It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Free Newsletter

changing habits

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

changing habits

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:02 pm

I think Im going to have to approach things differently. Ive got bad habits coming out my ears.

My bad habits include:
-the late night binging
-too many cups of coffee which wouldnt be so bad if I didnt have milk and sugar, but I do...
- at work...sweet biscuits
- eating leftovers that my kids leave on their plates
-I dont know...but Ill think of some more.

Actually, they're the worst habits and the most common ones I committ against myself.
I am working on the late night binging. Cant' say I'm completely clean but I am at least cutting down on what I eat.
The coffee is going to be the biggest problem. I think that therefore this may deserve the most attention at this stage.
The work biscuits, if I could keep it to just ONE, all will be well. It's really just comfort food and rarely a hunger thing. But sometimes it is a hunger thing, from not having had a decent meal before hand or during work. I find if I eat the right food...like, complex carbs and a moderate protein, this burns more steadily and I dont get hunger pangs. If I eat bad food....fatty junk foods or too high sugar content, etc...or sometimes...nothing because I leave in a hurry for work and forget to pack/simply overlook food, then I get actual hunger pangs. A gnawing type, almost painful feeling and feel lethargic and grumpy.

It is becoming evident to me that a fair bit of planning ahead has to occur with diet, that I have to change my atttitude towards food and dieting. Some patterns are there from years of bad habits and unhelpful attitudes about food, not to mention, ignorance.

Another thing, I want to start including how much water I consume throughout the day in my food diary. And any supplements I take.

Tomorrow, I would like to start working on bad habit No.1 ...coffee intake. Just tomorrow, I am drinking NO COFFEE (or caffeined tea). I have some peppermint teabags. I am going to drink peppermint tea JUST FOR TOMORROW.

I dont expect to break and change all these habits overnight. I figure Im in this for the long haul. Change, bit, by bit, by bit. Until it seems normal...to eat healthy, good food in healthy amounts.

I think the same applies to exercise. Not big drastic changes. It just doesnt work for me. Just bit by bit by bit, increasing exercise and forming new habits.

This post will soon be released in paperback.

:D

Postby carla » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:04 pm

ARGGHHHHHH.....

the above post is mine.

But you probably guessed as much!
carla

Postby Dolly » Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:11 pm

Hi Carla, congratulations on being able to recognise your weaknesses and your plan to do something about it.
my weakness is too many carbs in my diet.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:57 am

If you plan on cutting coffee out completely after consuming so much, expect your body to take it out on you as it withdraws from its regular caffeine hit. You might experience headaches, irritability and shakiness. By no means as bad a nicotine withdrawals, but if you are a big coffee drinker, you'll still get some if you go cold turkey.

This year with Uni I was a huge tea drinker. but Saturdays i couldn't have any (cause it makes me go to the loo all the time and i don't have time to do that at work). As a result, I ALWAYS had a headache on Saturday afternoon (although to be fair, it was probably aggravated by not being able to drink enough water either), relieveable only by.....a tea hit.

I'm not drinking as much anymore - only 1-2 cups usually per day rather than 5-6 - and have no probs.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Serena » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:39 am

Those caffeine withdrawals really are tough. I've tried going cold turkey a few times and I get a headache by lunch time and nausea by the afternoon. By bed time I'm about ready to kill someone. And the headache lingers for days until I can't stand it any more and go back to coffee. I think I need to do something about my addiction too.
Serena

Postby miss_muffin » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:55 pm

hey carla. the best thing u can do is take things slowly and tackle one issue at a time.

i used be a coffee person.....i averaged 15-20 cups a day, each with 2 sugars and lots of full cream milk. i now have just one in the morning with skinny milk and no sugar.

coming off so much caffine was tough, i felt awful for a week and then things got better. the way i looked at it was to think that this awfulness is short term and then feeling better will last longer.

i also managed to cut my late nite pastry/bread/cheese binges. i started to ask myself y i was eating it and then by the time i thought it through i was too tired/lizy to eat it :D

yr doing well to have worked out what habits u want to change.....keep up the good work

deb
miss_muffin

Postby carla » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:58 pm

Thanks for support, all.

If I start getting headaches, Im simply going to take some panadeine which I have here ready to pop. I figure headaches wont last forever.

I enjoyed my peppermint tea this morning.
carla

Postby Fairie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:41 pm

Good Luck with your plan Carla and remeber we are here to listen and support you. :D

I love Green Tea with Peppermint and Lemon Balm if you are looking for something different.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Return to Weight loss Talk