It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Free Newsletter

Phantom pregnancy

Anything and everything concerning weight loss.

Moderator: Moderators

Phantom pregnancy

Postby Fi » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:06 pm

I have a problem pregnancy - it's a problem because it doesn't actually exist.

For the past year, I have really dreaded busy public transport, because some well-meaning soul inevitably offers me their seat, even though I am young and healthy. I have a bit of a sway back, which can make my tummy look out of proportion to the rest of me.

I just smile, thank them and decline. The worst instance of this was the day I got engaged - naturally, I was happy and buzzing. I went to try on rings, and the one I liked was a little big, which I mentioned to the shop assistant. She replied, "Oh, but you're pregnant, so you want some extra room in case your hands swell." Well, that ruined my day!

Does anyone else habe this "phantom pregnancy" issue going on?

Also, I've come to the realisation that I need some discipline and guidance, as I'd like to lose at least 15kg. Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of programs, approaches, wtc, that have worked for them? I've only tried WW, and I found it a bit judgemental - I didn't like the "group" approach. Also, I'm lacto-ovo vegetarian, so advice fom other vegos would be awesome!

Thanks.
Fi

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:52 pm

hey fi welcome to the group. sorry you have had such a rough time. :( i havent experienced what you have had but i did go to school with a girl who looked pregnant. the rest of her body like her arms and legs were thin but she looked 9 months pregnant.

we are all really supportive here so feel free to join in when and where you feel comfortable take care
kate_turner2000

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:31 pm

hey mate
I too am sorry that you have had a tough time...ppl dont mean to say dumb thiungs, but they just do somtimes... My best mate is 22 and weighs 60kgs. She looks as though she is about 7 months pregnant. She has never had a baby, so (unlike me who still looks preggy after my boy) went to the dr to get it checked out. Turns out she has IBS (irratable bowel syndrome) and whenever she ate foods that disagreed with her, she would bloat out further. She now avoids wheat, dairy, sugar and caffiene and the problem is MUCH better. have you been to see a dr, or a naturopath? They are usually very helpful, and will check out if there is anything dietary that is causing it... as far as diets, I have done them all! I agree, ww was very 'clicky' I personally think just the eating healthy thing is the way to go (although atm I am doing optifast, drs orders) I say, go and chat with a gp, and maybe they can suggest a suitable eating plan for you? :) xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:34 pm

oh, and also a few months ago, I ran into an old friend. She rubbed my belly and said oooh how much longer?? Must be twins, eh? I said, no, my son in 4...she just apologised, and went red...people just dont think before they talk...try not to take it too personally (I know how hard that is) (((HUGS))) xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby yummymummy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:05 pm

MMmm that suxs big time, Ive been asked if Im pregnant a few times even since Ive lost most of my weight, I was polite about it at all when I was asked the last time ( about a month ago) my reply was pretty much censored OFF!! which isnt the nicest was to talk to my shift coordinator but its so rude, I have a fat stomach for goodness sake this expectation of the perfect body is shocking, I have a pretty screwed up image of myself anyway without others joining in!!
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:37 pm

*hands up those with a flabby belly?!!*

PUTS HAND UP

my tummy is the first place to put on weight. it looks disgusting after having heidi but i guess thats just the way it is *sigh*. ive had people ask if i was pregnant too. and when i wasnt pregnant and working i had a boy at preschool ask if there was a baby in there :shock: :? i avoided him the rest of the day
kate_turner2000

Postby Dee » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm

PUTS HAND UP!!!!
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby milkyway » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:53 pm

I have had a big pot belly since i was born. Even as a wee skinny little thing as a kid, I had a pot belly. Even when my weight dropped down to about 46kg when I was 19, I had a pot belly. When I was 27 and about 53kg I had a pot belly.

I have quite an arch in my lower back which makes it stand out a little further than most... but I remember once when I was rock climbing at Mount Arapiles, I was standing at the base of a climb in funky striped bike shorts and over sized white T - I was probably around 52kg at the time and I was asked by someone when I was due! I was absolutely mortified.

What's really interesting is that as I'm losing weight this time, my belly is getting flatter and flatter and for the first time in my life, I can imagine myself with a flat belly :shock:

Anyhoo, I second that advice about getting checked out for something like IBS - sounds like some serious bloating going on.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Chelle » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:33 am

HANDS UP!!!

Gotta love thoes pot belly's (not) No matter how many situps tummy crunches it never goes away, sorry that you have had a rough time, maby go to the doctors to see if there is somthing that can help the problem.
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:49 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!

People can have a foot in mouth habit, but at least their comment wasn't trying to be nasty.

As far as advice, sensible eating and increase in exercise is my motto.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby zojo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:48 pm

kate_turner2000 wrote:*hands up those with a flabby belly?!!*

PUTS HAND UP

Image Meeeee Meeeeee Meeeeeee...I have a baby belly!! Image
START WEIGHT:80kgs
CURRENT WEIGHT:76kgs
6 WK CHALLENGE:76kgs
12 WK CHALLENGE:70kgs
ULTIMATE GOAL:60kgs
zojo

Postby Sassygirl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:05 pm

My sister is a rather large women (size 26) but has a fantastic sense of humour. We were out shopping one day and met up with a friend who has a small child. The small child came up to my sister and said "why are you so fat?", to which my quick tongued sister replied "because the last little child who asked me that - I ate!!". Hehehehehe :lol:
2008 - my year to be great!!

Sassygirl

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:12 pm

PMSL what a good one!
kate_turner2000

Postby zojo » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Sassygirl wrote:My sister is a rather large women (size 26) but has a fantastic sense of humour. We were out shopping one day and met up with a friend who has a small child. The small child came up to my sister and said "why are you so fat?", to which my quick tongued sister replied "because the last little child who asked me that - I ate!!". Hehehehehe :lol:

START WEIGHT:80kgs
CURRENT WEIGHT:76kgs
6 WK CHALLENGE:76kgs
12 WK CHALLENGE:70kgs
ULTIMATE GOAL:60kgs
zojo

Thanks!

Postby Fi » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:42 pm

Wow thanks so much for thour thoughts! I never actually considered that it might be bloating as well as a little pot belly and a sway back... but it makes sense! I will have it checked out.

That is the best comeback I have ever heard :lol:
Fi

Next

Return to Weight loss Talk