It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Free Newsletter

late night binging

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

late night binging

Postby carla » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:41 pm

Ok.

I have identified that my biggest problem is that I am a late-night binge eater. Is there anyone else here who has or ever has had this tendency and wants to overcome or has overcome? I'd really like to swap ideas on how to deal with it.

Would be grateful for any input. Maybe someone knows something I should read or a useful web site?

Anything.

cheers...
carla

Postby Dolly » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:00 am

Yes Carla, I used to binge in the evenings too.
I always found that in the morning I wasn't hungry yet by afternoon and evening I was.
I found the best way for me to deal with it was to delay all my meals for my hungry time.drink coffee or whatever your fav drink is untill noon and then at 12 noon have breakfast
at 4pm have lunch and
at 7pm have dinner.
Before you binge eat have 3 glasses of water, it takes the hunger impact away.
Dolly

Postby linda » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:27 pm

Hi Carla,
Yes i was quite partial to the late night binges. I am sort of getting used to not eating in the evening now, however, when I do feel like the late night snack, I nibble on a few walnuts, has helped me.
linda

Postby carla » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:24 pm

Thanks.

What i thought might be a good idea is to have some home-made vegetable soup in containers in the freezer which I can zap in the microwave and have in a cup. Depending on how it's made, vegie soup has next to no calories and is good for you. Hot food is more filling than cold food too.
carla

Postby Dolly » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:55 pm

That sounds like a great idea, I like the walnut idea or Linda's too.
Just make sure your soup doesn't have too much salt or stock cubes in it.
If you have stimulants (caffeine, alcohol, fruit, sugary foods) after 6pm it can keep your brain switched on making you unable to sleep.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:02 pm

um, just a small correction - alcohol is actually a depressant, not a stimilant - now the sugar in the mixer is another story
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:07 pm

Yes you're right Tegan, but it can be a stimulant too click here - http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/ap ... .Ns.r.html

As Tegan says, alcohol primarily acts on the central nervous system like an anesthetic to lower or depress the activity of your brain.

Think I'll have one glass of red this evening.
cheers
Dolly

Postby carla » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:54 pm

Re the alcohol business, it usually has a depressing effect on me at first, and I feel sleepy, woozy and lethargic. Then, it wakes me up...and makes me quite grumpy. And yes, it will keep me awake *all night*. Especially, for some reason, when the weather is hot.

And by the way, Dolly, congratulations on another kilo gone! :D :D
carla

Postby Dolly » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:07 am

Thanks Carla, I hope you get a good nights sleep tonight.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:19 am

Hi carla,
that's a common reaction to alcohol. Also, the table-top dancing effect. It's basically because alcohol not only depresses the central nervous system making your reactions slower (which is why beer+car=bad) it also depresses neural action that is responsible for mood and impulse control and will basically let the dominant emotion of the time shine through with no checks. So if you feel grumpy, God help your companions, and if you feel sexy, God help the cute guy behind the bar!

Not sure why it would keep you up all night. I assume you stop drinking when you get grumpy since if you keep drinking enough your body can't help but succumb to the depressant - it falls down and goes unconscious! It could be that it lessens control of your thought processes so you can't get to sleep around your "brain traffic", or perhaps, a loss of social regulation makes you want to party party party till the break of dawn!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Weight loss Talk