It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:18 am

Free Newsletter

Omega (transferred from Introductions)

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Omega (transferred from Introductions)

Postby carla » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:24 pm

linda wrote:I have just read the article on the home page about omega 3's and found it really impressive on the diseases it prevents and how it can actually help in weight loss because it is a "good fat". I don't like fish, and have given up eggs for the moment, but love walnuts. Now my question is what quantity do I consume for best results, at the moment I am just having approximately 6 - 12 a day, is this enough for the benefits or would you need to consume much more than this and if I do how does it affect weight loss?

I have Nature's own 1000mg flaxseed oil capsules. The label states each capsule contains alpha-linolenic acid (om3) 450mg, linoleic acid (om 6) 100mg, oleic acid (om 9!!) 100mg. I have started, as of today, to take three.

But I think it would be wise to put some more fish into the daily eatery plan. Sardines on toast, for brekky for eg. Tuna sanger for lunch. Grilled fish at dinner.

My kids dont generally like fish, which is a pain. I wish they did for their sake as well as mine.
carla

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:12 pm

There's a mix you can buy called LSA which is just ground up Linseeds (Flax), Sunflower seeds and Almonds. Supposed to be high in Omega. Mum puts a spoon on her breakky every morning. Gives a nice nutty flavour as well as being good for you.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:08 pm

I like the sound of that. I believe it is better to get nutrients from their natural source where possible. Will look out for it.

Postby carla » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:09 pm

Anonymous wrote:I like the sound of that. I believe it is better to get nutrients from their natural source where possible. Will look out for it.

That darned log-in...
carla

Postby linda » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:28 pm

Sounds all right to me too, the seeds must be high in omega, because there is little or no omega 3's in almonds, that is why I have been on the walnuts.
linda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:32 pm

The almonds might be for taste. And Linseed (flax) oil and LSA are best kept in the fridge and the oil should beout of sunlight in a dark coloured bottle too apparently. Something to do with preventing a breakdown of the good stuff in it.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Weight loss Talk