for my healthy weight range, i have lost 21 and therefore know i am better for it than being 21 kg heavier.

you always need to reevaluate your goals. once you reach 90kg you might feel like going that big further. or you might feel happy with where you are. its not only losing the weight its keeping it off that you need to take into consideration too.

so my advice is - go on how you feel. bmi's are ONLY A GUIDE- not the bible that you need to live by. you are going to feel heaps better about your health when you are 90kg than if you stay where you are. keep re evaulating your goals :)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:40 pm

ditto. I would listen to your GP as well and discuss it with them - it's their job to assess your health and help you maximise it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby KimE » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:49 pm

I agree, BMI is a nice guide but how you feel about yourself is a much better one.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Chelle » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:46 pm

Everyone is different. You know yourself what you feel comfortable weight should be. Look i'm 6 feet size 11 foot & can fit in size 10 - 12 pants & weight 77KG. Listen to your doctor & set your goal to 90KG see how you feel if you think your self that you need to set another goal weight come across that when you get there. Good luck

Postby Vegetable » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 am

Thanks for that everyone :) I will go and have another chat with my gp and just make sure that is a good plan :)

Postby Jisgone » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:03 pm

at 90kgs im in size 14 pants and size 16 tops, and according to bmi i should be between 55 and 70 kilos. if i lost another 35 kilos to get to 55 i think ide be dead!

Postby Roar2Life » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:16 pm

At 80kg i'm in a size 14 pants and a size 16 tops.

I'm very similar to you vegetable though not quite as tall. I'm around 5'9", 5'10" and normally take a size 13 in ladies shoes. I also have fairly big hands and am fairly solidly built. As far as i'm concerned BMI's are a load of bulls#@$ because they don't take into accound things such as body fat %, muscle mass, bone mass, etc. The only reason I watch mine is because it has to be in a certain range if I want to be a cop (2nd career choice if I don't get into uni).

My BMI is currently 26.1 which isn't far off normal however I use to be over 30 which is supposed to be obese and yes I was big but I was not obese.

As everyone else has said. Do what feels right for you.
In a world full of people only some want to fly...

Postby dietcoke » Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:14 pm

I seem to have the OPPOSITE problem. I look like I weigh much more than I do. At 62kg, 5'7 I mostly wear size 12 pants, size 10 tops. BMI doesn't take into account muscle, bone density, water storage etc. My friend is the exact same size as me and weighs about 10kg more...and is a couple of inches SHORTER!

Everyone's different. When you think you've reached a point where you are happy and healthy then you can stop losing and just start maintaining.

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:22 pm

Hey Amy,

Everyone has given you some great advice. Use the BMI as a guide only and use your own judgement and satisfaction level determine your ultimate goal weight. If you like what you see at 90kgs and feel comfortable at that goal weight then stick with that. When you do eventually reach your goal weight then re-evaluate the situation. If you’re happy then maintain if not set a new target. Ultimately your body will let you know when to stop losing weight.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs

Return to Weight loss Talk