It is currently Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:12 pm

Free Newsletter

body image issues

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

body image issues

Postby yummymummy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:10 pm

A mum at school approached me the other and said "I was talking about you the other day, and how you went thru uni with kids, lost heaps of weight, look good and so on" and all I could think was cant you tell Ive gained 2kgs and look hidious! Why do I still feel fat and I constantly compare myself to other woman?? Im always asking my husband "do I look like her from behind?" and similar questions.
I still see myself as the big girl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:43 pm

its hard to accept ourselves when we accomplish great things jody. i sometimes say to mick ' do i look like that?' not because i want to be better than everyone else but because i perceive myself to look a certain way. at least i know on the inside i am feeling better than i have in a very long time.

Postby Chelle » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:58 pm

I do that put myself down. You get all these people come up to me that haven't seen me for a while, OMG you look so good ect. I can't see that but people can, i say thanks but Iv'e still got to loose 7 - 12 more kilos & they no you don't you look good as is. To me looking in a mirror I can't see that but when I have a photo of me I can notice a difference. But I suppose my body is never going to be the way it was after having 2 kids. I just have to reliase that.

Postby Donk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:29 pm

That is very true, I saw a video of me recently and was amazed at how "small" I looked, it's weird, because you feel like the same "big" person sometimes, but don't realise what you look like now.

One thing that hit hard was when my brother said I was almost his weight. I was shocked when he told me that.

Postby slimmindown » Tue May 01, 2007 1:17 pm

sometimes I think it takes a while for our minds to catch on the changes our bodies have undertaken.
My sister lost 30 kgs and has been in the 50's for a couple of years now. She still has some body image issues and thinks she is still bigger when she knows rationally that she isnt.

I guess,even though i know its completely different, thats what anorexic girls see, a distorted body image. We, as we loose weight stilll see ouselves as bigger even though we are smaller too :shock:

Just a theory,everyone is different I guess :D :D :D

I look at my before and after pics to see the difference when I'm feeling down and it seems to help :D
[no excuses, I can do it!

Postby vanessa0305 » Tue May 01, 2007 5:13 pm

I have to admit if I look in a mirror I still see a fat me. The only time I can see me, how I look, is in a photo. I have very depressed days where I get so upset about how fat I still am. But I know rationally I am very close to my healthy body weight. mind you knowing it doesn't seem to help

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Tue May 01, 2007 5:31 pm

slimmindown wrote:

I guess,even though i know its completely different, thats what anorexic girls see, a distorted body image. We, as we loose weight stilll see ouselves as bigger even though we are smaller too :shock:

I tottally agree with this slimmindown.

The way we perceive ourselves is embedded in our subconscious mind. And because for so long we are used to seeing ourselves a certain way and associate words with it like 'I'm so fat' at the end we are training our mind to see what we think. So once we get to our desired weight we have to reprogram and tunnel our mind to see the new and improved us rather than the old and I personally think that's the hardest thing to do - battling old ways of thinking.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs

Postby KimE » Tue May 01, 2007 8:12 pm

It can be difficult seeing ourselves as we really are. After starting on maintenance it probably took a good 3 months to really start to like what I saw and believe that I am now a slim person. Don't think I would call myself skinny but then I was never after that and with the weights and exercise I would say I now have a more athletic look which suits me just fine.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby CrimsonThunder » Wed May 02, 2007 3:36 pm

I feel the same way as all of you people. People tell me all the time that I look alot thinner but I just can' t see it at all!

slimmindown wrote:I guess,even though i know its completely different, thats what anorexic girls see, a distorted body image. We, as we loose weight stilll see ouselves as bigger even though we are smaller too

Thats scary but true...
- Stevo

Postby Jisgone » Wed May 02, 2007 8:56 pm

im the same too, after 35kgs lost i look in the mirror and see the same disgusting fat girl. i think i will start to notice as i get closer to my goal weight and my body starts to change shape, at the moment im the same girl only with smaller rolls :P

Postby ZelmaWA » Fri May 04, 2007 7:18 pm

I have been at a lower weight for over a year now and I still don't see myelf at the weight I am (between 75/77kg, depending on the time of month). I don't see myelf as 160kg, although I did for a while, but I see myelf at about 95kg. I look at photos of me at that weight and I think "Yep! That is what I look like." No matter what people say, I can't see the slimmer person they tell me that they see. Even when I see myself in photos I kinda think that maybe they are just good photos. I think my problem is that I have so much loose skin around my tummy, and that is where my eyes focus when I look down. Other people tell me they don't notice it, but it is quite obvious to me.

I also don't have a good image of my size as compared to my 'place in space'. What I mean is that I still sometimes think twice before doing some things as I don't know if I will be able to fit. I am not sure whether I will fit between two cars in a car park, I think twice before sitting in a chair with arms, etc. These things are becoming less common, but it sometimes still makes me stop and think briefly. I suppose after 30 years of being bigger my mind has a few years to catch up with things.

Losing weight has given me a "Freedom" that I had never previously experienced as an adult... and I am LOVING it!!!

160kg (2004)... 73kg (2006)... Working on maintaining.

See my photos at:

Postby Fireball » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:06 am

Just visited your website Zelma. Awesome!

Reading about people's body image on this site is odd to me. I have a big bulgey body but still see myself as healthy & muscular. When I see photos of myself I am shocked by how big I appear, especially my bust.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan

Postby lng86 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:35 am

ZELMA - oh my gosh!!! I read everything on your site. I'm in absolute awe of you.

Everything you wrote, I relate to. Absolutely everything. Wow.

I'm more motivated than ever! Thank you!!!
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)

Return to Weight loss Talk