It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:37 pm

Free Newsletter

The most effective training?

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

The most effective training?

Postby Michael P Brunzell » Fri May 11, 2007 2:29 am

:cry: How do i Get the most effective training?
I´m interested in trying everything that´s worth trying?? Please help me...!!
Michael P Brunzell

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:30 am

i reckon cardio in conjunction with weights
kate_turner2000

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri May 11, 2007 11:29 am

yep - resistance/weight training builds muscle which will raise your resting metabolism. Cardio will burn energy which reduces fat (providing you expend more than you put in, but careful not to make the difference too great or you will slow your metabolism and start burning muscle). Something that mixes the two is great.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Fri May 11, 2007 1:53 pm

I have a friend who is a PT and he told me the most effective tools to lose weight are: a balanced diet (calorie controlled), cardio exercises and weight training.

He also said that at the initial stage of weight loss to place most of your focus on cardio because you are burning fat and not building muscle so you won't see weight gain as a result to building muscle and in turn it won't lesson your motivation to continue with the weight loss. He said the closer you get to your ideal weight then start incorporating weight training as this will then alter the shape of your body too.

Essentially the most effective training is to get your body moving.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Chelle » Fri May 11, 2007 3:01 pm

When you incorperate weight training in with cardio make sure that you only do weight's 3 times a week.
Chelle

Postby KimE » Sat May 12, 2007 10:25 am

Cardio and weights definitely both required. You won't build a large amount of muscle whilst you are in weightloss mode as you will generally be eating less calories than you burn and to build muscle you need to be eating more calories than you burn but you can maintain and strengthen the muscle you have with the added bonus that when the weight starts to come off you muscle will become more visible.

Personally I think if you are serious about using exercise for weightloss (in conjunction with a controlled eating program) you should be doing cardio at least 5 days a week and weights at least 2 times a week, 3 would be better. But hey that's what worked for me and we are all different.

We do have some PT's on here who can give some good advice too.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Michael P Brunzell » Tue May 15, 2007 1:45 am

KimE wrote:Cardio and weights definitely both required. You won't build a large amount of muscle whilst you are in weightloss mode as you will generally be eating less calories than you burn and to build muscle you need to be eating more calories than you burn but you can maintain and strengthen the muscle you have with the added bonus that when the weight starts to come off you muscle will become more visible.

Personally I think if you are serious about using exercise for weightloss (in conjunction with a controlled eating program) you should be doing cardio at least 5 days a week and weights at least 2 times a week, 3 would be better. But hey that's what worked for me and we are all different.

We do have some PT's on here who can give some good advice too.

Ahaa, okey that sounds interesting. I am really a newbie hehe..I agree, i think it´s a good thought to not get in to the groove were just train and stops to eat..That can´t be good..I will try this! I certainly will.

Ps. I´m in a good mood today Ds.
Michael P Brunzell

Postby yummymummy » Tue May 15, 2007 1:19 pm

I agree with Kim, but am not sure how to go about starting weight training without joining a gym so Im concentrating on cardio which I do 5 days a week, and its free, running is great in the 2-3 weeks Ive been doing it Ive noticed some great changes to my body shape which keeps me motivated :D
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby milkyway » Tue May 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Hey Jody, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, not even close! But I too don't have a gym membership as I can't deal with actual weight training with weights (I just find it sooo boring :() but instead what I do for some resistance training is just various push ups (wide arms, make a diamond with my hands), various kinds of sit ups to work the different ab areas, tricep dips and squats as a very basic form of resistance training. I've been meaning to pick up one of those stretchy bands that I can use for bicep curls etc.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby yummymummy » Tue May 15, 2007 1:32 pm

duh! I had never thought of that sort of stuff as weight training I could easily do 10-15 mins after my running to up the anti! thanks :D
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby milkyway » Tue May 15, 2007 1:36 pm

It's probably nowhere near as good as actual lifting weights, but it seems to be working OK for me and I'm sure it's better than nothing.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby MissE » Tue May 15, 2007 2:24 pm

buying your own weights is fairly cheap too, and there are some good resistance DVD's out there, try the Biggest Winner ones, they keep you interested!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Return to Weight loss Talk